BTO’s Auburn Postgame Report

bleedingTNorange

1. What a phenomenal game, would’ve sucked losing that one obviously but really it’s sucks for either team, both teams played great and that felt like a battle of Elite 8 type teams. Both teams threw some punches and went on runs, and both teams responded with their own runs and got the lead back, this one felt like ultimately it came down to we had Dalton Knecht and they did not.

2. Speaking of, obviously I’ve gave him his praise in the past but have tried to avoid being a broken record and pointing him out every game, but no way I can ignore todays performance, specifically the 2nd half run he had. Tennessee went down 8 with 12 minutes left to play and Dalton Knecht proceeded to score 25 points, including an 8 minute stretch he dropped 23 points on 9-10 shooting, it was amazing. We’ve seen Grant & Lofton in recent memory, Grant did most his work down low and while he would drive sometimes majority of Lofton’s work came from 3, Knecht really scores at all 3 levels at an elite level unlike any of those guys were able to. I’m not sure how far this team goes, but having a guy like that on your roster is not something many teams have, and is an absolute weapon.

3. Through much of the first half of the season we’ve talked about our struggles against elite big men, Aidoo & Awaka have improved throughout the year and tonight was another test for them going against Broome. While Broome singularly won the statistical battle, combined those guys did more than hold their own. Aidoo & Awaka combined for 23 & 12 on 9-13 FG, Broome & Cardwell combined for 23 & 10 on 9-18 FG. So yes Broome won the battle and showed he’s probably the better big man, but our 2 bigs overall won the battle and outplayed their bigs, something that they weren’t doing earlier in the year against elite bigs. They don’t have to be great, or best those guys, but when we run into one of those bigs we need them to hold their own much like they did tonight.

4. Zeigler had a first 15 minutes I’m sure he would love to forget, but to his credit and much like we’d all expect he responded well and put together a solid game. He had 4 turnovers in about the first 10 minutes, and then finishes the game with 17 points 9 assists 4 rebounds and 4 turnovers, and hitting some huge free throws late while struggling at the line earlier in the game. I thought Auburn’s scout and guards gave him some fits early on for sure but thought he adjusted well and had himself a solid game.

5. We’ve talked about this gauntlet of a 4 game stretch to end the year, have said 2-2 wouldn’t be a shock at all and you’d gladly take anything better, well starting out 1-0 definitely takes some pressure off of you. Given the H2H tie breaks we’ve all but just about got a Top 4 finish in the league and double bye locked up, tonight’s result should also pretty much guarantee a 3 seed at worst in the NCAAT and likely a 2 seed as the floor if you can just find 1 more W. Obviously at this point we have our eyes on much more though, we control our own destiny for a SEC title and given the quality of opponents left we likely also control our own destiny for a 1 seed as well. Saturdays game is gonna be tough, they’re going to want revenge and obviously it’s really tough to win on the road in this league, winning tonight takes some of that pressure off though in what should be a great game.

GBO!!!!

1. What a phenomenal game, would’ve sucked losing that one obviously but really it’s sucks for either team, both teams played great and that felt like a battle of Elite 8 type teams. Both teams threw some punches and went on runs, and both teams responded with their own runs and got the lead back, this one felt like ultimately it came down to we had Dalton Knecht and they did not.

2. Speaking of, obviously I’ve gave him his praise in the past but have tried to avoid being a broken record and pointing him out every game, but no way I can ignore todays performance, specifically the 2nd half run he had. Tennessee went down 8 with 12 minutes left to play and Dalton Knecht proceeded to score 25 points, including an 8 minute stretch he dropped 23 points on 9-10 shooting, it was amazing. We’ve seen Grant & Lofton in recent memory, Grant did most his work down low and while he would drive sometimes majority of Lofton’s work came from 3, Knecht really scores at all 3 levels at an elite level unlike any of those guys were able to. I’m not sure how far this team goes, but having a guy like that on your roster is not something many teams have, and is an absolute weapon.

3. Through much of the first half of the season we’ve talked about our struggles against elite big men, Aidoo & Awaka have improved throughout the year and tonight was another test for them going against Broome. While Broome singularly won the statistical battle, combined those guys did more than hold their own. Aidoo & Awaka combined for 23 & 12 on 9-13 FG, Broome & Cardwell combined for 23 & 10 on 9-18 FG. So yes Broome won the battle and showed he’s probably the better big man, but our 2 bigs overall won the battle and outplayed their bigs, something that they weren’t doing earlier in the year against elite bigs. They don’t have to be great, or best those guys, but when we run into one of those bigs we need them to hold their own much like they did tonight.

4. Zeigler had a first 15 minutes I’m sure he would love to forget, but to his credit and much like we’d all expect he responded well and put together a solid game. He had 4 turnovers in about the first 10 minutes, and then finishes the game with 17 points 9 assists 4 rebounds and 4 turnovers, and hitting some huge free throws late while struggling at the line earlier in the game. I thought Auburn’s scout and guards gave him some fits early on for sure but thought he adjusted well and had himself a solid game.

5. We’ve talked about this gauntlet of a 4 game stretch to end the year, have said 2-2 wouldn’t be a shock at all and you’d gladly take anything better, well starting out 1-0 definitely takes some pressure off of you. Given the H2H tie breaks we’ve all but just about got a Top 4 finish in the league and double bye locked up, tonight’s result should also pretty much guarantee a 3 seed at worst in the NCAAT and likely a 2 seed as the floor if you can just find 1 more W. Obviously at this point we have our eyes on much more though, we control our own destiny for a SEC title and given the quality of opponents left we likely also control our own destiny for a 1 seed as well. Saturdays game is gonna be tough, they’re going to want revenge and obviously it’s really tough to win on the road in this league, winning tonight takes some of that pressure off though in what should be a great game.

GBO!!!!

Grant Williams was at the game tonight and I thought JJJ and Vescovi had solid defensive and rebounding efforts in a very physical game.

The the best I have seen an opponent play and lose. UT whacked'em and they would come right back with a do or die 3 but their shots finally stopped falling in the last 2 minutes. 3 tough games ahead with all our chips in the pot in every game. Then the tournament, we may not see a non-Q1 game for quite a while.

1. What a phenomenal game, would’ve sucked losing that one obviously but really it’s sucks for either team, both teams played great and that felt like a battle of Elite 8 type teams. Both teams threw some punches and went on runs, and both teams responded with their own runs and got the lead back, this one felt like ultimately it came down to we had Dalton Knecht and they did not🏷️

3. Through much of the first half of the season we’ve talked about our struggles against elite big men, Aidoo & Awaka have improved throughout the year and tonight was another test for them going against Broome. While Broome singularly won the statistical battle, combined those guys did more than hold their own. Aidoo & Awaka combined for 23 & 12 on 9-13 FG, Broome & Cardwell combined for 23 & 10 on 9-18 FG. So yes Broome won the battle and showed he’s probably the better big man, but our 2 bigs overall won the battle and outplayed their bigs, something that they weren’t doing earlier in the year against elite bigs.

How often is Broome in foul trouble
Lost track of the times he rose to the occasion
GBO!!!!🏷️🏷️

Reactions: StarRaider
Refs. It’s getting old, but they really stunk up the 2nd half game flow out of halftime. They were calling 2 fouls/minute for most of the second half. I lost count at around 20 total fouls. It might have been over 30 called in the 2nd half. Iirc, 16 called at the 12:00 mark. Might have been 20 fouls called before 10:00.

And I don’t know why they were at the video review display so much. That game ran about 2.5 hours.

It’s tolerable when the final result is in your favor. But they were just bad - both ways.

Bama is not going to be an easy win at their house. Kentucky has definitely improved and South Carolina at their house. That said, we have also improved. Knecht goes into the zone and becomes a machine. Awaka and Aidoo are a great combo, even showing lately they can play against some of the best and hold their own. If either James or Vescovi show promise of a good game, it bodes well for us. Neither made many points--that said, both were disruptive on defense, although Vescovi got in foul trouble. The shot that Knecht missed and Vescovi grabbed was huge at the end of the game.

The refs were awful-- I felt like the whole first and second team was going to foul out.. I guess the one thing we had was that Pearl's team wasn't faring much better with them.

Last edited:

GBO!!!!
2. It's going a little unnoticed just how much better DK has gotten since he got here. He did not arrive here as this player. Coach Barnes has made DK a great all around player and better scorer. His defense, rebounding, handle, and of course scoring have all got significantly better as the season has went on. We are watching something special.

2. It's going a little unnoticed just how much better DK has gotten since he got here. He did not arrive here as this player. Coach Barnes has made DK a great all around player and better scorer. His defense, rebounding, handle, and of course scoring have all got significantly better as the season has went on. We are watching something special.
Yes, I was watching that SEC program featuring the VOLS and they showed a clip from the Michigan State game. He was talented but raw. Barnes is a GREAT coach. If Knecht isn't proof of that, I don't know what is.

Refs. It’s getting old, but they really stunk up the 2nd half game flow out of halftime. They were calling 2 fouls/minute for most of the second half. I lost count at around 20 total fouls. It might have been over 30 called in the 2nd half. Iirc, 16 called at the 12:00 mark. Might have been 20 fouls called before 10:00.

And I don’t know why they were at the video review display so much. That game ran about 2.5 hours.

It’s tolerable when the final result is in your favor. But they were just bad - both ways.
One of the worst non calls was the ball being thrown out of bounds on auburn sideline and it was no where near a tenn player. Just ridiculous how the refs are just terrible.

You also have to give DK credit too. The kid works extra hard to be better- you do not find that much these days.

Yes, I was watching that SEC program featuring the VOLS and they showed a clip from the Michigan State game. He was talented but raw. Barnes is a GREAT coach. If Knecht isn't proof of that, I don't know what is.
First thing I noticed about Barnes when got here was how good player development was. Punter being the first example. He went from ok to off the charts quickly under Barnes

You also have to give DK credit too. The kid works extra hard to be better- you do not find that much these days.
Yeah, great point. First of all the talent is unlimited and you have to want it. Doesn't matter who is coaching if the player doesn't want it.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I came away impressed with Auburn and how well they played on defense and disrupted a lot of what vols do.

As you said, a lot of this win comes down to DK. I don't think I've ever seen a vols team have a true NBA level player who's playing at the peak of their powers and doing it on a nightly basis. Grant, Tobias, McRae, Lofton just to name a few were all great players, some made it to NBA. But none of them had that look of an NBA level player against college players which is what I feel when watching DK.

Gotta somehow find at least one more win in the next 3. USC can't seem to die, bama offense will be a load, and UK will be hungry and confident.

BOOM!

We shot really well from the field as a team with 50% from 2-pt range (includes ZZ going 0-6) and 53% from 3 (ZZ was 3-3 and DK shot 63%) which were both better than AU could manage. We really struggled for a stretch with missed FT's after shooting really well in the 1st half...thankfully we found our stroke again and started making them again. The defense of Aidoo and Awaka was really solid...a few of those fouls called on them were petty imo given their verticality and defensive position...JJJ deserves some praise for his impact on the defensive end as well giving us 6 reb and 4 blocks. Lastly, our team rebounding was a huge factor as we really controlled the boards with a 7 board advantage for the Vols.

Oh, and Pearl really chose a bad time to get a technical. Really enjoyed this win...GBO!!!

In the 1st half the refs let them play, suddenly in the 2nd half every touch became a foul. Poor ole Aidoo would just be standing flat footed with his arms straight over his head, Broome would jump into him and another foul on Aidoo. I guess in the refs mind the defender should back away while he shoots. It wasn't an unfairly called game but it was poorly officiated. Define what is going to be a foul at the beginning of the game and stay consistent. They clearly changed what they whistled a foul, from 1st half to 2nd half. Was it because of coach criticisms? Does the league office call them at half and critique them? Do they just drink some Jack D at halftime and say "hump it, let's a little fun"? Hmmm? Good win nevertheless

Basically, if we beat Bama and USCe we win the SEC regular season. as long as we don't lose to Kentucky by more than 11? Not saying we will lose to them just doing the math if we split with them we end up tied and wouldn't the tiebreaker come down to margin of victory?

Reactions: Hammer85

Auburn’s games always seem to go over 2 hours. With the way they play defense and physical mode they bring they are going to foul and foul a lot. Bruce works the officials and he’s saying this is the way we play, and you cant call every foul. Although I loved the T he got last night. Gave us some momentum. Their players take on Bruce’s personality, they are easy not to like. They play with a chip on their shoulder and a strong competitive drive. We answered the bell last night big time!

Last edited:
Glad to see the “Barnes coaches offense out of players” narrative take a shelf

Basically, if we beat Bama and USCe we win the SEC regular season. as long as we don't lose to Kentucky by more than 11? Not saying we will lose to them just doing the math if we split with them we end up tied and wouldn't the tiebreaker come down to margin of victory?
If we beat UScC and Bama, it doesn’t matter about Kentucky game.

VN Store

Back