BTO’s Auburn Postgame Report

Barnes had made a change at the under-8 media timeout and this was that move put into action. He altered a staple set of Tennessee’s offense that has three players low near the baseline and two high outside the 3-point line. It normally gives Knecht — or whomever — the opportunity to start in the middle under the hoop and use a screen in either direction. “Instead of having him have a chance to come off either side, we moved him over to one side and told both guys to go get him open,” Barnes said. “We really gave him two-thirds of the court to try to get him open and get the ball. He did it. Then it is up to him to make the moves and the shots that he thinks he’s got.”

Knecht did time and time again. He ran down the baseline on the first play, using a screen from Awaka to get switched onto Broome. He waved away another Awaka screen into full isolation. He hit a 3-pointer over Broome. He used it differently the next time, splitting the screens and getting on Broome again. He went by him for a dunk. “It just gave me a lot more room just to isolate kind of,” Knecht said. “Just to give me the whole side then if I want a screen to call for a screen. It worked.”

The Vols used the set eight times in 10 possessions in the final eight minutes. Knecht started on the left five times and the right three times. He was 3-for-4 shooting out of the adjusted set with seven points. UT got 13 points total on the possessions, pulling away from the Tigers.

Inside the change that unlocked Dalton Knecht for Tennessee basketball vs. Auburn

They can't all score 39 points. Vesco isn't nearly the dynamic scorer DK is, and he isn't forced to be the main threat any longer. That allows him to expend more energy on defense and that has clearly become his primary focus. Any offense we get from him is a bonus, now. We aren't running plays to get him open looks like we have been forced to in the past. We aren't relying on him to be our primary scorer. We were always missing that alpha, and we tried to force him into that role out of necessity. You're likely seeing a version of him that is more true to form.
Agree with this. If everyone will remember we passed the ball around & a big% of time we were taking shots near end shot clock. SV was running around trying to get set up for an open 3 that was our offense. That’s why last years game was under 50 point final score great Ds and no go to O guy unless someone got hot from 3 every 4th or 5th game.

I think it also needs to be underscored just how much that combo of Awaka and Aidoo on the floor at the same time has improved. Towards the beginning of the season, that was a borderline unplayable lineup. Teams abused us when we went two big. Now? They’ve both grown so much throughout the season and that two big lineup has won us some games, or at the very least won us some important stretches in big games.

Knowing we have an inside game that can match the best frontcourt teams in the country AND pair them with the best scoring guard in the nation is a luxury no other team has. I feel like that two lineup is going to be a huge factor in our March success. If they play well, we win. If they struggle, it’s trouble.

If inclined to be enterprising, Vescovi could sit down with the team video archivist and put together an instructional video called "The Little Things." Santi was always a very sly, heady player. But this season I think he's come up with a couple of dozen more ways to create some tiny advantage.

Just for example: How many times do we see him fake the shot from 3, getting his defender into the air and flying past Santi. In past years, Santi would have taken the shot, but not this year.

When you think about it, with that fake, he has reset the chessboard. For 2-3 seconds we have a 5-on-4 advantage, with defensive players changing their positions in response to the fake and Vescovi's defender now out of position.

Does a defender in the low post, anticipating a Vescovi shot, start moving into rebound position--leaving our post open to receive a pass?
On the far side of the court, is the defender distracted so that the Vol he's defending can take off down the baseline to curl open from the near side of the lane?
Does the post defender come out toward Vescovi, creating an opening in the lane for someone out front?

Just watch his eyes next time you see Vescovi get his defender in the air like that, and watch how his teammates respond. This team plays together and anticipates each other's moves--like Vescovi's touch-pass relay from the wing to Aidoo in the lane.

I'd bet if Vescovi made a video illustrating all the little things he does in the course of a game, he'd come up with close to 30 items.

I do not think Bama is going to punk ourVols on Saturday, I feel their defense wont contain Knect again, and this time we will have a JJJ or Santi sidekick scoring. Should be a great game!

Well there was the play that Vescovi landed on top of the Auburn three point shooter and nothing was called. That called saved two or three points for us. It's easy to see the ones that go against you and ignore the ones in your favor.
Who’s side are you on anyway

A lot more to it than simply following 1-4 on KP though, us gaining a Q1 win last night when they didn’t was big. I’ve said I feel we need to match them and I think we’ll pass them, I could see it not being enough but that’s my opinion. 3-0 to finish out and I really struggle to not see us as a 1, if both teams go 2-1 I think we pass them as well.
I agree we should but AZ somehow jumped UConn last night in the NET so my gut is telling me we need to be a game better. If we finish as a 2 seed that’s still incredible though and not much difference vs being a 1, especially with today’s parity. It’s such a fun time of year and I absolutely love this team!

I agree we should but AZ somehow jumped UConn last night in the NET so my gut is telling me we need to be a game better. If we finish as a 2 seed that’s still incredible though and not much difference vs being a 1, especially with today’s parity. It’s such a fun time of year and I absolutely love this team!
Last year the 9th ranked team in NET was a 1 seed, again that’s not cut and dry 1-4.

Reactions: gainesvol82
Barnes had made a change at the under-8 media timeout and this was that move put into action. He altered a staple set of Tennessee’s offense that has three players low near the baseline and two high outside the 3-point line. It normally gives Knecht — or whomever — the opportunity to start in the middle under the hoop and use a screen in either direction. “Instead of having him have a chance to come off either side, we moved him over to one side and told both guys to go get him open,” Barnes said. “We really gave him two-thirds of the court to try to get him open and get the ball. He did it. Then it is up to him to make the moves and the shots that he thinks he’s got.”

Knecht did time and time again. He ran down the baseline on the first play, using a screen from Awaka to get switched onto Broome. He waved away another Awaka screen into full isolation. He hit a 3-pointer over Broome. He used it differently the next time, splitting the screens and getting on Broome again. He went by him for a dunk. “It just gave me a lot more room just to isolate kind of,” Knecht said. “Just to give me the whole side then if I want a screen to call for a screen. It worked.”

The Vols used the set eight times in 10 possessions in the final eight minutes. Knecht started on the left five times and the right three times. He was 3-for-4 shooting out of the adjusted set with seven points. UT got 13 points total on the possessions, pulling away from the Tigers.

Inside the change that unlocked Dalton Knecht for Tennessee basketball vs. Auburn
Thanks for posting this. After reading this, I went back and watched Freak’s full game that he posted on YouTube. I started at the 12 minute mark of the 2nd half. I didn’t notice the change in sets last night, but after reading this article, and then watching, I saw it. Really smart move by Barnes.

Also, prior to that, Knecht shot Auburn out of the zone because Tennessee overloaded one side. Rick Barnes is really a helluva basketball coach.

Last year the 9th ranked team in NET was a 1 seed, again that’s not cut and dry 1-4.
To whatever extent TV audience share might p o s s i b l y be a factor in the committee's deliberations...

Fans around the country who might not care to see "the Vols" play, might very well be motivated to get a look at "this guy" from outa nowhere who's now considered top-5 in the NBA draft. Knecht will definitely draw some eyeballs.

But less cynically, basketball purists on the committee would also reason similarly. They'll this to be the nation's only chance to see this talented, hard-working kid with a special story, ending his college career. I'd expect their brackets to settle on a path that keeps the Knecht story on stage for at least several rounds.

If inclined to be enterprising, Vescovi could sit down with the team video archivist and put together an instructional video called "The Little Things." Santi was always a very sly, heady player. But this season I think he's come up with a couple of dozen more ways to create some tiny advantage.

Just for example: How many times do we see him fake the shot from 3, getting his defender into the air and flying past Santi. In past years, Santi would have taken the shot, but not this year.

When you think about it, with that fake, he has reset the chessboard. For 2-3 seconds we have a 5-on-4 advantage, with defensive players changing their positions in response to the fake and Vescovi's defender now out of position.

Does a defender in the low post, anticipating a Vescovi shot, start moving into rebound position--leaving our post open to receive a pass?
On the far side of the court, is the defender distracted so that the Vol he's defending can take off down the baseline to curl open from the near side of the lane?
Does the post defender come out toward Vescovi, creating an opening in the lane for someone out front?

Just watch his eyes next time you see Vescovi get his defender in the air like that, and watch how his teammates respond. This team plays together and anticipates each other's moves--like Vescovi's touch-pass relay from the wing to Aidoo in the lane.

I'd bet if Vescovi made a video illustrating all the little things he does in the course of a game, he'd come up with close to 30 items.
I honestly don’t agree with this assessment we need more from Santi and JJJ during the tournament can’t expect Dalton to score 39 every game. It’s great those two do things that doesn’t show up in the stat sheet, but yeah we need more.

Ppl forget those two have turned in some below average performances in the tournament over the years and guess who got most of the blame from the fans (Chandler, Keon, Julian Phillips, and Jaden Springer). You know the guys who got drafted…

I honestly don’t agree with this assessment we need more from Santi and JJJ during the tournament can’t expect Dalton to score 39 every game. It’s great those two do things that doesn’t show up in the stat sheet, but yeah we need more.

Ppl forget those two have turned in some below average performances in the tournament over the years and guess who got most of the blame from the fans (Chandler, Keon, Julian Phillips, and Jaden Springer). You know the guys who got drafted…
🤔

I like it better when someone disagrees with something I've said. I usually learn something, if only humility.

But... I'm not sure there's even a way to agree to disagree.

I think it also needs to be underscored just how much that combo of Awaka and Aidoo on the floor at the same time has improved. Towards the beginning of the season, that was a borderline unplayable lineup. Teams abused us when we went two big. Now? They’ve both grown so much throughout the season and that two big lineup has won us some games, or at the very least won us some important stretches in big games.

Knowing we have an inside game that can match the best frontcourt teams in the country AND pair them with the best scoring guard in the nation is a luxury no other team has. I feel like that two lineup is going to be a huge factor in our March success. If they play well, we win. If they struggle, it’s trouble.
100% this. Credit to Barnes for going to the 2 big lineup, but I agree that early in the year it couldn't be done. Both Aidoo and Awaka have improved.

Who’s side are you on anyway
I don't think every call goes against Tennessee like many on here do. It's just lame to be blaming the refs for every loss and throwing conspiracy theories around. You could go to an Auburn message board and the same stupid complaints would be thrown around. Last night they did have the evening out stretch that helped Auburns comeback. I hate it when they do that. At the end of the game we had fewer fouls and more free throws.

It was fair to criticize Phillips last year. Dude had 0 points and 1 board in 12 minutes against FAU. Came out later that he was dealing with an injury but he was a total zero that game especially.

I don’t think anyone blamed chandler for the Michigan loss. He had 19/9 and clearly left it all on the floor.

Springer and Johnson were inefficient in the game against Or St but not terrible. James and Bailey shot terribly. James somewhat compensated by grabbing 13 boards. But really we lost because Or St shot 50% on 3s and ran us out of the gym.

Reactions: Lankykong
The young man “wants it,” as Dykes said he put up 200 shots pregame. I think he also stated Knecht shoots over 2500 (or was it 5k?) per week though he shoots 30 per game. Crazy.

Not many players put up that many shots in a week. Plus he works on his ball handling and defensive skills.

Helps that he has little to no class load. If I was a potential lottery pick and millions of dollars were in my grasp, best believe I'm putting up thousands of shots too.

Heck....if I go to the park and can't find some teenagers or young men to beat up on with my "old man game" then I spend a couple hours practicing crossover step back 3's, midrange pullups, floaters, baby hooks in the post and turnaround jumpers. All these young guys seem to think the game can only be played facing the basket and don't know how to use leverage and a forearm check in the back on defense when they get posted up.

They also don't understand bodying up a guy to direct them the way you want or knock them off their driving line without fouling....been watching too much modern NBA.

Add ZZ's command and shooting as well. That really only leaves us needing 10-15 points between 4 guys (Ma shack, JJJ, Vescovi & Gained) which should be able to happen any given night, efficiency from those 4 and harassing, versatile defense is key.

We have evolved into an improved team that has gelled to where everyone is able to play to their strengths. If they aren't then next man up. I will take our best 8-9 man rotation against anyone due to the balance we have and Knecht being an NBA player going against talented but young guys or guys that have no chance of stopping him.

Good post and your eye contact comment stood out because I've been noticing it a lot. Most of our team has played and practiced together for years. They know what to expect from each other and often only need a look between each other to anticipate and beat the defense.

On defense their communication has always been elite. DK has come in and meshed so we'll that he has similar high level communication and chemistry. DK dominating and others performing well (Aidoo and ZZ at all-SEC level) makes the game fun and our guys are playing much looser this year. Knowing that you have the best player in the country who is also unselfish helps a lot.

VN Store

Back