Black jerseys to be auctioned (merged)

I understand some of what Pruitt is doing is self preservation. That said, he needs to do a little guiding of his naive young men.
to this point, he's done a damn good job of it

IF we are going to wear black jerseys, I would rather see white numbers outlined in UT orange...MHO

The only people who see this as something to divide rather than unite are those who are willfully ignoring the fact that the donation of this money is both A) completely voluntary and B) not going to "Black Lives Matter" but other charitable organizations that have yet to be announced.

You would think the idea of supporting black Americans wouldn't be so controversial. The players came to Pruitt and asked him for his support. Pruitt being the leader of men he is obliged. This is a GOOD thing people. If you're going to cheer and support our majority black student athletes on the field as they put their blood, sweat, and tears on the line for wins in a football game, at the very least you can allow the student athletes to have their voices heard even if you don't support the movement (which is perfectly reasonable).

We can agree to disagree on how the voices should be heard.

The only people who see this as something to divide rather than unite are those who are willfully ignoring the fact that the donation of this money is both A) completely voluntary and B) not going to "Black Lives Matter" but other charitable organizations that have yet to be announced.

You would think the idea of supporting black Americans wouldn't be so controversial. The players came to Pruitt and asked him for his support. Pruitt being the leader of men he is obliged. This is a GOOD thing people. If you're going to cheer and support our majority black student athletes on the field as they put their blood, sweat, and tears on the line for wins in a football game, at the very least you can allow the student athletes to have their voices heard even if you don't support the movement (which is perfectly reasonable).

The issue I've seen questioned here is supporting BLM not a particular racial group. That said, isn't supporting one racial group to the exclusion of all others racist?

There have been plenty of other opportunities to raise funds for
causes such as Septemberr 11th victims, Iraq/Afghan veterans, etc. and I don't recall anything done by UTAD for those.

This is going to be far worse than when they named the street for Manning and retired his number. Both of those eventually caused "outrage".

How the victims and businesses destroyed from the peaceful protests?

The issue I've seen questioned here is supporting BLM not a particular racial group. That said, isn't supporting one racial group to the exclusion of all others racist?

They've changed the definition to include something or other about 'power', as well. Which means my wife could roll around dropping n-bombs on people and nobody could call her racist, by their definition.

It also means that blacks are racist in places like Zimbabwe and South Africa, where they systematically steal land and property from whites on the color of their skin. But that won't connect either.

It's fine to question the support of the Black Lives Matter organization, but it's already been clarified that the money isn't going to that organization. I just fail to see why people are so upset about something as harmless as auctioning game-worn jerseys. How is this any different than when people/organizations were doing something similar for COVID-19 relief funds? It's a completely voluntary donation.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
It's fine to question the support of the Black Lives Matter organization, but it's already been clarified that the money isn't going to that organization. I just fail to see why people are so upset about something as harmless as auctioning game-worn jerseys. How is this any different than when people were doing something similar for COVID-19 relief funds? It's a completely voluntary donation.

You've literally had this spelled out for you a hundred times in this thread and decide to ignore it.

This is a state school, for one. This is a school supported by people of all races, colors, backgrounds, religions, political beliefs, that have suffered from countless of humanity's natural injustices and challenges and downfalls. On the practical side it's a few hours on a few weekends for all of us to get away from what divides us (arguing that this doesn't divide us is stupid, look at this thread) and enjoy some peace and football.

These players are men that get a major leg up in life via free education, healthcare, food, living, and all the other benefits on campus that very few get to enjoy. Foisting the world's issues onto everyone in this way is a goober move, especially when there's basically nobody that's out here trying to lynch black people and all that evil anymore. Hell, assuming the event that kicked this all off was racially motivated is a massive leap of logic itself.

My number one choice will always be to see our players in Orange jerseys and white pants (T, stripes, I don't care.)
On November 7 I'll be there losing my voice cheering my Vols as long as they are not wearing "I Love Satan" t-shirts.
BLM the organization is being hijacked just like Kleenex, the term in no longer exclusive to the organization, or really even their original movement.
If the donations actually are intended for that organization I wouldn't donate, not because of the organization but because the BLM organization is not transparent with their finances. That's why they go through the ActBlue organization in an attempt to seem legitimate getting 501C status for donations.

Last edited:
Everybody always has to be offended or outraged at something. I support the players and Pruitt on this. If you don't like it, don't watch the game or buy the jerseys. Simple. It has been reported by many its not the BLM charity specifically but a charity supporting the movement. Smh at some of the responses on here...

It's fine to question the support of the Black Lives Matter organization, but it's already been clarified that the money isn't going to that organization. I just fail to see why people are so upset about something as harmless as auctioning game-worn jerseys. How is this any different than when people/organizations were doing something similar for COVID-19 relief funds? It's a completely voluntary donation.

Even if the donations are voluntary, based on the information presented so far (which may not be accurate) the university has chosen to support causes specifically benefiting one and only one identified racial group.

A state university and all its associated programs are different than "organizations or people who support things like this". Private sector groups are supposed to have the freedom to do whatever they want, a government supported entity does not.

Only if you don't think all lives matter.
Black lives don't matter in the hood...don't believe me read the newspaper....why ain't they protesting that ...black lives Killin black lives everyday
Hang on a sec while I pull up my white on white crime statistics.

This is my first post, but not going to be my last. I am deeply troubled by a lot of these comments. I also wonder to myself how many would be made in public with a person's real name attached to it. It is like you cheer for these young African-American Student Athletes but you don't really care what they have to say or how they feel. They are hurting, they are in pain, black lives are being taken for granted by our government. That is not a myth or fiction it is a fact. Coach Pruitt should not be accused of pandering or bolstering his recruiting profile, he should be praised for being a leader. Showing our young African-American Student Athletes how to protest peacefully and have their voices heard. He is de-escalating a painful truth many non-whites don't want to hear or even acknowledge. By comparison we could have had someone as tone deaf as Mike Gundy. I went to UT, I graduated from UT and today I am so very proud of my alma mater. And, candidly if you are not on board, I suggest you get out of the way and don't stop progress because change is coming fast and Neyland Stadium is not going to be the last place you see it. GBO and VFL (1993).

You've literally had this spelled out for you a hundred times in this thread and decide to ignore it.

This is a state school, for one. This is a school supported by people of all races, colors, backgrounds, religions, political beliefs, that have suffered from countless of humanity's natural injustices and challenges and downfalls. On the practical side it's a few hours on a few weekends for all of us to get away from what divides us (arguing that this doesn't divide us is stupid, look at this thread) and enjoy some peace and football.

These players are men that get a major leg up in life via free education, healthcare, food, living, and all the other benefits on campus that very few get to enjoy. Foisting the world's issues onto everyone in this way is a goober move, especially when there's basically nobody that's out here trying to lynch black people and all that evil anymore. Hell, assuming the event that kicked this all off was racially motivated is a massive leap of logic itself.

I would argue that this is a fair point if the school was donating tax payer dollars or funds received from concessions, ticket sales, merchandise, etc. to the charitable organizations since that would then be directly repurposing customers money. However, this money will be raised voluntarily. Don't buy a jersey if you don't want to support the cause. It's that simple.

And since you want to phrase it so aggressively, as I have said, multiple times, it's one thing to question whether or not the Black Lives Matter organization is a reputable or worthy organization, but I see little reason to get upset about non-BLM charities that just so happen to support African Americans. Would you be getting this upset if they auctioned off the game-worn jerseys to support Type 1 Diabetics and donated to JDRF? How about if the jerseys were auctioned off and the funds went to breast cancer?

Reactions: Vol49er
What opinion? That perpetuating support of BLM by young men that look up to you is not a good thing?
My opinion is that he's doing the right thing, so we'll just agree to disagree. Not sure how it is hurting you personally for you to take such a radical stance against Pruett's motives

Reactions: SpookyAction

VN Store

Back