Brent Venables

Ven isnt leaving Clemson, not anytime soon. His son is joining the team as a LB and he has stated he has no desire to be a HC, at least not now. Prob would go back to KState (IMO) once Snyder retires, but not even that is a sure thing.
I'd have a hard time believing he would turn down TN, unless he felt Dabo was leaving soon for Bama and he's in line replace him. We'd gladly take his son. Is BV a KSU alum? Can't see anyone objectively choosing K-State over TN, alum or not.

I'd have a hard time believing he would turn down TN, unless he felt Dabo was leaving soon for Bama and he's in line replace him. We'd gladly take his son. Is BV a KSU alum? Can't see anyone objectively choosing K-State over TN, alum or not.

Born in Kansas and played at KSU. Began his coaching career there as well. He says he doesn't want to be a HC right now....go figure. Some guys are like that.

Reactions: 1 person
Born in Kansas and played at KSU. Began his coaching career there as well. He says he doesn't want to be a HC right now....go figure. Some guys are like that.
I guess there is something to be said for recognizing a good situation when you have it. Seems really driven and competitive to me, I'd think he'd welcome the challenge. But, whatever makes you happy.

Is he considered a top notch recruiter?
We all know that Clemson has been killing it lately on the recruiting trail.
Wonder if Venables is a big part of that?

They all say that while they still have a job to do. The difficult thing here is that we would have to wait until Clemson is finished their season before we could announce anything, by which time a large amount of VN would have assumed a fetal position. My favorite candidate though.

The more I look into Venables, the less I like the idea of hiring him.
Please elaborate? I've wondered for years why he hasn't gotten a HC job, thought there may be something in his background I'm not aware of. Seems like he should have been given a shot by now

Need elite defense minded coach...lookat vs butch can't beat muscramp well because he's butch but muscramp defenses are always more thst he can handle. Same for bama and now uga......trend is what always been you want win championships u better have beast defense period

Exactly, but just about everybody gets distracted by bright shiny things - like gaudy PAC offenses that work because they don't play defense. The SEC is full of failing teams that have chucked HCs because they can't beat Saban. The commonality - they hired offensive minded coaches and can't figure out why they are still losing in a conference built around defensive play.

Read almost any article on football today, and it dwells on offense. However, GA scored 40 unnecessary points because the defense made anything over a single point unnecessary. Writers gush over "winning touchdowns", but a "winning interception" is just a play that made a loss an "almost win".

Venables has no reason to leave Clemson. That is his future job if Dabo leaves. And he’s been there long enough to have already gotten a great job. He ain’t leaving.

Exactly, but just about everybody gets distracted by bright shiny things - like gaudy PAC offenses that work because they don't play defense. The SEC is full of failing teams that have chucked HCs because they can't beat Saban. The commonality - they hired offensive minded coaches and can't figure out why they are still losing in a conference built around defensive play.

Read almost any article on football today, and it dwells on offense. However, GA scored 40 unnecessary points because the defense made anything over a single point unnecessary. Writers gush over "winning touchdowns", but a "winning interception" is just a play that made a loss an "almost win".

I cannot deny everyone's statements about defense......and I do agree but,

The last 7 teams to beat Bama (0ver the past 5 years) have all been offensive teams (and all of them used a form of the spread read)...........Only Clemson loss from last year did a team (that beat Bama) have a defense that gave up less than 22 ppg.......and only 2 of those teams gave up 22.........5 teams gave up greater than 22 ppg.

Right now Offense beats Alabama. It has been since 2011 (LSU) that Bama lost to a defensive team.........and that Bama team went on to beat the same LSU team in the NC game.

I cannot deny everyone's statements about defense......and I do agree but,

The last 7 teams to beat Bama (0ver the past 5 years) have all been offensive teams (and all of them used a form of the spread read)...........Only Clemson loss from last year did a team (that beat Bama) have a defense that gave up less than 22 ppg.......and only 2 of those teams gave up 22.........5 teams gave up greater than 22 ppg.

Right now Offense beats Alabama. It has been since 2011 (LSU) that Bama lost to a defensive team.........and that Bama team went on to beat the same LSU team in the NC game.
Its not just about Bama. Solid defense beats Vandy, SC, UF, etc.
I know what you mean, but Defense still wins championships.

Reactions: 3 people
Its not just about Bama. Solid defense beats Vandy, SC, UF, etc.
I know what you mean, but Defense still wins championships.

My entire point is that Bama has been winning championships.......and Offense beats them.......nothing else.

Also the past 5 national champions have all been pretty darn good on offense.

ppg these (championship) teams scored
2016: 39
2015: 33
2014: 47
2013: 51
2012: 40

Many people are stuck in the past, Offense beats Bama, and Offense wins national championships.

The 2015 Bama team had by far the best D of any of the past 5 champions.........and the only teams to beat Bama over the past 5 years (7 teams did it) were offensive teams.

Sure I would hope Tennessee will hire a new coach and have a great defense........but if Tennessee wants to win any championship they better have a great offense.

My entire point is that Bama has been winning championships.......and Offense beats them.......nothing else.

Many people are stuck in the past, Offense beats Bama, and Offense wins national championships.

The 2015 Bama team had by far the best D of any of the past 5 champions.........and the only teams to beat Bama over the past 5 years (7 teams did it) were offensive teams.

Sure I would hope Tennessee will hire a new coach and have a great defense........but if Tennessee wants to win any championship they better have a great offense.

Right, or you could say that all the games they win is because of their defense. Georgia this year is wining games because of defense. Kirby Smart is the best "Sabanite" so far. I think its because he is a defensive coach as opposed to coach Mac at UF or Fisher at FSU. As for Bama, there is no question that defense wins their titles. I would rather beat people down and ruin their whole season, like what they did to FSU (and I think Vandy and Ole Miss) than win games where leaving :58 seconds on the clock after scoring still gets you beat. Think of how many of those games we have lost over the last few years...Dools and Jones are "offensive" minded coaches. I for one am ready to bring back some defense. Naturally with our offense and defense being pretty soft right now, we need both and can probably agree on that! :)

If UT hired Venables, he could take the Kansas St job when Snyder retires or head back to Clemson when Dabo takes the Bama job. That's a big risk with him.

If UT hired Venables, he could take the Kansas St job when Snyder retires or head back to Clemson when Dabo takes the Bama job. That's a big risk with him.

Any good coach we take could leave for the other job. If that is what we are making a decision on, we should take Fulmer, Kiffin, or Cut back...the only three that have no where else to go.

Any good coach we take could leave for the other job. If that is what we are making a decision on, we should take Fulmer, Kiffin, or Cut back...the only three that have no where else to go.

Kiffin was young and immature and made a bad decision. Had he stayed and matured (hasn't quite mastered that yet), and still here currently, he would probably have UT in a pretty good spot. JMO.

I think Venables will be a top 3 choice for Mississippi (Venables, Miles, Petrino).

If you don't score, you can not win. Remember, Neyland had a season where his team did not give up a single point during the regular season and won them all. I will take that any time.

Reactions: 2 people
If you don't score, you can not win. Remember, Neyland had a season where his team did not give up a single point during the regular season and won them all. I will take that any time.

and they went on to lose in the bowl game

but I still think that has to be one of the best teams of all time.

Things are much different now days. Sure you need a good defense, but if you want to make a national championship run you have to be able to score.

Even the 2011 Bama and LSU teams had some dominant offense (LSU scoring 40+ 9 out of 14 times, and 35 and 38, only scored less than 35 3 times that season).

Again I am not saying teams don't need a great D, but with a playoff you better have a great O to go along with it (playoff championship winning scores: 35, 45, 42). Over the past 25 years the NC winner scored more than 30 points in their NC winning game 17 times.......only 8 times did they score less, and they scored 40+ 10 times.

and they went on to lose in the bowl game

but I still think that has to be one of the best teams of all time.

Things are much different now days. Sure you need a good defense, but if you want to make a national championship run you have to be able to score.

Even the 2011 Bama and LSU teams had some dominant offense (LSU scoring 40+ 9 out of 14 times, and 35 and 38, only scored less than 35 3 times that season).

Again I am not saying teams don't need a great D, but with a playoff you better have a great O to go along with it (playoff championship winning scores: 35, 45, 42). Over the past 25 years the NC winner scored more than 30 points in their NC winning game 17 times.......only 8 times did they score less, and they scored 40+ 10 times.

Yes they did and I ams sure, You being the all-knowing fan that you want to be, realize that in those days, General Neyland did not give a crap about bowls games because they did not have any meaning in the National standing. He viewed bowl game as an opportunity for the players to have a good time and have fun playing a game with no pressure. Today, the football series games are the final and most important games of the season and which determine the National Champion.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes they did and I ams sure, You being the all-knowing fan that you want to be, realize that in those days, General Neyland did not give a crap about bowls games because they did not have any meaning in the National standing. He viewed bowl game as an opportunity for the players to have a good time and have fun playing a game with no pressure. Today, the football series games are the final and most important games of the season and which determine the National Champion.

As I stated in the post, I think that is prob the best team of all time.

I was also just putting some facts up there to back up my claim......doesn't mean it would end up being true.........but it has a better chance to.

And using a team from 1939 to make your point about offense and defense today.............is not a great argument.

I was also just putting some facts up there to back up my claim......doesn't mean it would end up being true.........but it has a better chance to.

And using a team from 1939 to make your point about offense and defense today.............is not a great argument.

You obviously believe offense is the more important element, and some of us believe it's defense - we all have our reasons and that's fine. I noticed an interesting thing today in the thread about "favorite players" - without a true count, it seems balanced between offense and defense; yet most people seem to want an offensive guy as the next coach. There's something interesting about it - the recognition that those defensive players made that much impact in their memory, but still the impression that offense is the key. I think the media have a lot to do with that.

From my perspective there's not a problem in the world with using older teams as a model in today's football. And if all-offense-all-the-time turns football into the absurdity that basketball has become, then I'll no longer watch football either.

To each his/her own. If you let a team score, you don't lose. It would finally end in a tie.

I think Venables will be a top 3 choice for Mississippi (Venables, Miles, Petrino).

Petrino will not get a smell at Ole Ms. I would guess that it will be Miles to turn down. I would also think Venables would be in our top 3 but he will not go where there is this probation going on.

VN Store

Back