Brilliant to have a 26% 3 point shooter fire it up with the game on the line…

James was the wrong guy taking a game winning/losing 3 pointer. Befuddled Chandler wasn't in the game. Bailey was also open who I didn't want taking it but Vescovi broke open at the end. Just because you hit a couple of clutch 3 pointers early don't mean it's the right strategy. He still shoots 26%.

There is no passion for winning on this team anymore like there was the first few games of the season, execution is awful, shooting percentages are usually abysmal, no offensive schemes, no chemistry, too many projects on the roster, turnovers and brainless basketball plays are too many to be competitive in big road games (who fouls a guy at the half line with a second left in the half), but occasionally they do put it all together like the Arizona and LSU games, but the Texas Tech and Texas games show the inconsistency that is unacceptable at this level. I think Barnes has a roster of great kids, slightly above average basketball players and runs a clean program that has some built in ceilings given the talent recruitment methodology and difficulty building out chemistry and offensive identity. They are entertaining, often frustrating to watch live and not championship caliber or contenders in the conference this year.

There is no passion for winning on this team anymore like there was the first few games of the season, execution is awful, shooting percentages are usually abysmal, no offensive schemes, no chemistry, too many projects on the roster, turnovers and brainless basketball plays are too many to be competitive in big road games (who fouls a guy at the half line with a second left in the half), but occasionally they do put it all together like the Arizona and LSU games, but the Texas Tech and Texas games show the inconsistency that is unacceptable at this level. I think Barnes has a roster of great kids, slightly above average basketball players and runs a clean program that has some built in ceilings given the talent recruitment methodology and difficulty building out chemistry and offensive identity. They are entertaining, often frustrating to watch live and not championship caliber or contenders in the conference this year.
Considering he is paid at the highest of levels, we deserve better.

It’s not a set play for James. That’s just who was open and who ZZ passed the ball to. It was a really good play design. Multiple options and we got an open shot.

You need to make a shot to win, JJJ shouldn’t be on the floor.

Of course he is open, the damn scouting report probably says play off him so he gets the shot.

Last edited:
James was the wrong guy taking a game winning/losing 3 pointer. Befuddled Chandler wasn't in the game. Bailey was also open who I didn't want taking it but Vescovi broke open at the end. Just because you hit a couple of clutch 3 pointers early don't mean it's the right strategy. He still shoots 26%.

Bailey should have done what Olivier did on the play. Olivier should have been in the post. Because we had no one in the post, Texas was able to have multiple defenders at the free throw line area, well away from the basket. If there's a threat to have anyone down there to receive a pass, they can't run the whole team at ZZ. Even if Bailey had crashed towards the basket, that draws a defender away or he's open for a lay up. The play looks drawn up specifically to get a 3 for JJJ.

You do realize there were 3 Texas players clogging the lane? They weren’t letting ZZ get to the basket. It was a good play design with more than one option. The shot just didn’t fall.
Bingo. There is also the likelihood that ZZ doesn’t draw a foul call on Texas’ home court. Officials generally swallow their whistle in that situation. And I don’t want to hear about Vescovi either. He had been effectively taken out of the game and was cold as ice.

Bailey should have done what Olivier did on the play. Olivia should have been in the post. Because we had no one in the post, Texas was able to have multiple defenders at the free throw line area, well away from the basket. If there's a threat to have anyone down there to receive a pass, they can't run the whole team at ZZ. Even if Bailey had crashed towards the basket, that draws a defender away or he's open for a lay up. The play looks drawn up specifically to get a 3 for JJJ.

If your last sentence is remotely true then it's puzzling.

Bailey should have done what Olivier did on the play. Olivia should have been in the post. Because we had no one in the post, Texas was able to have multiple defenders at the free throw line area, well away from the basket. If there's a threat to have anyone down there to receive a pass, they can't run the whole team at ZZ. Even if Bailey had crashed towards the basket, that draws a defender away or he's open for a lay up. The play looks drawn up specifically to get a 3 for JJJ.

If that was a play designed for JJJ, then 1985 has been right all along

Reactions: brockytop
Have y’all even played ball?
ZZ clearly drove the ball, Texas was there, so he has to make a split second decision to kick it out. JJJ wide open.

Didn’t hear anyone complaining when JJJ hit the 3 that sparked the run and another during it.

Bailey In over Chandler because Bailey brought heat and energy on D.

The 5 that ended the game were the 5 that made the run.

Reward good play.

Get out of here with your soft armchair BS

I just don't understand why you go for the three when drawing a foul or shooting for two would get the job done.
You have 6 seconds to get an open shot. When you get the open shot you shoot it. 30 had hit three threes late in the game and its was our best chance. 5'9 ZZ was not going to get a shot off in the lane.We missed the shot and we lost. I was amazed that we even were able to tie the game, much less have an outside chance to win it,

It’s not a set play for James. That’s just who was open and who ZZ passed the ball to. It was a really good play design. Multiple options and we got an open shot.

3 guys in the lane means others were purposely left open, a “beautifully” designed play gets your best scorer an open look not an average at best shooter but I get it that’s your thing to constantly make excuses

You have 6 seconds to get an open shot. When you get the open shot you shoot it. 30 had hit three threes late in the game and its was our best chance. 5'9 ZZ was not going to get a shot off in the lane.We missed the shot and we lost. I was amazed that we even were able to tie the game, much less have an outside chance to win it,
I had high hopes we could pull it off. Gutted, but it is what it is. I still think that taking a 3 was the wrong decision.

6 seconds is an eternity in basketball

VN Store

Back