Brilliant to have a 26% 3 point shooter fire it up with the game on the line…

33.5% after 2 years. JJJ began this year with an injured shooting hand. 78% free throw shooting indicates that shooting isn’t an issue.
Was he shooting a free throw? No. He was shooting a 3 in crunch time. And his career percentage from 3 is not good. Not sure why you are trying to make this point

Reactions: patrick
Lots of people in this thread that don’t understand the game. This thread is harder to read than tennessee’s offense was to watch tonight. The previous 2 games, the offense flowed much better, then tonight happened. We need to figure out something that works consistently on offense. The last play was not the issue. It was designed to get us some options and the option that was open was a good look at 3. With 6 seconds left and the Full length of the court to go, you can’t ask for much better. Most of the time, teams end up heaving Up some kind of wild shot there or take it in too deep and get stuck. You can’t just name what shot you want in that situation. It doesn’t work that way. Basketball isn’t that easy. Sure a layup would be great but what kind of crappy defense would give up a layup there? So yeah with 6 seconds and full court to go, your hope is to get a remotely clean look and we did.

Lots of people in this thread that don’t understand the game. This thread is harder to read than tennessee’s offense was to watch tonight. The previous 2 games, the offense flowed much better, then tonight happened. We need to figure out something that works consistently on offense. The last play was not the issue. It was designed to get us some options and the option that was open was a good look at 3. With 6 seconds left and the Full length of the court to go, you can’t ask for much better. Most of the time, teams end up heaving Up some kind of wild shot there or take it in too deep and get stuck. You can’t just name what shot you want in that situation. It doesn’t work that way. Basketball isn’t that easy. Sure a layup would be great but what kind of crappy defense would give up a layup there? So yeah with 6 seconds and full court to go, your hope is to get a remotely clean look and we did.

Exactly right. Got the ball back to our PG with options. Clean look with 6 seconds.

My issue is that we were set and ran a play that has no chance for anything but a 3, down 1. ZZ was at the top of the key with 4 seconds left but the play itself was poorly designed so we got a low percentage shot.

My issue is that we were set and ran a play that has no chance for anything but a 3, down 1. ZZ was at the top of the key with 4 seconds left but the play itself was poorly designed so we got a low percentage shot.

It was not poorly designed. We spread the floor. Either the defense takes the guys out wide and ZZ has it one on one or the defense collapses on him, and he has options to pass. You don’t have time for a set half court play with 6 seconds. This is big boy basketball, there are options, and we got an open look. All you can ask for.

It was not poorly designed. We spread the floor. Either the defense takes the guys out wide and ZZ has it one on one or the defense collapses on him, and he has options to pass. You don’t have time for a set half court play with 6 seconds. This is big boy basketball, there are options, and we got an open look. All you can ask for.

We needed someone crashing the baseline there. It wouldn't have allowed Texas to defend ZZ the way they did if we had someone there, they either have to back off ZZ or give up a lob dunk or lay up. The play as it was designed left us with two options, a 22 footer or a 5'7 guy shooting over 4 defenders.

We needed someone crashing the baseline there. It wouldn't have allowed Texas to defend ZZ the way they did if we had someone there, they either have to back off ZZ or give up a lob dunk or lay up. The play as it was designed left us with two options, a 22 footer or a 5'7 guy shooting over 4 defenders.

Vescovi had the baseline. Not sure if ZZ could make the pass, but JJJ could.

I have no idea how people think that wasn’t a good set. There were options, and JJJ wasn’t the only one. It spread the floor, and it got a wide open shot.

Reactions: Thunder Good-Oil
The point guard should of just tried to drive and get fouled. They suck at 3's. Waste half their possessions throwing up bricks.

You don't really want Ziggy driving to the basket--too easy to block his shot, and three guys converged on him. The play worked out well in that respect--but it would have been nice to have an shooting option closer to the basket. We've all seen a ton of last possession plays like this getting totally botched, and you either get no shot off or a bad shot, so to get an uncontested shot as we did is pretty good--you just have to make it.

Vescovi had the baseline. Not sure if ZZ could make the pass, but JJJ could.

I have no idea how people think that wasn’t a good set. There were options, and JJJ wasn’t the only one. It spread the floor, and it got a wide open shot.

Vescovi should have been standing where JJJ was standing, JJJ should have crashed from the 3 point line towards the basket as ZZ crossed half court. It would have changed the entire play as Texas wouldn't have been able to defend the key the way they did without giving up a lob or lay up. Bailey shouldn't have been in the game either. Texas knew they could completely ignore him and they did.

Reactions: Kungfuman2000
Why didn’t ZZ cast a spell on the mean defense and fly over them and dunk it from the rafters?
when 2 points is needed for the win. Go to the hole and force a foul or get a shot That can be tapped or rebounded.

Coaching malpractice not to have Chandler on the court for the last play.
If I was there I would’ve made that three.

It’s not a set play for James. That’s just who was open and who ZZ passed the ball to. It was a really good play design. Multiple options and we got an open shot.
James was on fire in the 2nd half compared to everyone else on the team not named Ziegler

I'm not hating on the last shot. It was good design and you have such little time a shot at the basket is going to be difficult. I doubt the design was specific to get JJJ a shot, but to get Zeigler to drive with players spread out to find open space. JJJ happened to be open and it was his opportunity. Dude did hit two big threes during the run late.

People have a tendency to think you can just make a magical play call to get the shot you want at the end of the game, when, in reality, it's much easier to stop someone from scoring. Much easier. We got an open look after having to go 94 feet in 6 seconds. That's what you hope for. Watch other games in similar situations and see how often guys get good looks. It's not often.

I have no issues with the final 6 seconds.
You just can’t argue with a wide open shot to potentially win the game. Even very good shooters miss that shot 50-60% of the time. I can’t believe we were even in position to have a shot at the win after we scored just 3 pts in the first 12 minutes of the 2nd half.

JJJ was one of only 2 players we had in double digits tonight. He has hit multiple clutch threes for us this year. He was 3-6 from three before this shot. Stupid thread is stupid. It was a great look from someone who shot better than anyone else on our team tonight.

when 2 points is needed for the win. Go to the hole and force a foul or get a shot That can be tapped or rebounded.

Coaching malpractice not to have Chandler on the court for the last play.

Exactly. JJJ isn’t the guy to take that shot ever. Either ZZ drives and takes the shot or kick to Vesco - or wait put Powell in and let him shoot it.

JJJ was one of only 2 players we had in double digits tonight. He has hit multiple clutch threes for us this year. He was 3-6 from three before this shot. Stupid thread is stupid. It was a great look from someone who shot better than anyone else on our team tonight.

25.8% from 3. He isn’t the clutch guy. He isn’t and never has been the go to to guy / not everyone is and JJJ isn’t “the guy”. Bad play.

Only needed a 2 to win not a 3.

Are you aware of excuses. If he can’t shoot, the reason doesn’t matter. Shouldn’t be on the floor with a game winning shot needed. If he is, you’re ignorant or stubborn or both.

Nothing wrong with him being on the floor but I'm not sure a spot up 3 was the best spot for him. After thinking about it any player is going to take that shot. I don't think he had enough time to see Vescovi break open when his man left. I think James is confident he can make it but that was probably one of the looks Texas wanted without Chandler on the court.

VN Store

Back