Brian Kelly Makes Cringe Video With Recruit

Generally speaking, the majority of schools varied from client to client. Yes, this was strictly tech based or engineering recruiting. I am assuming we are talking schools who have a football history here correct? I mean you could be guaranteed MIT, RPI, etc were going to be prioritized but they are schools which have minimal athletic programs. Stanford was usually a candidate, but they are a private school. If we are talking public schools, most common would be-GT, UCLA, UF, occasionally Texas if something more science based.

I agree, UF is not turning away kids for academics but 95 percent plus of athletes are certainly not going to be studying science or engineering. As far as I know, it is only their science and engineering kids which are highly valued. Some kid with a degree in urban planning or some such nonsense is probably still going to be flipping burgers.

I was not aware ND only accepted 14 percent? Perhaps they have made strides in the last few years as I am removed from that scene now lol. I got accepted there out of high school and don't remember their application process being that elaborate. Applied only due to family pressures, but had no interest in going there.
Yes according to this site and Wikipedia, it's 14% (link actually says 16%). It's more selective than places like NYU, Cal, Emory, and West Point and roughly on par with schools like Georgetown, UCLA, and Tulane. As a comparison UVA's acceptance rate in 2020 was 23% and GT's was 21%.

ND I think is one of the few schools around that is not going to sell out their academic reputation/exclusivity to have a good football team, because they have more to lose than most schools do if their academic reputation took a hit.

Hardest colleges to get into in the U.S. in 2022

BTW, I say this as someone who doesn't really like ND and their elitism. There is a lot of mystique about the place that is unique, and they use that mystique to try and set their institution apart, but there are lots of other good schools too. Their never joining a conference is a manifestation of that elitism, but any other school in the country would be doing the same thing they are doing if they could.

I don't think it's too smart to imagine too strong of a connection between admission of scholarship athletes and everybody else. We know there's a difference (after all, Lori Laughlin went to prison). Personally I would not presume to tell everybody what that admissions office is doing. I don't think it's too smart to imagine that hiring managers don't hire people because the football players are smarter someplace else. The resumes we get here generally look like astronauts. We're not hiring the average. We're hiring an individual human being. Never once have I said "I would not hire this person because so-and-so athlete can't read."

On the contrary, we actually don't hire anybody from Notre Dame.

Easy? They have tough academic restrictions and it's located in a frigid dump. It isn't 1970...that place isn't easy to recruit to anymore.
If they have the grades, they can just about lock up any Catholic kid in the Midwest/Northeast. The powerhouse programs and talent in those regions tend to be at the parochial schools, so yes it’s still fairly easy to recruit to.

Reactions: tbwhhs
If they have the grades, they can just about lock up any Catholic kid in the Midwest/Northeast. The powerhouse programs and talent in those regions tend to be at the parochial schools, so yes it’s still fairly easy to recruit to.
How many Catholic kids in the Northeast are elite football players? Are they elite relative to kids from powerhouse programs in the south?

How many Catholic kids in the Northeast are elite football players?
Ranking wise there are plenty and they’re not “restricted” to just those regions. The Catholic/prep pull is nation wide. ND has 9 prep school kids ranked a 5.7 or better (8 are 4*) in their 2022 class; 6 are at Catholic schools and come from California and Arizona in addition to the Midwest/NE.

Reactions: tbwhhs
Ranking wise there are plenty and they’re not “restricted” to just those regions. The Catholic/prep pull is nation wide. ND has 9 prep school kids ranked a 5.7 or better (8 are 4*) in their 2022 class; 6 are at Catholic schools and come from California and Arizona in addition to the Midwest/NE.
It's nowhere near the pull it used to be, and "if they have the grades" can be a big if. It isn't 1970 where lots of Catholics had "their team" (if ND wasn't their team to begin with), and then also pulled for ND.

The country has become more secular and the balance of power in the sport has shifted to the south, where there just aren't many Catholics. The fact that ND is still as good as they are in the current environment is actually really impressive. It's a small, private Catholic school located in the cold upper midwest, away from lots of the top players in the country. In ND's heyday, the Catholic thing was a much bigger draw and they were located right in the middle of the spot in the country where a bunch of the top players came from.

It's nowhere near the pull it used to be, and "if they have the grades" can be a big if. It isn't 1970 where lots of Catholics had "their team" (if ND wasn't their team to begin with), and then also pulled for ND.

The country has become more secular and the balance of power in the sport has shifted to the south, where there just aren't many Catholics. The fact that ND is still as good as they are in the current environment is actually really impressive. It's a small, private Catholic school located in the cold upper midwest, away from lots of the top players in the country. In ND's heyday, the Catholic thing was a much bigger draw and they were located right in the middle of the spot in the country where a bunch of the top players came from.
It only takes 25 per year and there 25 kids who are smart enough and athletic enough to compete at a top 25 level. Throw in that you have a leg up on the ones who are at Catholic schools then it’s not that hard. You keep saying it’s hard, yet ND’s last 5 classes have averaged right around 12th in the nation and they have a good shot at a top 5 class this year. The secular-ness of the country as a whole is irrelevant to ND, if we’re talking about recruiting kids from parochial schools and deeply religious families. They pulled 8 kids last year from the South, 5 from prep/parochial schools. You can say what you want about their pull amongst recruits but with a certain subset they still carry a lot of weight and do damn well at locking those kids down.

It only takes 25 per year and there 25 kids who are smart enough and athletic enough to compete at a top 25 level. Throw in that you have a leg up on the ones who are at Catholic schools then it’s not that hard. You keep saying it’s hard, yet ND’s last 5 classes have averaged right around 12th in the nation and they have a good shot at a top 5 class this year. The secular-ness of the country as a whole is irrelevant to ND, if we’re talking about recruiting kids from parochial schools and deeply religious families. They pulled 8 kids last year from the South, 5 from prep/parochial schools. You can say what you want about their pull amongst recruits but with a certain subset they still carry a lot of weight and do damn well at locking those kids down.
Their recruiting has been good, but look what happens when ND plays playoff teams. They don't have the athletes.

ND has a ceiling...and it's why Kelly left.

Of course there are going to be regional biases. An engineering firm in Atlanta would prefer an engineering grad from GT than ND. I bet you hiring managers in Chicago would prefer ND grads over Georgia Tech, UNC, UVA, or maybe even Vandy. There are also a ton of ND kids who go to NYC and work on Wall Street and other places; although they are viewed as riff raff relative to the Ivy League schools the big banks like to hire from. That's a pretty insular world up there, and they seem to like to hire people from northeastern schools + ND and Michigan.

In a vacuum (removing regional biases), ND is right there with UVA or UNC and would be preferred over every SEC school except Vandy.
ND is nothing special in engineering, probably 6th among the ACC schools. UT is as good in many fields of engineering and GT is far better by every metric. I can’t comment on their status in other fields.

Might be cringe worthy to us, but kids and their social media accounts love the material. It's all about the phones these days. Hats are lame these days. Gotta get new stuff to post about.

Might be cringe worthy to us, but kids and their social media accounts love the material. It's all about the phones these days. Hats are lame these days. Gotta get new stuff to post about.

No chance. Kids understand how cringe this is. Trust me.

Any recruit considering LSU, Lane will walk into their living room, Pull up this video, show the whole family and say “you really want to be coached by this clown?” And that’ll be the end of it.

Reactions: sona
So I we should have realized this after the first one, they have a purpose built cringe video room. Is UT falling behind in the cringe race?

PS did Ed O use this room? And is safe to look for that using my work computer?

So I we should have realized this after the first one, they have a purpose built cringe video room. Is UT falling behind in the cringe race?

PS did Ed O use this room? And is safe to look for that using my work computer?
I'm just glad our film room is no longer our cringe room.

VN Store

Back