Brian Kelly Makes Cringe Video With Recruit

So there’s no way they too look the other way when they want a player bad enough?

They admitted a man who saw fake girlfriends was borderline insane just because he could play ball.
Actually, falling in love with a fake girlfriend is exactly something I'd expect a nerdy kid to do.

BTW, and there's no way to prove this, but I've never been convinced he was actually duped. I think he was in on it in some way, enjoyed the attention it brought him, and just thought there would be no follow up from the media (which there actually wasn't until Deadspin got a tip). He was the most popular person on a college campus...he didn't need an online girlfriend.

Everybody learns from somebody. This video is the DNA swab confirming the coaching paternity of BJ.

whew. man.

ND is hard to win at and hard to recruit to and he did both. He's a good coach. His cultural fit there is terrible, but that does not preclude a coach from doing well at a place, and having a perfect cultural fit does not guarantee success.
Historically their schedule has been difficult but of late not so much. In addition to the increasing ACC flavor, USC has not been good. Navy was bad. Stanford was bad. Wisconsin and Purdue are two 8 win B-10 teams. Toledo was a middling MAC team.

ND lost to the only team they played that finished the season ranked- Cincinnati.

If you look back over his tenure, his record wasn't all that great until he started playing a lot of ACC teams.

They don't have a bad recruiting situation. They have tie ins to the major Catholic HS programs around the country if they use them well.

Reactions: tbwhhs
Easy? They have tough academic restrictions and it's located in a frigid dump. It isn't 1970...that place isn't easy to recruit to anymore.

I think you are overplaying the academic restrictions a bit there mate.

As far as I know, ND basically has the requirements for admission for athletes somewhat mirror that of the student population. Basically, all that means is that it would probably be difficult for someone to get in squeaking through high school on remedial courses.

ND is a good school, but it's not a crown jewel of academia by any stretch. There are quite a few state schools even here in the South that are far more respected by hiring managers

Stanford had a rough season, but they have much much more tightened restrictions than ND and have been ranked in the top 10 for pretty much the last decade.

In the end, is it harder to get an all world 5* in at ND than LSU? Probably.

Does the ND brand and having the offspring of 30 million + Catholics in this country knowing exactly who you are and what you offer offset that difficulty somewhat? Yes, I believe it does.

This coming someone who hates ND.

Reactions: tbwhhs
I think you are overplaying the academic restrictions a bit there mate.

As far as I know, ND basically has the requirements for admission for athletes somewhat mirror that of the student population. Basically, all that means is that it would probably be difficult for someone to get in squeaking through high school on remedial courses.

ND is a good school, but it's not a crown jewel of academia by any stretch. There are quite a few state schools even here in the South that are far more respected by hiring managers

Stanford had a rough season, but they have much much more tightened restrictions than ND and have been ranked in the top 10 for pretty much the last decade.

In the end, is it harder to get an all world 5* in at ND than LSU? Probably.

Does the ND brand and having the offspring of 30 million + Catholics in this country knowing exactly who you are and what you offer offset that difficulty somewhat? Yes, I believe it does.

This coming someone who hates ND.
Other than Vandy, what SEC school would be more academically respected than ND? ND is a very selective place; almost as selective as a place like Vandy or Duke.
Historically their schedule has been difficult but of late not so much. In addition to the increasing ACC flavor, USC has not been good. Navy was bad. Stanford was bad. Wisconsin and Purdue are two 8 win B-10 teams. Toledo was a middling MAC team.

ND lost to the only team they played that finished the season ranked- Cincinnati.

If you look back over his tenure, his record wasn't all that great until he started playing a lot of ACC teams.

They don't have a bad recruiting situation. They have tie ins to the major Catholic HS programs around the country if they use them well.
Their SoS has been hurt in recent seasons by the decline of USC and Stanford, yes. I don't really see that as their fault...USC is traditionally a strong program and Stanford until a couple years ago has been consistently good. They also played Clemson 2x last year, played UGA in 2018 and 2019, play Michigan and Michigan St almost every year, etc.

They get hated on because they are not in a conference, but it is not a chump schedule that they play typically.

Reactions: sunnyvol79
Other than Vandy, what SEC school would be more academically respected than ND? ND is a very selective place; almost as selective as a place like Vandy or Duke.

Their SoS has been hurt in recent seasons by the decline of USC and Stanford, yes. I don't really see that as their fault...USC is traditionally a strong program and Stanford until a couple years ago has been consistently good. They also played Clemson 2x last year, played UGA in 2018 and 2019, play Michigan and Michigan St almost every year, etc.

They get hated on because they are not in a conference, but it is not a chump schedule that they play typically.

I think you are confusing being "respected" as being viewed as an "in" school whose graduates are sought after by hiring managers.

If we want to isolate science and engineering, as much as I hate to say it Florida is very much an "in" school at the moment.

Stepping outside the SEC, we have GT which is way up there by every metric imaginable.

If we are talking just overall academics I would put Virginia and UNC Chapel Hill up there with anybody.

Once again, we are talking purely state school here.

Don't get me wrong, ND is a good school. Certainly on par with a very good public university. Is it the end all be all ? Far from it. Don't buy into their hype.

I think you are confusing being "respected" as being viewed as an "in" school whose graduates are sought after by hiring managers.

If we want to isolate science and engineering, as much as I hate to say it Florida is very much an "in" school at the moment.

Stepping outside the SEC, we have GT which is way up there by every metric imaginable.

If we are talking just overall academics I would put Virginia and UNC Chapel Hill up there with anybody.

Once again, we are talking purely state school here.

Don't get me wrong, ND is a good school. Certainly on par with a very good public university. Is it the end all be all ? Far from it. Don't buy into their hype.
Of course there are going to be regional biases. An engineering firm in Atlanta would prefer an engineering grad from GT than ND. I bet you hiring managers in Chicago would prefer ND grads over Georgia Tech, UNC, UVA, or maybe even Vandy. There are also a ton of ND kids who go to NYC and work on Wall Street and other places; although they are viewed as riff raff relative to the Ivy League schools the big banks like to hire from. That's a pretty insular world up there, and they seem to like to hire people from northeastern schools + ND and Michigan.

In a vacuum (removing regional biases), ND is right there with UVA or UNC and would be preferred over every SEC school except Vandy.

Last edited:
Of course there are going to be regional biases. An engineering firm in Atlanta would prefer an engineering grad from GT than ND. I bet you hiring managers in Chicago would prefer ND grads over Georgia Tech, UNC, UVA, or maybe even Vandy. There are also a ton of ND kids who go to NYC and work on Wall Street and other places; although they are viewed as riff raff relative to the Ivy League schools the big banks like to hire from. That's a pretty insular world up there, and they seem to like to hire people from northeastern schools + ND and Michigan.

In a vacuum (removing regional biases), ND is right there with UVA or UNC and would be preferred over every SEC school except Vandy.

I used to have to interview kids coming out of college.

When I was doing that, I lived in Chicago, the Bay Area, across the river from NYC in Jersey, and probably a few other places I am forgetting about.

Why am I telling you this?

I found that the schools which were "in" were pretty much the same schools wherever I was. Actually due to client requests, our system immediately flagged resumes from certain schools as worthy of actual human review. At no point, was there ever a request from clients that indicated ND grads go to front of the line.

Sure there was regional bias. When I lived in Chicago, I saw way more ND and Purdue grads than I did GT, UF, etc grads. I also know that when someone submitted a resume with GT or UF on it, that resume got a hell of a lot more attention than one from ND or Purdue.

Once again, this is all tech stuff mind you. I can speak far less intelligently about the banking sector, etc.

My entire point is that once again, ND is not the world class institution many people are convinced it to be. It's a fine school on par with a very good public university. Worthy of all the mythical and magical stuff their PR department pumps out-not hardly. To put it quite bluntly, ND is just not THAT hard to get into.

Going back to the original point of recruiting, most of the "issues" people reference are due to ND not really taking many if any transfers. This makes the portal a non factor really for ND and does put them at a disadvantage.

I suppose that ai should also state that my experience was between like 2005 until 2015 or so. Schools and their reputations change, sometimes seemingly overnight. Perhaps in the last five years or so, ND has made great strides.

I’ve never seen a coaches public persona fall faster than Kelly’s man. From the way he left notre dame (a last minute 7am meeting that lasted for 4 minutes) to him being introduced at a basketball game and trying to talk like a southerner. To this weird video where he’s basically grinding on the back of a high school kid? My god. Not sure who’s having a worst month…him or urban Meyer.

Ehhh ... I'm going to say it's not been that bad of a month for Brian Kelly. I'd happily take a month of looking stupid in the media in exchange for $95 million.

People could laugh at me for the next 20 years and I wouldn't care because I'd always know I could just go home to my mansion and dive into my giant pile of money like I'm Scrooge McDuck.

scroogeMcduck001.jpg

I used to have to interview kids coming out of college.

When I was doing that, I lived in Chicago, the Bay Area, across the river from NYC in Jersey, and probably a few other places I am forgetting about.

Why am I telling you this?

I found that the schools which were "in" were pretty much the same schools wherever I was. Actually due to client requests, our system immediately flagged resumes from certain schools as worthy of actual human review. At no point, was there ever a request from clients that indicated ND grads go to front of the line.

Sure there was regional bias. When I lived in Chicago, I saw way more ND and Purdue grads than I did GT, UF, etc grads. I also know that when someone submitted a resume with GT or UF on it, that resume got a hell of a lot more attention than one from ND or Purdue.

Once again, this is all tech stuff mind you. I can speak far less intelligently about the banking sector, etc.

My entire point is that once again, ND is not the world class institution many people are convinced it to be. It's a fine school on par with a very good public university. Worthy of all the mythical and magical stuff their PR department pumps out-not hardly. To put it quite bluntly, ND is just not THAT hard to get into.

Going back to the original point of recruiting, most of the "issues" people reference are due to ND not really taking many if any transfers. This makes the portal a non factor really for ND and does put them at a disadvantage.

I suppose that ai should also state that my experience was between like 2005 until 2015 or so. Schools and their reputations change, sometimes seemingly overnight. Perhaps in the last five years or so, ND has made great strides.
What resumes did go to the front of the line, if any, and what company did you work for? If you were hiring for some highly specialized tech or engineering stuff, I’m not surprised GT kids were sought out. I’m talking generally though. ND accepts something like 14% of people who apply. That’s just a little bit higher than places like Vandy and Duke.

ND is a really good school. There are recruiting issues there that the big SEC schools and even the Big Ten schools don’t have to deal with. I don’t think UF is turning people away from their athletic programs due to academics.

Say what you want but Kelly may be destined for Tik Tok stardom with whatever that was. What I saw was terrible but not as bad as them Island Boys.

What resumes did go to the front of the line, if any, and what company did you work for? If you were hiring for some highly specialized tech or engineering stuff, I’m not surprised GT kids were sought out. I’m talking generally though. ND accepts something like 14% of people who apply. That’s just a little bit higher than places like Vandy and Duke.

ND is a really good school. There are recruiting issues there that the big SEC schools and even the Big Ten schools don’t have to deal with. I don’t think UF is turning people away from their athletic programs due to academics.

Generally speaking, the majority of schools varied from client to client. Yes, this was strictly tech based or engineering recruiting. I am assuming we are talking schools who have a football history here correct? I mean you could be guaranteed MIT, RPI, etc were going to be prioritized but they are schools which have minimal athletic programs. Stanford was usually a candidate, but they are a private school. If we are talking public schools, most common would be-GT, UCLA, UF, occasionally Texas if something more science based.

I agree, UF is not turning away kids for academics but 95 percent plus of athletes are certainly not going to be studying science or engineering. As far as I know, it is only their science and engineering kids which are highly valued. Some kid with a degree in urban planning or some such nonsense is probably still going to be flipping burgers.

I was not aware ND only accepted 14 percent? Perhaps they have made strides in the last few years as I am removed from that scene now lol. I got accepted there out of high school and don't remember their application process being that elaborate. Applied only due to family pressures, but had no interest in going there.

VN Store

Back