Brian Maurer is going to be a special player

He’s gotta get strong and durable enough to be able to plsy and stay on the field. 2 starts, 2 injuries, twice had to come out of the game.

I like a lot of what I see from him....strong accurate arm, athletic, great competitive spirit. But he’s gotta he available to play. He also has to stop turning the ball over at an alarming rate.

But yes, I think he can be very, very good at QB for us assuming he can stay available and continue to improve.
He needs to gain 20 - 25 lbs of good weight. Just for the durability factor. The ints in the redzone will stop with a little more experience. Hes probably always going to throw some because he has that gunslinger mentality.I am ok with that because he is also creating some big plays. He has very good timing for a qb with very little time with the ones.That will only get better with more practice and game time with the ones.

He looked horrible yesterday. I am not sure he is the answer and it seems people are anointing a qb that completes less than 58% of his passes and tosses ill advised interceptions. In two games, he has racked up 4 ints including 2 that cost us points on the board.
Peyton Manning led the NFL in interceptions his rookie year.

He needs to gain 20 - 25 lbs of good weight. Just for the durability factor. The ints in the redzone will stop with a little more experience. Hes probably always going to throw some because he has that gunslinger mentality.

Needs to pay attention to JG a little more, funny enough.

Brian Maurer has to begin to learn what a "plan" is. He's very talented and instinctual, but these turnovers are coming from him forcing stuff that isn't there. He has no plan for "play". And really that just comes with experience.

It's undeniable his effect on this whole team. Including Jarrett Gaurantano! Jarrett is becoming a better teammate AND QB with Brian. It's a little similar to happen with Tua and Hurts.

They beat an above 500 SEC WEST team by 10 points yesterday. Miss State probably beats GA State by 3 TDs!

I hope some people are finally starting to understand how critical inspired QB play is to a team as a whole!

He reminds me of Bray
Much better wheels and I think that he has a quicker release but maybe not quite as strong of arm as Bray.Brays deal was never ability. It was the intangibles he just didn't have. You cant be a me first kinda guy and inspire your teammates to play hard for you.😁

He’s gotta get strong and durable enough to be able to plsy and stay on the field. 2 starts, 2 injuries, twice had to come out of the game.

I like a lot of what I see from him....strong accurate arm, athletic, great competitive spirit. But he’s gotta he available to play. He also has to stop turning the ball over at an alarming rate.

But yes, I think he can be very, very good at QB for us assuming he can stay available and continue to improve.

He took 2 big time hits.

Reactions: tn4elvis
He will leave this university as a fan favorite and help lead us back to respectability and competing for championships.The kid is mobile and has a very quick release.I also think he has that it factor as a leader.The two ints he threw yesterday were him trying to do to much. He will learn to throw those away in time.One thing I was wanting to see yesterday was how he responded after the big hit against him last game. He showed me all I need to see.He was fearless and throwing his body around with no regard.The mark of a great qb is to make those around him play harder and better.I think this kid will do just that.
Agreed. He’s a winner

Much better wheels and I think that he has a quicker release but maybe not quite as strong of arm as Bray.Brays deal was never ability. It was the intangibles he just didn't have. You cant be a me first kinda guy and inspire your teammates to play hard for you.😁

We also didn’t have a defense in the Bray years.

He looked horrible yesterday. I am not sure he is the answer and it seems people are anointing a qb that completes less than 58% of his passes and tosses ill advised interceptions. In two games, he has racked up 4 ints including 2 that cost us points on the board.
If he wouldn’t have got us a lead that the defense couldn’t of sustained we would’ve lost. In other words we wouldn’t have won without him. He’s a great leader, you can tell he has the “it” factor. If it’s not there he takes off and makes a play. Also, a huge difference with him and JG is he hits the receiver on the break and tries to make the play. JG waits too late after the break and only throws it if he feels they are wide open or he gets sacked.He has gotten us into the red zone almost every time he’s been under Center. He will learn the small things, Go Vols!

If he wouldn’t have got us a lead that the defense couldn’t of sustained we would’ve lost. In other words we wouldn’t have won without him. He’s a great leader, you can tell he has the “it” factor. If it’s not there he takes off and makes a play. Also, a huge difference with him and JG is he hits the receiver on the break and tries to make the play. JG waits too late after the break and only throws it if he feels they are wide open or he gets sacked.He has gotten us into the red zone almost every time he’s been under Center. He will learn the small things, Go Vols!
Good post.

He will leave this university as a fan favorite and help lead us back to respectability and competing for championships.The kid is mobile and has a very quick release.I also think he has that it factor as a leader.The two ints he threw yesterday were him trying to do to much. He will learn to throw those away in time.One thing I was wanting to see yesterday was how he responded after the big hit against him last game. He showed me all I need to see.He was fearless and throwing his body around with no regard.The mark of a great qb is to make those around him play harder and better.I think this kid will do just that.

Please don't do this to him. Please.

He may turn out to be great or he may turn out to be a 3 year back up or even transfer. But what he doesn't need is a part of the fanbase who think he is the next coming of PM while another portion slowly turn on him to a point that they prefer he fail so they can be "right".

I hope every kid that practices a down for Tn becomes a superstar and cheer for them that way when they're on the field. The classless assholes that booed JG Saturday need their collective asses kicked. He isn't the greatest qb to play for Tn but he has still busted his ass for that team more than any of the punks booing.

That said Mauer does seem to add a spark to the offense that gets things going in the right direction. However currently he is still a freshman and it shows each time he is under pressure. Obviously quality coaching and time on the field can cure these things. It appears he is going to get the latter for certain, I'm not convinced at this time he will be getting the former.

And if he'd have been asked to throw in the red zone a third time he would have had a third pick. 1/3 passes he threw Saturday were picks and they were in the damn end zone. He may turn out fine, but right now he has not shown us a ton for all the slobbering our fans our doing.

As a true freshman, starting in only his second game behind a young offensive line, it is hardly surprising that Maurer should look like “a middle-of-the-road SEC qb.” His performance, however, in the first half against Georgia speaks volumes. He is decisive, clearly possesses courage and confidence in his own abilities, and inspires his teammates.

A lot of “gunslingers,” including Brett Favre, threw far too many interceptions, simply because they relied too much on their throwing arms, rather than their ability to read coverages. Personally, I have faith in Chaney and Weinke to cure Maurer of the worst of this tendency. That is, of course, if Maurer wants to remain Tennessee’s starting quarterback.

Chaney maybe but Weinke has proven nothing as a qb coach. We will see. Hope they can get him over the hump.

Please don't do this to him. Please.

He may turn out to be great or he may turn out to be a 3 year back up or even transfer. But what he doesn't need is a part of the fanbase who think he is the next coming of PM while another portion slowly turn on him to a point that they prefer he fail so they can be "right".

I hope every kid that practices a down for Tn becomes a superstar and cheer for them that way when they're on the field. The classless assholes that booed JG Saturday need their collective asses kicked. He isn't the greatest qb to play for Tn but he has still busted his ass for that team more than any of the punks booing.

That said Mauer does seem to add a spark to the offense that gets things going in the right direction. However currently he is still a freshman and it shows each time he is under pressure. Obviously quality coaching and time on the field can cure these things. It appears he is going to get the latter for certain, I'm not convinced at this time he will be getting the former.
I ve around the game for a little bit.So my post is not anointing him as our savior.I just think he has some natural leadership qualities and also happens to have some ability. When you have those two good things.Good stuff normally follows.Sure its going to be painful watching him make some bonehead mistakes at times.I just like his upside alot.

Reactions: VollerNbham
And if he'd have been asked to throw in the red zone a third time he would have had a third pick. 1/3 passes he threw Saturday were picks and they were in the damn end zone. He may turn out fine, but right now he has not shown us a ton for all the slobbering our fans our doing.
He’s a freshman trying to make too big of a play. Cheney will tamper that and you will see improvement every game.

VN Store

Back