Black jerseys to be auctioned (merged)

Pruitt needs be concerned about the entire community. Like the Silent Majority that never loots and burns stuff. Tennessee is a fairly Conservative State; as are a hefty % of UT Game attending fans; who cause no trouble, but have Ideals.

Pruitt IS concerned about the entire community. Black people are part of that community. It's just funny to me that him supporting his black student athletes has to be viewed as political. It's already been clarified that the money isn't going directly to BLM (the controversial org) but to charities that help black Americans. I'm sure Pruitt knows what's best for this team and for cultivating their success both on and off the field. It's a refreshing change of pace to have a coach who seems to have a genuinely great relationship with these kids.

Pruitt IS concerned about the entire community. Black people are part of that community. It's just funny to me that him supporting his black student athletes has to be viewed as political. It's already been clarified that the money isn't going directly to BLM (the controversial org) but to charities that help black Americans. I'm sure Pruitt knows what's best for this team and for cultivating their success both on and off the field. It's a refreshing change of pace to have a coach who seems to have a genuinely great relationship with these kids.

Has this been clarified? Asking because I dont know.

Sure - because that is what BLM is all about, "direct helping people" not any political action at all, no sir! :rolleyes:

I know Pruitt is perhaps trying to thread the needle but I am saddened for his signaling any support to this folly. That does not provide the example those young men need to actually get to the next level.

Look at Jeremy Banks - he isnt running around saying "I be good sir", he is actually DOING THINGS THAT MATTER, police ride alongs, helping other people, talking to kids, etc.

All these schools and coaches and public figures are TERRIFIED of the BLM mob coming after them. Would be nice for someone like Pruitt, who by all accounts is making real differences in not only black lives but the lives of every player he coaches, to actually show some backbone and explain to these kids the truth and continue being an example. But such is the nature of fear in this era.
Yeah I don’t even know what that means. I’m not aware they have any actual program for “directly helping people”

Reactions: allvol123
If it's true that it's not a direct donation to the BLM organization, but to charities to help minorities in the spirit of "Black lives matter," I don't think I see that as an issue. Tennessee works with all kinds of charities, that's not anything new. And I will add that, considering how vague the reporting is at this point, and (I imagine) how much they're still working out what they want to do with the jersey sales, it's probably for the best if we settle down and wait to see what clarification comes from the UT AD with respect to donation targets. This could all just be a misprint or a mixup from a reporter for all we know. Let's give them some benefit of the doubt until there's reason to feel otherwise.

So Austin Price is fake news

AP isn't fake news. He's a great reporter. I didn't listen to the interview but what I'm sure happened is that Pruitt misspoke. He probably said the funds will go to BLM but meant to say charities that support the BLM movement and not the organization itself.

Reactions: 08Vol
Good for Pruitt. I reckon this will get a bunch of people redneck mad about his decision, but at the end of the day he is a leader of these young men and I'm all for supporting whatever helps foster that trust and special relationship between the coach and his players. I think he realizes his impact as the coach extends much further than X's and O's and it's something Butch never understood.

Do I support the organization of Black Lives Matter itself? No. But I can respect the gesture and intent behind Pruitt's decision. I'm sure there will be some backlash and threats to cancel season tickets by certain portions of our fanbase though. The cynical point of view is that this could actually help recruiting, too.
I don't know Pruitt and what's in his heart regarding this decsion but the pragmatic side of me thinks there is certainly an element here to avoid Mike Gundy type negative PR and appear as a "progressive" to benefit recruiting.

Reactions: allvol123
I will only agree it's the right thing to do if we wear pink jerseys against Alabama. Otherwise, no.

VN Store

Back