Brian Maurer is going to be a special player

----
I graduated from both schools and I've one son in Hess Hall and two more children on the way. I truly want UT to do well, especially during my kid's college years. It's a lot more fun when your team is doing well.
I’m just messin with ya. But you gotta admit I have a point. Most here really don’t care if you ARE gator tbh. As long as you’re respectful. We have a few frequent flyers from gator nation and normally have good exchanges with them.

Comparison to Favre?!? He is playing much better than JG, but he is no Brett Favre. We need to give the guy time to improve before likening him to HoF QBs. In comparison to what we have seen recently from TN QBs, he is a welcomed site, but let’s not overplay his abilities just yet.

The only comparison I made was to the tendency of quarterbacks who have been described as "gunslingers," Favre being a prime example, to force balls into impossibly tight windows. No comparison between Maurer, in terms of ability per se or accomplishments, and Favre was meant, intended or made.

Y’all need to figure out what an actual good true freshman QB looks like my Lord.

Maurer has decent talent but you people are crazy. There’s a 75% chance he’s not even the starter next year.

If JG doesn’t take over the second half UT probably doesn’t even win.

Reactions: k-town_king
Y’all need to figure out what an actual good true freshman QB looks like my Lord.

Maurer has decent talent but you people are crazy. There’s a 75% chance he’s not even the starter next year.

Where did you find these numbers that he only has a 25% chance next year? And I think most on here are showing they DO know what a good freshman looks like. They are not concentrating on the stats. They are looking at his potential, drive, leadership, accuracy, ability to move the ball and his ceiling.

Reactions: Alto1 and cgrish
That's premature considering Maurer had a pretty nice game vs UGA with one of the better D's in the country.

How did you come to that 75%?

Actually there's a much better chance that UT scores a couple more times going away. Maurer made some bad decisions in the red zone... but he moved the O down there to get the opportunities. A big difference in the two is that the receivers believe Maurer will give them a chance to make a play. They know with JG if they aren't wide open... he's not throwing them the ball.

JG did what JG is capable of doing... playing ultra-conservative. Pruitt recognized in his press conference that that kind of play calling wouldn't win too many games.

JG is too easy to defend... because he's too risk averse.

That's premature considering Maurer had a pretty nice game vs UGA with one of the better D's in the country.

Actually there's a much better chance that UT scores a couple more times going away. Maurer made some bad decisions in the red zone... but he moved the O down there to get the opportunities. A big difference in the two is that the receivers believe Maurer will give them a chance to make a play. They know with JG if they aren't wide open... he's not throwing them the ball.

JG did what JG is capable of doing... playing ultra-conservative. Pruitt recognized in his press conference that that kind of play calling wouldn't win too many games.

He played fine. He had a horrible pick. He had -29 rush yards. He completed 50% of his passes. He had a good first half and then Georgia figured him out and he was terrible in the second half.

It’s a number because Bailey probably takes his spot or Pruitt brings in a grad transfer because he can’t afford a losing season in year 3. And the fact Maurer hasn’t shown greatness. He’s been okay. And that’s generous considering the numbers.

And you can continue to state your hypotheticals. Have you talked with the wide receivers about their belief in JG or Maurer? I don’t believe you have. I think the wide receivers would rather not have balls thrown into double coverage in the end zone but I haven’t talked to them either.

Also the coaching staff gave JG a RPO on that TD pass to Byrd. A great decision by JG and a pretty interesting call by a coaching staff that apparently has no faith in him.

Even taking JG out of the equation, anyone trying to crown Maurer after the two games is being crazy. He’s been okay at best. He’s a decent athlete, he’s got a good arm. He makes terrible decisions. He’s inaccurate if his first read isn’t there. He’s also a freshman. Doesn’t mean he shouldn’t start. But anyone trying to determine that he’s special or will even be good after the first two games is trying to see something that isn’t there yet.

You can't be serious. Maurer is our only hope to hopefully make it to a bowl game. You have it right backwards, with jg no more wins, with Maurer a good chance to win 4 more. And what are you basing your prediction of jg taking over and us winning?? Who we gona beat with jg? based on his past performance?

You can't be serious. Maurer is our only hope to hopefully make it to a bowl game. You have it right backwards, with jg no more wins, with Maurer a good chance to win 4 more. And what are you basing your prediction of jg taking over and us winning?? Who we gona beat with jg? based on his past performance?

Well we beat Mississippi State with JG and I believe we beat a better Kentucky game with JG last year too, no?

I’m not arguing Maurer should or shouldn’t be the starter. My point is anyone basing Maurer being special or good so far is being blissfully ignorant.

And pads his stats with short passes. Like the td pass to Byrd, a 7 yd pass and great blocking and running by Byrd a td. Jg pads his stats with short passes, but not much scoring. Look at the past several games this year as well as last 2 years. Stats does not mean anything if you don't score. We will score with Maurer and yes as with any good qb there will be some int. They will be reduced with game expierence but all really good qb will throw some int. It you are not throwing many int. you are not taking any chances in a small window. You can't wait till receiver is wide open to throw to them.

Well we beat Mississippi State with JG and I believe we beat a better Kentucky game with JG last year too, no?

I’m not arguing Maurer should or shouldn’t be the starter. My point is anyone basing Maurer being special or good so far is being blissfully ignorant.

We beat Miss. st. because jg came in the game with the lead and did a good job managing the team. Pruitt even said you won't win many games with this type of offensive play calls. But thats what they have to do with jg, very conservative game plan. Thats why we have been losing so much with jg. If jg had been the starter playing Miss St. we would have lost the game by too many 3 and outs and sacks. Remember the definition of insanity. Maurer should be the starter from here on out the rest of the season barring injury. The whole team plays better when Maurer is qb..

He played fine. He had a horrible pick. He had -29 rush yards. He completed 50% of his passes. He had a good first half and then Georgia figured him out and he was terrible in the second half.

It’s a number because Bailey probably takes his spot or Pruitt brings in a grad transfer because he can’t afford a losing season in year 3. And the fact Maurer hasn’t shown greatness. He’s been okay. And that’s generous considering the numbers.

And you can continue to state your hypotheticals. Have you talked with the wide receivers about their belief in JG or Maurer? I don’t believe you have. I think the wide receivers would rather not have balls thrown into double coverage in the end zone but I haven’t talked to them either.

Also the coaching staff gave JG a RPO on that TD pass to Byrd. A great decision by JG and a pretty interesting call by a coaching staff that apparently has no faith in him.

Even taking JG out of the equation, anyone trying to crown Maurer after the two games is being crazy. He’s been okay at best. He’s a decent athlete, he’s got a good arm. He makes terrible decisions. He’s inaccurate if his first read isn’t there. He’s also a freshman. Doesn’t mean he shouldn’t start. But anyone trying to determine that he’s special or will even be good after the first two games is trying to see something that isn’t there yet.

But most anyone can see that Maurer is a much better option to win than jg. Not saying Maurer is great now, but I see a lot of potential with him, much more than jg, and Maurer has only had like two weeks of prep time, jg has had about 3 years and Maurer is already ahead of him. What will he be with just a few more games behind him? It has already been shown we can't win with jg so time for the change and our coaches have finally seen this. Even Pruitt said you won't win many games with the offensive calls they had to go to with jg in the game. It is much too conservative when jg is in the game and much easier to defend.

Reactions: FLVOL_79 and Alto1
And pads his stats with short passes. Like the td pass to Byrd, a 7 yd pass and great blocking and running by Byrd a td. Jg pads his stats with short passes, but not much scoring.
Agree on your general point but that was actually a really good play by everyone including JG. The play was well designed. It was an RPO with a WR bubble screen as the pass option. He read a "run" look in the defensive backfield and got the ball out to Byrd. I have a lot more criticism for the check downs he habitually takes rather than pushing the ball downfield.

Look at the past several games this year as well as last 2 years. Stats does not mean anything if you don't score. We will score with Maurer and yes as with any good qb there will be some int. They will be reduced with game expierence but all really good qb will throw some int. It you are not throwing many int. you are not taking any chances in a small window. You can't wait till receiver is wide open to throw to them.
I agree on the JG part and am excited about the prospects with Maurer... but BM still has to show it. I like that he takes risks. I like that he pushes the ball down field. He needs to pull back a little. He needs to protect the ball. He can't lock in on one guy like he did on the attempted fade... leaving Callaway wide open short. He also needs to learn to take the dump down. Unlike JG, he sets it up by being aggressive down field.

I am pretty sure JG isn't the answer. I'm still not ready to say that Maurer is.

Reactions: cgrish
He's a freshman and UGA figured a lot of things out in the 2nd half.

Dude. He's played about 3 quarters vs one of the best D's in college football and a little less than a half against MSU. How about we see a little more before writing him off?

And you can continue to state your hypotheticals. Have you talked with the wide receivers about their belief in JG or Maurer? I don’t believe you have.
No. I've watched them play and react to getting opportunities to make plays. If you don't think Maurer is giving them chance that JG didn't... you aren't looking.

I think the wide receivers would rather not have balls thrown into double coverage in the end zone but I haven’t talked to them either.
Yeah. They'd much rather have to be open by 10 yards before they even get a chance for a play.

No faith? They have faith that he'll do what he's shown them he'll do. He'll try and make the "safe" throw. If he has to throw to a spot or if there's a defender within 5 yards of a target on anything other than a deep sideline throw... he's checking down.

I agree. I think the jury is still out on Maurer. It isn't on JG. He is what he is and an intensive effort by Chaney, Weinke, and Tee didn't seem to change that enough to make him an effective SEC QB. I wish it had worked. I wish he had gotten over whatever inhibits him from making the plays that he has more than enough arm and accuracy to make. I wish they'd been able to get him to instinctively read and react. It just didn't happen.

Reactions: Volfansince1980
He looked horrible yesterday. I am not sure he is the answer and it seems people are anointing a qb that completes less than 58% of his passes and tosses ill advised interceptions. In two games, he has racked up 4 ints including 2 that cost us points on the board.
Yeah, he’s a true freshman and he’s 18 years old playing on a young inexperienced team. Kill it with the ‘he ain’t got it’ nonsense

He will leave this university as a fan favorite and help lead us back to respectability and competing for championships.The kid is mobile and has a very quick release.I also think he has that it factor as a leader.The two ints he threw yesterday were him trying to do to much. He will learn to throw those away in time.One thing I was wanting to see yesterday was how he responded after the big hit against him last game. He showed me all I need to see.He was fearless and throwing his body around with no regard.The mark of a great qb is to make those around him play harder and better.I think this kid will do just that.
Let's not jump the gun here. Maybe with better decision making. 2 - really bad red zone INT's vs. MSU shows me he has a long ways to go before being anointed the next great QB.

Let's not jump the gun here. Maybe with better decision making. 2 - really bad red zone INT's vs. MSU shows me he has a long ways to go before being anointed the next great QB.
Forcing a throw is fixable. He has all the tools to be great here.

I don't know if he's going to be special or not. He does help us challenge a defense vertically, which gives us our best shot at beating some of these teams down the stretch. Needs to learn to slide, not throw into double coverage, across his body, late over the middle. He has a lot of growing to do, mentally and physically. Needs 15 lbs on that frame as well.

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol

lol

----
I graduated from both schools and I've one son in Hess Hall and two more children on the way. I truly want UT to do well, especially during my kid's college years. It's a lot more fun when your team is doing well.

When on Vol boards I would use a Vol avatar, especially if my kid went there
When on Gator boards I would use a Gator avatar, especially if my kid went there
or if I wanted to brag about graduating from both schools,
I would use your choice
It's not ban worthy, welcome

I see Maurer as a serviceable QB but I have yet to see anything remotely close to his being special on The Hill. Dewey Warren, special. Condredge Holloway, special. Heath Shuler, special. Tony Robinson, special. Peyton Manning, special. Tee Martin, special. Casey Clausen, special.

Brian Maurer, c'mon man!

I feel sorry for people who get attention by being deliberately contrarian and using that as an excuse to attack people. But, since the beginning, Internet discussion boards are their playground.

Anyone who watches this team can see that Maurer has a lot of potential. The only two questions here are how high can he go, and will he do what it takes to get there?

From what I've seen so far there's a good reason to believe that he will do very well here and be a fan favorite. He wins people over with the one thing that we want to see from that position most: Determination. The rest is to be developed.

Let's hope OP is right.

Reactions: tn4elvis

VN Store

Back