Brilliant to have a 26% 3 point shooter fire it up with the game on the line…

Have y’all even played ball?
ZZ clearly drove the ball, Texas was there, so he has to make a split second decision to kick it out. JJJ wide open.

Didn’t hear anyone complaining when JJJ hit the 3 that sparked the run and another during it.

Bailey In over Chandler because Bailey brought heat and energy on D.

The 5 that ended the game were the 5 that made the run.

Reward good play.

Get out of here with your soft armchair BS

ZZ was looking at JJ from the top of the key. He didn't drive the ball, he got it up court. Texas was able to pack the ft line area because they had no one around the post to worry about. We had 3 guys standing outside the 3 point line and Olivier jogging up court from behind the play.

Reactions: brockytop
I just don't understand why you go for the three when drawing a foul or shooting for two would get the job done.
Maybe Vescovi should have cut to the basket whenever ZZ had the ball. The baseline was wide open because there were 4 defenders around ZZ. Could’ve had a wide open layup for the win.

Maybe Vescovi should have cut to the basket whenever ZZ had the ball. The baseline was wide open because there were 4 defenders around ZZ. Could’ve had a wide open layup for the win.

He or Bailey or both should have ran that way when ZZ crossed the half court unless the play was designed to have a 3 fired up. Which by looking at the replay you can't see that it was any other plan.

He or Bailey or both should have ran that way when ZZ crossed the half court unless the play was designed to have a 3 fired up. Which by looking at the replay you can't see that it was any other plan.
Because everyone wants to be Steph Curry and shoot in those situations instead of making smart basketball moves. Should’ve been two players sprinting to the 3 point line and one cutting baseline. Make the defense make a decision.

JJJ was 3-6 from 3. Nothing wrong with putting the ball in his hands in that situation. He’s 6’6”. Highly unlikely that they block the attempt.

26% with most of those shots taken when his left hand was injured.

6 seconds. But the play began 94’ away and Texas plays high pressure defense. It was a great look.

when 2 points is needed for the win. Go to the hole and force a foul or get a shot That can be tapped or rebounded.

Coaching malpractice not to have Chandler on the court for the last play.
Can't speak to Chandler not being on the floor, but the scout on the Vols is pretty well established. Don't let Vescovi get comfortable looks and you give JJJ the 3 ball anytime he wants it. What's sad is that 6 year Fulky gives us 2 points and 2 boards in 16 min while true freshman ZZTop gives us 12 pts and 3 boards in his 16 min. Hard for me to wrap my head around what's happened to the guy we thought would be an all SEC player and the team leader.

You do realize there were 3 Texas players clogging the lane? They weren’t letting ZZ get to the basket. It was a good play design with more than one option. The shot just didn’t fall.
I wondered if someone would point out the obvious fact. CLEARLY they had the lane clogged up by design and Zig had no chance if he goes to the hole. Actually I think vescovi was to be the outlet in the corner but didn’t have time I don’t think.

ZZ was looking at JJ from the top of the key. He didn't drive the ball, he got it up court. Texas was able to pack the ft line area because they had no one around the post to worry about. We had 3 guys standing outside the 3 point line and Olivier jogging up court from behind the play.

ZZ was looking because Texas bigs all collapsed.

And in a perfect world JJJ would’ve sent it to the corner to Santi.

But there’s 6 seconds left.

Stings, but great play call. Open look, missed the shot. JJJ had been feeling it.

Really like sticking with the 5 that got ya there

what a dog ugly offensive showing tho

Getting an open shot from 22 ft by JJJ would be exactly what Texas would hope for 😂. People who don’t get that simply don’t understand basketball 🏀

The problem is that the play wasn’t necessarily designed for him. The play was executed well. In bounds and back to ZZ with options. JJJ open and Vescovi was open. Good coaching gives your players options. It was an open look,

ZZ was looking because Texas bigs all collapsed.

And in a perfect world JJJ would’ve sent it to the corner to Santi.

But there’s 6 seconds left.

Stings, but great play call. Open look, missed the shot. JJJ had been feeling it.

Really like sticking with the 5 that got ya there

what a dog ugly offensive showing tho

I'll have to disagree. Down one and the only shot you give yourself is a low percentage 3 isn't a good play call.

JJJ was 3-6 from 3. Nothing wrong with putting the ball in his hands in that situation. He’s 6’6”. Highly unlikely that they block the attempt.

26% with most of those shots taken when his left hand was injured.

6 seconds. But the play began 94’ away and Texas plays high pressure defense. It was a great look.

Nonsense. The guy is a horrible shooter.

Does anyone not doubt that if it was us that was up by 17 and TX tied the game and had that last shot it would have won it for TX?
We need some good fortune for all of us longtime fans to happen once in awhile and steal one we had no business winning and give us a good feeling instead of all this frustration. Not since Admiral’s last winning shot or Grant’s last winning shot at Ole Miss, or even a Loftin fall away shot at the buzzer have we had this. We are in need of a clutch player like one of these and this team simply don’t have it.

Yes he is. Numbers tell it. Previous LSU game he missed 2 free throws and a wide open 3 that would have essentially buried LSU early to mid second half. You don’t want that guy taking the shot.

Are you aware that he began this season with an injured hand? Are you aware that he was a 78% free throw shooter coming into this year? I seriously doubt it.

Are you aware that he began this season with an injured hand? Are you aware that he was a 78% free throw shooter coming into this year? I seriously doubt it.

Are you aware of excuses. If he can’t shoot, the reason doesn’t matter. Shouldn’t be on the floor with a game winning shot needed. If he is, you’re ignorant or stubborn or both.

I'm not hating on the last shot. It was good design and you have such little time a shot at the basket is going to be difficult. I doubt the design was specific to get JJJ a shot, but to get Zeigler to drive with players spread out to find open space. JJJ happened to be open and it was his opportunity. Dude did hit two big threes during the run late.

People have a tendency to think you can just make a magical play call to get the shot you want at the end of the game, when, in reality, it's much easier to stop someone from scoring. Much easier. We got an open look after having to go 94 feet in 6 seconds. That's what you hope for. Watch other games in similar situations and see how often guys get good looks. It's not often.

I have no issues with the final 6 seconds.

VN Store

Back