*****Breaking: 2020 5-star F Corey Walker Commits to Tennessee!!!

that’s very high praise for a kid that you now say you weren’t expecting much from. Lol

Tyler smith averaged 33 minutes a game his freshmen year and 14 points.
Tyler Smith also played for a pretty average (at best) Iowa team that sorely needed him to play big minutes immediately. They only had 2 other forwards on the roster who averaged a combined 8 points.

Walker is coming in to a position where the 3 guys ahead of him are all SRs and averaged a combined 40 ppg (including Anosike's numbers at SH). Take EJA's contribution away, and it still leaves 24.5 points

So let's keep this an apples to apples conversation.

Additionally, me believing he has a Tyler Smith skillset doesn't automatically equate to a direct reflection of a Tyler Smith career arc, either. So you won't be surprised to find that I don't necessarily also believe that Walker will be dismissed from the team midway thru his senior year for having a concealed weapon with the serial number filed off of it. You know, since I said he's gonna do everything Tyler Smith did. 🙄

You argue with the skill and tact of a 10 year old.

Last edited:
Tyler Smith also played for a pretty average (at best) Iowa team that sorely needed him to play big minutes immediately. They only had 2 other forwards on the roster who averaged a combined 8 points.

Walker is coming in to a position where the 3 guys ahead of him are all SRs and averaged a combined 40 ppg (including Anosike's numbers at SH). Take EJA's contribution away, and it still leaves 24.5 points

So let's keep this an apples to apples conversation.

Additionally, me believing he has a Tyler Smith skillset doesn't automatically equate to a direct reflection of a Tyler Smith career arc, either. So you won't be surprised to find that I don't necessarily also believe that Walker will be dismissed from the team midway thru his senior year for having a concealed weapon with the serial number filed off of it. You know, since I said he's gonna do everything Tyler Smith did. 🙄

You argue with the skill and tact of a 10 year old.

I get it your comparison may end up being spot on with Tyler Smith or it might end just like @bleedingTNorange Telling us Zach Kent was the next Luke Kornet. We also have heard from many that Drew Pember is going to be Chandler Parsons.

The thing is you can’t make comparisons like that with these young guys and then in the same breath ridicule others that point out reasons they think those outcomes aren’t going to happen. This board is great because of all kinds of opinions.

I get it your comparison may end up being spot on with Tyler Smith or it might end just like @bleedingTNorange Telling us Zach Kent was the next Luke Kornet. We also have heard from many that Drew Pember is going to be Chandler Parsons.

The thing is you can’t make comparisons like that with these young guys and then in the same breath ridicule others that point out reasons they think those outcomes aren’t going to happen. This board is great because of all kinds of opinions.
Literally, the only thing I have "ridiculed" is your assertion that Walker doesn't love basketball because he chose personal development over AAU competition. Every other disagreement is one you've manufactured. I can't believe that fact is continually lost on you and is still being debated. No one, especially not me, is asserting that Walker is an instant star in the same way that Johnson or Springer would seem to be.

And again, you seem to have trouble with understanding the difference between a skillset comparison and a direct proclamation that player Y is the next player X. Just like my Tyler Smith comparison where I said that Walker's skillset REMINDS me of Tyler Smith's skillset, believing that Kent and Kornet had similar skillsets (that was directly from the staff, not BTO, btw), and that Pember has a skillset similar to that of Parsons is not a belief that any of the three will experience the same level of success. It is simply using a well-known former player as a comparison on skills and game types, not talent. You're a smart guy, so me having to explain that like I would to a five year old is going to come off as insulting, but you've been rather obtuse to the idea, intentionally or otherwise.

I dont know how to make any of this any more clear. I'm both surprised and not surprised that the discussion has continued for this long without any further clarity for you.

Literally, the only thing I have "ridiculed" is your assertion that Walker doesn't love basketball because he chose personal development over AAU competition. Every other disagreement is one you've manufactured. I can't believe that fact is continually lost on you and is still being debated. No one, especially not me, is asserting that Walker is an instant star in the same way that Johnson or Springer would seem to be.

And again, you seem to have trouble with understanding the difference between a skillset comparison and a direct proclamation that player Y is the next player X. Just like my Tyler Smith comparison where I said that Walker's skillset REMINDS me of Tyler Smith's skillset, believing that Kent and Kornet had similar skillsets (that was directly from the staff, not BTO, btw), and that Pember has a skillset similar to that of Parsons is not a belief that any of the three will experience the same level of success. It is simply using a well-known former player as a comparison on skills and game types, not talent. You're a smart guy, so me having to explain that like I would to a five year old is going to come off as insulting, but you've been rather obtuse to the idea, intentionally or otherwise.

I dont know how to make any of this any more clear. I'm both surprised and not surprised that the discussion has continued for this long without any further clarity for you.

look I’m getting dang old and my experience has shown me over the years that The likelihood of a player having a lower work ethic or having a less than ideal love for their sport is directly connected to their desire to play in competition.

Now that doesn’t mean that always is the case but it certainly does mean that the likelihood of that being the case is higher

and btw I simply said “I wasn’t surprised to hear Walker wasn’t in shape”. You decided to start the ridicule

look I’m getting dang old and my experience has shown me over the years that The likelihood of a player having a lower work ethic or having a less than ideal love for their sport is directly connected to their desire to play in competition.

Now that doesn’t mean that always is the case but it certainly does mean that the likelihood of that being the case is higher

and btw I simply said “I wasn’t surprised to hear Walker wasn’t in shape”. You decided to start the ridicule
Okay, but then you made it about a dozen other things that neither I, nor anyone else attempted to argue. The very fact that you jumped threads to pull up my Tyler Smith comparison is proof of that.

And don't insult anyone's intelligence feigning innocence with that post. We all knew what you meant and what you were referencing with that comment. In fact, the very first comment post-gif was from someone who immediately recalled that very discussion from months ago. The intent behind your post was more thinly-veiled than you're leading on.

Okay, but then you made it about a dozen other things that neither I, nor anyone else attempted to argue. The very fact that you jumped threads to pull up my Tyler Smith comparison is proof of that.

And don't insult anyone's intelligence feigning innocence with that post. We all knew what you meant and what you were referencing with that comment. In fact, the very first comment post-gif was from someone who immediately recalled that very discussion from months ago. The intent behind your post was more thinly-veiled than you're leading on.

this thread was bumped to prove that when this guy committed much was expected from a 5star as an immediate contributor which you said otherwise.

Sure our roster is loaded but a true 5 star, which walker clearly isn’t, would be a lock to play 15-20 minutes behind the older guys.

The fact even you admit that a guy your dissatisfaction in has been very prominent in post is going to play more than walker is very telling how far the expectations for this guy has fallen since this thread was created

this thread was bumped to prove that when this guy committed much was expected from a 5star as an immediate contributor which you said otherwise.

Okay, that's fine, but you quoted my post about a comparison to Tyler Smith's skillset to prove that point, which it doesn't. There is no direct marriage between those two ideas, at all.

Sure our roster is loaded but a true 5 star, which walker clearly isn’t, would be a lock to play 15-20 minutes behind the older guys.

The fact that you clearly don't recognize the obvious fallacy in this statement is both incredible and troubling.

The fact even you admit that a guy your dissatisfaction in has been very prominent in post is going to play more than walker is very telling how far the expectations for this guy has fallen since this thread was created

And yes, if you had asked me 6 months ago if I believed that ORN would play more than Walker, I'd have not believed you. But, 6 months ago, Walker's entire offseason wasn't wiped out by a national pandemic, EJ Anosike wasn't a Tennessee Volunteer, and Yves Pons was putting the finishing touches on an SEC DPOY season that had him on the verge of leaving school to turn pro a year early. Kind of a lot has happened in 6 months. We are now super deep at Walker's position and a redshirt season is on the table for him. Barnes said himself, "We wouldn't redshirt a guy we don't have big plans for and a guy we don't think can contribute. We don't want to waste a year for a guy to play minimal minutes." It appears that they simply dont believe they will need him this year, which is understandable given the talent, depth, and experience in front of him and the workout time missed in the offseason with the coaches and strength team. He is behind the 8-ball thru no fault of his own. You, yourself, admitted that if ever there was an offseason for a freshman to fall behind, it was this one.

VN Store

Back