Brian Kelly to LSU

Brian Kelly to LSU looks like a bad hire to me. I would think he had it made at ND. He had a soft schedule, big budget, and didn't have to play in a conference championship. This doesn't make sense.

I heard from an LSU big wig that Rohan Davies mom was going to conjure Lennay Kekua back from the grave and that she would serve as the crootin cordnator . Stay tuned

FWIW LSU did recover nicely in bringing in a big name with CBK, results TBD.

Reactions: perico
I bet he is now $$$$$$$$$

No, he's still a grumpy old man.

LSU just named their new defensive coordinator.

First_Episode_Aunt_Bee_10101.JPG

Last edited:
The talent he gets at Notre Dame is simply not enough to compete against the likes of Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, and other traditional playoff contenders. He has gotten his butt handed to him in virtually every playoff / BCS game he has coached in. If he can recruit at LSU like they traditionally do, his system will work.
I think he’ll be fine. I’m just wondering if his personality will mesh with the Cajuns down there. He’s entering a different world entirely now.

I don’t understand all the hype around ND in this thread... why would anyone want to go there?

History. I mean, a good portion of why schools are big in particular sports is historic leverage. Why do players go to play basketball at Kentucky? Those aren't Kentucky players.

Kelly is a solid coach, has won at every level. I see zero appeal to playing for him personally. I actually have known about Kelly for 25+ years as I have a relative that worked with him at GVS.

He isn't a bad coach, far from it, but its a bad hire for LSU in this situation and time. (just my take)

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Notre Dame has never suffered in recruiting and has a massive football budget. They are a perennial top 10 team in recruiting, very little difference between them and LSU recruiting wise over the last 5-10 years or so. Notre Dame was in the playoff because they have the benefit of playing a handpicked schedule with a built in advantage in the playoff format with no conference alignment. He won't have those advantages at LSU.

Wait, are you telling me LSU doesn't play Toledo, Georgia Tech, Navy and Stanford every year?

I'm sure LSU Nation is wondering why the university sent Coach O packing only to be told BK is coming to town. Especially since the guy they were targeting for their big splash hire they promised spurned them for USC. Talk about a boner killer.

Wait, are you telling me LSU doesn't play Toledo, Georgia Tech, Navy and Stanford every year?

The world of ND and LSU in the SEC W are two completely different worlds, as Jimbo is now getting a taste of.

Put Texas A&M (Jimbo) in the ACC, he's playing for conference championships and in the CFP. In the SECW, he's getting beat by walk-ons on a bad LSU team and finishing tied with 3 other teams for 3rd. :D

The talent he gets at Notre Dame is simply not enough to compete against the likes of Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, and other traditional playoff contenders. He has gotten his butt handed to him in virtually every playoff / BCS game he has coached in. If he can recruit at LSU like they traditionally do, his system will work.

You answered your own question. He got his butt handed to him in those games. Notre Dame has the fourth most active players in the NFL per college. The fact that his teams have gotten blown out by other elite teams is an indictment of his coaching. That doesn't mean he can't or won't win at LSU but it does mean he has been outcoached when it has mattered thus far in his career.

Riley is scared and Kelly is up for the challenge.

Kelly fit well at ND, don't see him fitting well at LSU, but he can coach so we'll see what happens.

multiple reports
Hey guys. I am a long-time LSU fan and Baton Rouge native relocating to Knoxville in early 2022. I registered at Volnation a few days ago and thought this would be a good time for a first post! Really happy about the LSU hire. It's still hard to believe for many of us that LSU can pull this sort of thing off. Glad it has been confirmed this morning. Anyway, I'll be following the Vols as my second favorite team. Can't wait to be in Knoxville enjoying all the city and state have to offer!!

I think he’ll be fine. I’m just wondering if his personality will mesh with the Cajuns down there. He’s entering a different world entirely now.

Les fit in just fine, I mean cultural his wackiness helped him fit in. Saban is just a shark, it doesn't really matter much. Kelly makes Saban seem like a fun party guy though.

Kelly is the one that is going to explode when the pressure comes, none of those guys were going to explode.

It's still hard to believe for many of us that LSU can pull this sort of thing off.

That's because in Louisiana they don't teach you that dinosaurs went extinct.

BTW, Lou Holtz is available as well. This will probably not end well for that particular Northern boy, hint, I'm actually a Michigan import.

multiple reports
Lot of people saying this was a bad hire. LSU will not be hard to recruit to, especially with him at the helm. Orgeron’s recruits will be there to get him started. I am glad he went to the West.

Honestly.....I think he will find it tougher going at LSU than he did at ND......And I'm really not impressed at his ND results. Looks like when we play LSU in the future that our odds of winning will increase!!!

VN Store

Back