BTO’s Missouri postgame report

We just went 3-3 in the toughest stretch of the SEC season. How is that mediocrity?

Most people said before we started the SEC season that 3-3 was the realistic expectation. 4-2 was “great” and anything more than that was amazing.

Most of the people on this board act like every loss is the end of the season. Just like during the game, any time we are behind 5+, people start saying “game over”. Take a Xanax please.

What's frustrating is watching them beat teams like Purdue, NC State and KY by playing with intensity and effort and playing lackadaisical and lose to teams like Auburn, Mizzou and Arkansas. That's why they will finish in the middle of the SEC and be somewhere between a 7 to 9 seed come tourney time at which point our putrid guard play will cause an early exit from the tourney.

What's frustrating is watching them beat teams like Purdue, NC State and KY by playing with intensity and effort and playing lackadaisical and lose to teams like Auburn, Mizzou and Arkansas. That's why they will finish in the middle of the SEC and be somewhere between a 7 to 9 seed come tourney time at which point our putrid guard play will cause an early exit from the tourney.

And that will still be improvement over the season before.

I agree it is frustrating when we play this way, but I think we will finish in the top 4 of the SEC (regular season) and end up a 5 or 6 seed.

We aren't contending for a national championship this year. And outside of those teams everyone deals with game to game ups and downs.

Btw, Auburn > Kentucky. Arkansas and Missouri > NC State

I agree it is frustrating when we play this way, but I think we will finish in the top 4 of the SEC (regular season) and end up a 5 or 6 seed.

It's a long season.

I'm sure Purdue fans are frustrated that they can lose to Western Kentucky and smash other better teams.

Duke can lose to NC State and Boston College but beat Michigan State

Gonzaga can lose to San Diego State, but beat Ohio State

Kansas can lost to a horrible Washington team but beat West Virginia.

Have some perspective, people. Yes any single game can be frustrating, but what matters is how they all shake out down the stretch. This was probably the second hardest game on our remaining schedule. It's not a bad loss.

We aren't contending for a national championship this year. And outside of those teams everyone deals with game to game ups and downs.

Btw, Auburn > Kentucky. Arkansas and Missouri > NC State

No way Arkansas better than NC State. Mizzou would be debatable. State has defeated both Duke and Clemson. Will end up being a great win on our resume at the end of the year.

It's a long season.

I'm sure Purdue fans are frustrated that they can lose to Western Kentucky and smash other better teams.

Have some perspective, people. Yes any single game can be frustrating, but what matters is how they all shake out down the stretch. This was probably the second hardest game on our remaining schedule. It's not a bad loss.

:thumbsup:

If its the start of an 0-3 or 1-4 stretch its time to worry.

Hope you're correct, however, I am skeptical since we seem to have a lifeless game every 3 to 4 games. Last night was a very winnable game had we brought our A game.

Hope you're correct, however, I am skeptical since we seem to have a lifeless game every 3 to 4 games. Last night was a very winnable game had we brought our A game.

A lifeless game every 3-4 games would mean we finish 22-8 or 21-9

That would be a great season.

Tennessee basketball can be so much more than it's history suggests. Just like Florida has done. We can do the same. Our history is better than Florida's also.

People who think this isn't a good job are lying to themselves and have a loser mentality.

Our basketball history is better than Florida’s?

No way Arkansas better than NC State. Mizzou would be debatable. State has defeated both Duke and Clemson. Will end up being a great win on our resume at the end of the year.

Yet they’ve lost to UNC-Greensboro and Northern Iowa...2 teams that if Tennessee lost to you’d be calling for the coaches head, hmmm.

The people freaking out over a 3-3 start and saying we are mediocre are the same people who after we win 3 or 4 against lesser teams are going to be asking if we are a national title contender...or when GW goes for 35 are gonna ask if he’s leaving early for the NBA.

Reactions: 1 person
It's a long season.

No such thing. Tunnel vision abounds. Either Barnes is a horrible coach and this team sucks and is bound for the NIT. Or, Barnes is infallible and above any sort of coaching malpractice at any point in time. No room for anything in between.

Correct. Before they hired Donovan I mean. They changed their history. That was the whole point of my post.

I agree...but let’s see what Florida is without Donovan. White took over a nice situation, let’s see where they are in 2 years, I don’t see him winning titles like Donovan did.

The people freaking out over a 3-3 start and saying we are mediocre are the same people who after we win 3 or 4 against lesser teams are going to be asking if we are a national title contender...or when GW goes for 35 are gonna ask if he’s leaving early for the NBA.

I won't be doing any of those things.

No such thing. Tunnel vision abounds. Either Barnes is a horrible coach and this team sucks and is bound for the NIT. Or, Barnes is infallible and above any sort of coaching malpractice at any point in time. No room for anything in between.

You can’t be serious.....

I agree...but let’s see what Florida is without Donovan. White took over a nice situation, let’s see where they are in 2 years, I don’t see him winning titles like Donovan did.

Donovan is an all time great. He might not be able to do what Donovan did but making the elite 8 is more than a nice start. Currently leading the SEC after a 5-1 start.

And looking to the future, he signed two 4* and a 5* in the 2018 class. Outrecruited us for a legacy player last class as well.

Will he maintain it? Who knows? He's a young guy so his story is still to be written. Florida is set up for success because they made one good hire.

Donovan is an all time great. He might not be able to do what Donovan did but making the elite 8 is more than a nice start. Currently leading the SEC after a 5-1 start.

And looking to the future, he signed two 4* and a 5* in the 2018 class. Outrecruited us for a legacy player last class as well.

Will he maintain it? Who knows? He's a young guy so his story is still to be written. Florida is set up for success because they made one good hire.

The guy I was screaming from the roof tops for us to hire

It doesn't.

It describes TGO and a few drive bys.

I have been very supportive of Barnes. Agree or disagree?

I commented on a few issues where I think he was outcoached last night, or made some errors in strategy, and now I am labeled a Barnes hater by several on here. You can't have a neutral stance and praise what warrants praising and question what warrants questioning without being labeled one extreme or the other. You, of all people should know that.

VN Store

Back