Brooklynn Miles

Brooklyn Miles will be an asset to the Lady Vols.
quote me!
I have yet to make a bad call on a player and won't on this one

I want a PG who can handle the rock and disperse the rock and drive the rock,,,shooting the rock is dead last for a PG for me
I have not watched her play in person.
I do know people who have, and I trust their opinions. They said she can do a lot of things on the court at a high level.
Shooting is not one of them.
Though she does have time to improve.
I hope for 2 things to happen.
1. She becomes a LV
2. She develops a good outside shot.
I have a question. If being able to shoot well is last on your list for what a pg can do, does that mean it should be of least concern for her, as far as what she should practice ?

I only have one question, can Miles shoot the rock?
Not very well. I'd like 5 shooters on the floor. I especially like the point guard to be able to shoot; along with being a good leader and a good ball handler. If the pg can't shoot, a defender is free to double team the best shooter, or clog the middle. It really hurts to have a guard on the floor who the defense knows is not a threat from outside.

Last edited:
Not very well. I'd like 5 shooters on the floor. I's especially like the point guard to be able to shoot; along with being a good leader and a good ball handler. If the pg can't shoot, a defender is free to double team the best shooter, or clog the middle. It really hurts to have a player on the floor who the defense knows is not a threat from outside.
sounds very familiar to Jaz

I have not watched her play in person.
I do know people who have, and I trust their opinions. They said she can do a lot of things on the court at a high level.
Shooting is not one of them.
Though she does have time to improve.
I hope for 2 things to happen.
1. She becomes a LV
2. She develops a good outside shot.
I have a question. If being able to shoot well is last on your list for what a pg can do, does that mean it should be of least concern for her, as far as what she should practice ?

I want a PG to run the point
YES!!! a basketball player, post, forward, or PG should practice every aspect of the game...But I do not want a PG who shoots first and passes second.

Drive the open lane, shoot if the D backs off of you, but getting the ball from the back court to the front court is #1 and dishing dimes is #2,, defense is way up there too.

Miles can do what I need her to do and can learn to be better at what you want her to do

YES!!! a basketball player, post, forward, or PG should practice every aspect of the game...But I do not want a PG who shoots first and passes second.

Drive the open lane, shoot if the D backs off of you, but getting the ball from the back court to the front court is #1 and dishing dimes is #2,, defense is way up there too.

Miles can do what I need her to do and can learn to be better at what you want her to do
You moved the goal posts coach.
From "shooting the rock is dead last for a PG for me" to "shoot if the D backs off"
If she shoots in the low 30% from outside, it will be extremely difficult for her to be a net positive. Hopefully, she becomes a LV and also becomes an outside shooter worthy of defending.

Reactions: GameTime

If we get ACE next year, Miles does not have to be a shooter.

Not very well. I'd like 5 shooters on the floor. I especially like the point guard to be able to shoot; along with being a good leader and a good ball handler. If the pg can't shoot, a defender is free to double team the best shooter, or clog the middle. It really hurts to have a guard on the floor who the defense knows is not a threat from outside.

This is the problem when you strike out on your top choices in recruiting, you're forced to settle to fill a need...

I want a PG who can handle the rock and disperse the rock and drive the rock,,,shooting the rock is dead last for a PG for me

The way the game has evolved, positions 1-4 have to shoot 33%+ from 3 to be effective. Look at Barnes team from 2 years ago, now imagine it with a PG that shoots 29%. Look at all the best teams, WCBB, MCBB, NBA ... positions 1-4 shoot the 3 well enough that the defense has to extend. Positions 1-3 need to shoot 35%+ and two of them need to be able to hit 25 footers. If you have that, you have space to run your offense, cut, dish. Turnovers decline, offensive efficiency increases, posts have room to move and pass. Even your defense improves because there is less transition. Shooting creates opportunity. One guard that can't shoot, kills opportunity.

Coach, I don't agree with you my friend......The pg is often the straw that stirs the drink....As stated by others, if she is a liability shooting the ball, the other (smart) teams will back off of her and let her shoot her low percentage floor shots.....

Yes, she can drive the lane and make great passes, but once the college book of her skills is written and studied, adjustments will be made by the better teams....Let her shoot and crash the boards when she misses...

Shannon Bobbitt was the straw that stirred the drink that led to back to back titles for the Lady Vols....The little girl could shoot and when they came out to stop her she either drove by them or passed the ball to Parker and her friends....

Hopefully Miles will develop her shooting skills....She has all the other talents needed to be a good pg, but playing 4 against 5 doesn't often end well...

Her video of her game highlights is very impressive, but the complete game that was posted earlier in this thread, is far from impressive....Maybe it was just a less than spectacular game for her...Sure hope so.

Coach, I don't agree with you my friend......The pg is often the straw that stirs the drink....As stated by others, if she is a liability shooting the ball, the other (smart) teams will back off of her and let her shoot her low percentage floor shots.....

Yes, she can drive the lane and make great passes, but once the college book of her skills is written and studied, adjustments will be made by the better teams....Let her shoot and crash the boards when she misses...

Shannon Bobbitt was the straw that stirred the drink that led to back to back titles for the Lady Vols....The little girl could shoot and when they came out to stop her she either drove by them or passed the ball to Parker and her friends....

Hopefully Miles will develop her shooting skills....She has all the other talents needed to be a good pg, but playing 4 against 5 doesn't often end well...

Her video of her game highlights is very impressive, but the complete game that was posted earlier in this thread, is far from impressive....Maybe it was just a less than spectacular game for her...Sure hope so.

She got a year to add to her arsenal and then a year to cure in the NCAA before Jordan graduates,,,she'll be a heckuva catch GT,,,Count on it
I'm not going on the vids, GT, her AAU coach and I have had conversations about her...I'll take an elite AAU coach's word over 1 video...He says she is a beast on defense and a game-changer and fights in battles with girls taller than her....I trust a coach who has seen her countless times in practice and game before I trust a single video

Last edited:
Directly from her EYBL coach's words:

"She was our starting pg on a final 4 eybl team. She was one of the best in the league. She was the quickest in the league. She averaged way over 20 ......21.7 (PPG) to be exact in high school"

I asked about her threes:

"Probably 35/37 %"

She is the #46 player in the country!...Quit worrying

How well I want my point guard to shoot from long-range depends on whether there's anyone else on the team that can consistently hit an outside shot. Unfortunately there has been no one for the LVS the last few years. So at this point I don't care where it comes from we need a consistent, legitimate threat outside shooter.

If scoring is far down on your list for a PG then why in the world would you want Jordan Horston to be one? Her greatest potential asset Imo is as a consistent scoring threat to help take pressure off Davis. Why would you want to take her away from what she does best, scoring, to a steady diet of what she struggles with most ,ball handling

I understand this will probably happen out of necessity. I just pray JH makes the same offseason ball-handling Improvement that jazz made last offseason I think we all realize how important that Improvement will be to our chances next season

How well I want my point guard to shoot from long-range depends on whether there's anyone else on the team that can consistently hit an outside shot. Unfortunately there has been no one for the LVS the last few years. So at this point I don't care where it comes from we need a consistent, legitimate threat outside shooter.

If scoring is far down on your list for a PG then why in the world would you want Jordan Horston to be one? Her greatest potential asset Imo is as a consistent scoring threat to help take pressure off Davis. Why would you want to take her away from what she does best, scoring, to a steady diet of what she struggles with most ,ball handling

I understand this will probably happen out of necessity. I just pray JH makes the same offseason ball-handling Improvement that jazz made last offseason I think we all realize how important that Improvement will be to our chances next season

see the post above your last one...Miles can score, 3 ball, 2 ball, 8 ball in the corner pocket

From "shooting the rock is dead last for a PG for me" to "shoot if the D backs off"
If she shoots in the low 30% from outside, it will be extremely difficult for her to be a net positive. Hopefully, she becomes a LV and also becomes an outside shooter worthy of defending.

And you cannot be a poor free throw shooter.

Reactions: mcannon1 and glv98
Does anyone have Miles shooting stats for three years of high school. I know there is some stats where she had a few bad AAU games which can happen to anybody. If she average 22 ppg last year she is either a volume shooter or is making a decent percentage. I saw one game where she made 7 free throws in a row but don't have her overall stats for last season or any season before.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
And you cannot be a poor free throw shooter.

30% puts her tied for 4th on our active roster last year

Seeing if her AAU coach has any info on freethrows...

Does anyone have Miles shooting stats for three years of high school. I know there is some stats where she had a few bad AAU games which can happen to anybody. If she average 22 ppg last year she is either a volume shooter or is making a decent percentage. I saw one game where she made 7 free throws in a row but don't have her overall stats for last season or any season before.

She shot 21.7 ppg last year,,,I do not have the breakdown

She shot 21.7 ppg last year,,,I do not have the breakdown

If you're that concerned about the 3 - Don't just ask what her % is. It's important to know how many attempts i.e., it's hard to judge someone who had 10 attempts. What was her role? Maybe her coach didn't want her to shoot 3s as much as distribute the ball and use her speed to drive.

If you're that concerned about the 3 - Don't just ask what her % is. It's important to know how many attempts i.e., it's hard to judge someone who had 10 attempts. What was her role? Maybe her coach didn't want her to shoot 3s as much as distribute the ball and use her speed to drive.

That's just it,,,I'm not concerned. I trust my own eye for talent and Brooklyn Miles is going to be an impact player in the realm of Crystal Dangerfield variety by the time she ends her career at UT...I don't think it will be a day one thing, but I do feel she will become a very important player in year two

That's just it,,,I'm not concerned. I trust my own eye for talent and Brooklyn Miles is going to be an impact player in the realm of Crystal Dangerfield variety by the time she ends her career at UT...I don't think it will be a day one thing, but I do feel she will become a very important player in year two

I’d prefer we compare her to a PG who actually won a title.

VN Store

Back