Brian Maurer is going to be a special player

He looks like a middle of the road SEC qb. I don't see him being the second coming like many do..

I don't see him as a second coming necessarily, but I 100% see him as a guy we can win a lot of games with once he gets more experience under his belt. His only mistakes yesterday were prime examples of freshman mistakes.

Reactions: tn4elvis
Couple years down the road.Just be a little patient. We are building a monster on the other side of the ball. He will not have to do alot by then.
It will be more than a couple. We're years behind our rivals when it comes to having quality depth. Recruiting would have to pick up a lot

I don't see him as a second coming necessarily, but I 100% see him as a guy we can win a lot of games with once he gets more experience under his belt. His only mistakes yesterday were prime examples of freshman mistakes.
IMO, the mistake on his first interception shouldn't be made by a HS freshman.

Pruitt did not inherit a talented roster including quarterbacks. Maurer looks better than his rankings and is a gamer. Bailey also may be a real sec talent so Pruitt will have reloaded a key position and Hill could also be a factor. Pruitt and Chaney are getting all they can out of their offensive roster and with an improved offensive line, Vols may swing back into contention big time by 2021. Maurer obviously is making true freshman mistakes but the sec game experience will bring him along if he can avoid taking too many brutal hits. I bet Chaney, weinke and Tee cannot wait to work with their 2020 qbs. They can run a real playbook for the first time.

He looked horrible yesterday. I am not sure he is the answer and it seems people are anointing a qb that completes less than 58% of his passes and tosses ill advised interceptions. In two games, he has racked up 4 ints including 2 that cost us points on the board.

The jury's still out, horrible is a bit much. Pass to Wood Anderson was great pass to start the game and hit Palmer and Byrd in stride and is best running QB not named Dobbs since Tee Martin who was really more of pro style.He had 3 rushes for 41 yards that's best by QB since Dobbs and that's in one half. Players like this keeps D on their heels.
The interceptions were bad decisions. Now if he had came out and did 3, three and outs plus the interception that would have been horrible. We have different definitions I suppose.
Is he great, is he the answer, to early to tell, doubt he will scare Harrison off but he is not horrible.

BM is a puppy and plays like one, he will continue to grow and get better, and we’ll see what happens from there..

There’s one thing that’s undeniable, he’s got the support of the locker room, which is going to make it hard for anyone to take the job from him. No matter who it is

He will leave this university as a fan favorite and help lead us back to respectability and competing for championships.The kid is mobile and has a very quick release.I also think he has that it factor as a leader.The two ints he threw yesterday were him trying to do to much. He will learn to throw those away in time.One thing I was wanting to see yesterday was how he responded after the big hit against him last game. He showed me all I need to see.He was fearless and throwing his body around with no regard.The mark of a great qb is to make those around him play harder and better.I think this kid will do just that.
I said the same thing after the Orange and white game. I agree 100% with this. I was telling everyone that would listen if he got a chance he would take the job.

Folks need to take off their Tua-colored glasses and cut BM some slack. Not every TF is going to go out there and win a natty on his first possession. I think the potential is there for BM to do very good things, IF he's coached properly and brought along properly.

Folks need to take off their Tua-colored glasses and cut BM some slack. Not every TF is going to go out there and win a natty on his first possession. I think the potential is there for BM to do very good things, IF he's coached properly and brought along properly.
I think Chaney will really help in his development.

I like Maurer, he has spirit, and guts, but with that said, two starts, two injuries, one of which he was knocked out. He has the guts to take the hit(s), but he gets hurt, we used to call that "injury prone". I don't know if there is a new term, but some players just seem to get hurt, far more often then others playing the same position. I wish him the very best, and a speedy recovery; however, concussions can take a while to recover from, sometime a lifetime.

He looked horrible yesterday. I am not sure he is the answer and it seems people are anointing a qb that completes less than 58% of his passes and tosses ill advised interceptions. In two games, he has racked up 4 ints including 2 that cost us points on the board.

He's a true freshman. He needs some time to develop this year. Jesus, it was his second start in college. Dobbs didn't have great stats when he came in midway through his true freshman year, but he ended up developing into one of the best we've seen this century.

Reactions: sechamp2012
Stats!

Yay!

'Zat you, ktownwhatever?

He looks like a middle of the road SEC qb. I don't see him being the second coming like many do..

Well, he's head and shoulders better than Guarantano. He gives us the best chance to win.

B. - Brady

M - Manning
A - Aikman
U - Unitas
R - Roethlisberger
E - Elway
R - Rodgers

Obviously the next great thing.

He has to play in a way that he produces without getting injured. Two games as a starter. Two injuries that took him out of the game. The rest is coachable.

Reactions: livefaith
Brian Maurer has moxy. I'll give him that. He's the perfect kind of player to get a redshirt and be in the weight room all year, then come in to compete for the job in year 2. Nevertheless, he appears to give us a lift so far. Definitely, got punked on the 1st int by good coaching bait. The 2nd looked like he slipped back into HS mode and just floated an easy TD up to the back of the end zone. The won't usually work at this level.

But dang, I like his decisiveness, mobility, and fearlessness. Decent arm, accuracy, and has made some decent reads to move the chains. Could be a really good one.

He's making freshman mistakes. He's also showing the ability to make big plays. They have to coach him up and pull him back a little.

He may or may not be the answer. He's probably being thrown out there a little early... precisely because the staff has realized that JG is not the answer. His problem is the opposite of BM's. If you have an OL who is too aggressive... you can coach that. If you have an OL that's too passive... there's nothing to coach. The same with JG vs BM.

Those mistakes like the attempt to Palmer can potentially be turned into huge plays with experience and coaching. They can be turned into plays like the TD pass to Jennings vs UGA which was perfectly timed into a tiny window and placed where only JJ could make a play.

JG wouldn't even attempt a pass that risky. He would hesitate then check down or take a sack. In fact, he doesn't attempt passes that are far less risky.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Not just to pick your nits.... but JG is a 4th year QB and his completion percentage this year is 62% vs FBS opponents... including the ultra save play calls they gave him vs MSU.

Maurer has actually thrown 3 INT's in his two starts. He has to stop turning the ball over or maybe it will be time to give Shrout his shot.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

VN Store

Back