Bray tonight

"He was the best we had since the Iceman" but he "was not that great". He captained one of the most prolific offenses in UT history as a junior without any grasp over the mental side of the game. He threw for more yards in a single game than anyone in UT history, including Manning, and that was because our defense literally could not stop a wet paper bag. Bray is the definition of a "prolific passer". And you are fooling yourself with jilted emotions if you really think otherwise. Bray was NOT a complete, NFL ready quarterback. He IS a prolific passer.

Tee Martin set the single game record for consecutive completions. Would you consider him a prolific passer?
You need a lot more than a few single game records to be a prolific passer imo.

Reactions: 2 people
Tee Martin set the single game record for consecutive completions. Would you consider him a prolific passer?
You need a lot more than a few single game records to be a prolific passer imo.

Oh no, I'm sorry, ranking 4th all time in every passing stat in school history in only 3 years and having the second highest passer rating in school history behind only Peyton Manning makes you prolific. He was on pace to come in second in every stat, only to PM. And that is without having a clue what to do with the mental game. As a junior, his offense averaged 36 points a game in the SEC, he threw for over 3600 yards, 34 TDs, and only 12 INTs. His offense ranked second in passing in the SEC behind only the Heisman winning performance of Johnny Manziel. It just doesn't get much more prolific than that, man. He was pretty much winging it and relying simply on his sheer passing ability and STILL put up one of the best offenses in UT history. If our defense doesn't AVERAGE 35 POINTS A GAME that year, we are looking at a totally different year and outlook on Bray's legacy here. But you get jilted because now everyone knows he was barely trying. I'm just as pissed as anyone that he pissed away a first round draft pick and even better numbers if he had buckled down, watched film, and became a student of the game, but that doesn't change the fact that Bray has an inane, prolific, and elite passing ability. He is the definition of a prolific passer. He is not a prolific quarterback (yet), and there is a profound and distinct difference between the two.

Reactions: 16 people
Oh no, I'm sorry, ranking 4th all time in every passing stat in school history in only 3 years and having the second highest passer rating in school history behind only Peyton Manning makes you prolific. He was on pace to come in second in every stat, only to PM. And that is without having a clue what to do with the mental game. As a junior, his offense averaged 36 points a game in the SEC, he threw for over 3600 yards, 34 TDs, and only 12 INTs. His offense ranked second in passing in the SEC behind only the Heisman winning performance of Johnny Manziel. It just doesn't get much more prolific than that, man. He was pretty much winging it and relying simply on his sheer passing ability and STILL put up one of the best offenses in UT history. If our defense doesn't AVERAGE 35 POINTS A GAME that year, we are looking at a totally different year and outlook on Bray's legacy here. But you get jilted because now everyone knows he was barely trying. I'm just as pissed as anyone that he pissed away a first round draft pick and even better numbers if he had buckled down, watched film, and became a student of the game, but that doesn't change the fact that Bray has an inane, prolific, and elite passing ability. He is the definition of a prolific passer. He is not a prolific quarterback (yet), and there is a profound and distinct difference between the two.

Well since you put it that way.....:)

They are going to resign Alex Smith. Andy Reid wanted Alex Smith in Philly. Andy Reid was hired by Clark Hunt before they had a GM. Andy Reid had influence on hiring John Dorsey as GM and firing Pioli. If Andy Reid wants Alex Smith, he will get Alex long term. The word in KC is they (Alex's agent Tom Condon) were offset in setting the market for Alex when Andy Dalton signed that horrible deal that is basically 2 years guaranteed money. Alex wants 4 years. Everyone in KC knows it's going to happen. It may not happen before week 1 but it will eventually get done.

Well, after these two posts I started wondering how you could force someone to resign. Lucky for me I now understand this to be interchangeable with re-sign! :)

I'm just as pissed as anyone that he pissed away a first round draft pick and even better numbers if he had buckled down, watched film, and became a student of the game, but that doesn't change the fact that Bray has an inane, prolific, and elite passing ability. He is the definition of a prolific passer. He is not a prolific quarterback (yet), and there is a profound and distinct difference between the two.

Inane: empty, void, silly

yup

Agree to disagree. We obviously have different interpretations of what prolific means. Putting him up there with Murray is foolish though.

prolific
prəˈlɪfɪk/Submit
adjective
(of a plant, animal, or person) producing much fruit or foliage or many offspring.
"in captivity tigers are prolific breeders"
synonyms: productive, creative, inventive, fertile
"he was enormously prolific, writing 263 solo cantatas and arias"
(of an artist, author, or composer) producing many works.
"he was a prolific composer of operas"
(of a sports player) high-scoring.
"a prolific goalscorer"
present in large numbers or quantities; plentiful.
"mahogany was once prolific in the tropical forests"
synonyms: plentiful, abundant, bountiful, profuse, copious, luxuriant, rich, lush, proliferative; More

Bray passed a lot and had more 300+ games than anyone else in a good while. He was a prolific passer, it is a fact, indisputable.

Now, was he a prolific winner? Not as much.

What a retarded statement. At 6'6" Bray is taller than all of them, Smith included. Not to mention Bray has the strongest arm on the team. Smith and Bray are clearly 1 & 2...Murray should easily send Daniels to FA.

Are you a NFL scout and/or GM? Give me a beak. You don't know crap. Have you seen him at practice for 1+ years like the Chiefs coaches. He is 6'6'' and thus he should be the QB. What a dumb comment. QB in the NFL is as much about IQ as it is about height and arm strength. Have you ever heard of Joe Montana? Sorry to rant but this comment was awful.

I read an article late last night that said Alex Smith and Tyler Bray would get most of the playing time in the 3rd preseason game (words from Andy Reid). It's hard to see an NFL team keeping 4 QB's on the roster. I would expect to see Chase Daniel dropped.

Good post Lurtz. Unfortunately, cold hard facts mean nothing on VN.

Reactions: 3 people
Bray a prolific passer??? Please tell me you're joking. He was a little above average at best.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on VN and there is a long list of candidate "stupid". For all of his other problems, Bray had a cannon and could use it....prolifically.

Reactions: 1 person
Bray was prolific as hell in all things but winning. I'm hopeful he gets an NFL shot mainly because I'm interested to see if he's a closer under different circumstances. I imagine he could be.

Some people don't realize you can be a prolific PASSER and at the same time not be a COMPLETE QB. Bray was a PASSER with no understanding of true quarterback play. Elite Arm talent that allowed him to get away with a lot of the nuances he lacked.

Bray has looked solid in all of limited appearances though and shows promise. I don't know why they'd keep Daniels over him and Murray.

Didn't Bray line up behind the guard against Memphis?

I'm not sure if Bray did or not, but I DO know for a fact that John Elway lined up behind the guard in his rookie season with the Broncos. So, I'm going to go out on a limb and state that is a worthless criterion for determining the competence level of a quarterback.

Bray has looked solid in all of limited appearances though and shows promise. I don't know why they'd keep Daniels over him and Murray.
It probably has something to do with Daniel having completed 68.1% of his passes while playing in 50 NFL games, and the fact that Daniel completed 68.0% of his passes in 4 years while in college at Missouri.

The fact that Daniel finished 4th in the Heisman voting in 2007, and the fact that he was a part of 2 Texas 5A state championship teams, and 1 Texas 5A runnerup while in high school probably don't hurt. He did quarterback one loss in high school, which would be a black mark against him though.

Being named Texas 5A high school player of the year would add to his resume, which shows considerably more success than Bray's. I believe that Murray played for the same high school team in Texas. Chase Daniel is a winner and a competitor with the game on the line.

Bray was not that great when he was here. What's so hard to understand? He was not as good as Murray and certainly wasn't a "prolific" passer. He was the best we had since the Iceman but that's not saying much.

lots of dumb in this. A. the best we had since iceman was ainge. bray had some gaudy numbers but if i have a game winning drive that needs to be ran im takin ainge every time over bray plus ainge could actually read and understand defenses. he had less wr talent and more rb talent around him so he didnt have to throw it as much as bray or his numbers would have been similar cause he had more accuracy and a better understanding of the game. and B. bray was no slouch! he put up some amazing numbers with a terrible coach, multiple offensive coordinators and a terrible defense!!

It probably has something to do with Daniel having completed 68.1% of his passes while playing in 50 NFL games, and the fact that Daniel completed 68.0% of his passes in 4 years while in college at Missouri.

The fact that Daniel finished 4th in the Heisman voting in 2007, and the fact that he was a part of 2 Texas 5A state championship teams, and 1 Texas 5A runnerup while in high school probably don't hurt. He did quarterback one loss in high school, which would be a black mark against him though.

Being named Texas 5A high school player of the year would add to his resume, which shows considerably more success than Bray's. I believe that Murray played for the same high school team in Texas. Chase Daniel is a winner and a competitor with the game on the line.

Troy Smith won the Heisman. Tebow won the Heisman and the NC. Look at where they are and most Heisman winners. Tebow was a "winner" but failed to win a starting job in the NFL. The only fact you said that is worth looking at is the 68% completed passes. Now, that being said, I do believe Chase is a winner and a good player. But I believe he is undersized (I think he is 6ft flat, icr) and Murray/Bray have more potential in the long run. Having Chase on your team wouldn't hurt but there are quarterbacks I would choose over him.

Troy Smith won the Heisman. Tebow won the Heisman and the NC. Look at where they are and most Heisman winners. Tebow was a "winner" but failed to win a starting job in the NFL. The only fact you said that is worth looking at is the 68% completed passes. Now, that being said, I do believe Chase is a winner and a good player. But I believe he is undersized (I think he is 6ft flat, icr) and Murray/Bray have more potential in the long run. Having Chase on your team wouldn't hurt but there are quarterbacks I would choose over him.
There were reasons that Bray was not drafted, and I think that inconsistency was at the top. NFL franchises are wary of handing the reins to a qb who has been known to take off a series or two, a quarter, a half, or in the case of Vandy and Kentucky, a complete game. Bray has to prove to his team that he has what it takes to play every play. Maybe he will. Maybe he won't.

Reactions: 1 person

One thing is for certain- NFL executives have seen every throw Bray has made in the last year at least a dozen times. If they don't think he has what it takes, then I would trust their decision over high school stats, college stats and height measurements. There have been a few good 6'0'' QB's over the past few years, i.e. Brees.

VN Store

Back