BTO’s Missouri postgame report

I have been very supportive of Barnes. Agree or disagree?

I commented on a few issues where I think he was outcoached last night, or made some errors in strategy, and now I am labeled a Barnes hater by several on here. You can't have a neutral stance and praise what warrants praising and question what warrants questioning without being labeled one extreme or the other. You, of all people should know that.

Yeah, I get what you're saying.

No negative talk is allowed about him.

CNC - I disagree with some overall "strategies" by Barnes so you can see how that goes over for me.

You disagree on a couple coaching moves - you get the wrath.

I just disagree on some more general all-encompassing issues so I get it all the time. Complete overreaction by board posters.

I’ve questioned some of Barnes moves and even did so in this OP...so I also am not blindly supporting, but lump me in with that group I suppose.

I’ve only saw 1 or 2 blindly supporting everything, most have agreed some criticism is due but also acknowledge he’s still doing a damn good job with this team...both things can be true.

That’s possible, he’s impressed me so far.

See man, those are the types of guys we should be hiring IMO. As I've said a dozen times, I get why we hired Barnes. He brought stability.

But to me, if you're a school like Tennessee you should always be trying to find a coach to build the program around. Barnes is not that guy. Hoping he sets it up nicely for the next guy though.

See man, those are the types of guys we should be hiring IMO. As I've said a dozen times, I get why we hired Barnes. He brought stability.

But to me, if you're a school like Tennessee you should always be trying to find a coach to build the program around. Barnes is not that guy. Hoping he sets it up nicely for the next guy though.

As do I...you don’t hear me saying I hope Barnes is here for 20 years and we make the dance 1/4 years. I think he was the right hire at that time, now when the time comes to make another hire hopefully the guys that turned us down like Mike White will say yes this time around.

Reactions: 1 person
As do I...you don’t hear me saying I hope Barnes is here for 20 years and we make the dance 1/4 years. I think he was the right hire at that time, now when the time comes to make another hire hopefully the guys that turned us down like Mike White will say yes this time around.

Yeah, and a lot of White's success is due to walking into a great situation.

I'm hoping Barnes leaves the next guy set up to win. That hasn't happened for our last few coaches.

And I think that was always the long-term plan for the program. You don't hire a 60 year old coach with the idea that he is the long-term solution. Ideally, Rick builds up and NCAAT-level team and program, retires and hands it off to a younger, proven and capable coach who can build on it. Not many would disagree with that strategy.

And I think that was always the long-term plan for the program. You don't hire a 60 year old coach with the idea that he is the long-term solution. Ideally, Rick builds up and NCAAT-level team and program, retires and hands it off to a younger, proven and capable coach who can build on it. Not many would disagree with that strategy.

Yeah I understand why the hire was made.

It also is a good hire for an AD who wants longevity. Very safe hire.

No way Arkansas better than NC State. Mizzou would be debatable. State has defeated both Duke and Clemson. Will end up being a great win on our resume at the end of the year.

They beat Duke and Clemson, but also lost to UNC Greensboro and Northern Iowa. I follow NC State hoops more than any other team except the Vols, obviously. I've watched a lot of their games. Arkansas is a tournament team. NC State is most likely not.

For the record, BTO, I think an AD who wanted to win and wasn't scared would have landed Mike White.

Last edited:
They beat Duke and Clemson, but also lost to UNC Greensboro and Northern Iowa. I follow NC State hoops more than any other team except the Vols, obviously. I've watched a lot of their games. Arkansas is a tournament team. NC State is most likely not.

Agree those could end up being " bad " losses, however, UNCG is having a decent season and both could end up NCAAT teams. I think the ACC will get as many if not more teams in than the SEC so I wouldn't count State out, however, you know more about them an me since you see their games. Just thinking they must be pretty good to beat Duke.

Agree those could end up being " bad " losses, however, UNCG is having a decent season and both could end up NCAAT teams. I think the ACC will get as many if not more teams in than the SEC so I wouldn't count State out, however, you know more about them an me since you see their games. Just thinking they must be pretty good to beat Duke.

Wofford beat UNC

Yeah. Didn't want to give him security that White wanted.

Worried about balancing the budget instead of winning.

On the flip side White wanted security because of the shape of the roster and rebuild he knew was necessary...shows what the perception was.

On the flip side White wanted security because of the shape of the roster and rebuild he knew was necessary...shows what the perception was.

Roster was bad. The previous two coaches really did a number on it. He should have been given the security he wanted. We've got the money. Instead we went after a guy who had the NCAA on his trail and we didn't even vet him using a search firm.

Roster was bad. The previous two coaches really did a number on it. He should have been given the security he wanted. We've got the money. Instead we went after a guy who had the NCAA on his trail and we didn't even vet him using a search firm.

Should be much more appealing this go around whenever that may be

VN Store

Back