Best & Worst Of Every Tennessee Head Coach

Dickey
Highpoint - 41-14 over bama in 1969
Lowpoint - 0-38 loss to Ole Miss in 1969 (Archie who?!?)

Battle
High Point - 24-0 over bama in 1970
Low Point - Losing 14-21 to N Texas in 1975
Majors
Highpoint - Miami 1985 Sugar Bowl
Low point - Arkansas lost 24-25 1992 (this is worse than it looks...Arkansas was WINLESS, had lost to The Citidel, and it was in Neyland...AND it cost us a trip to the first ever SECCG!)

Fulmer
Highpoint - 1995 41-14 buttwhipping of bama (with a nod to 1998 Fiesta Bowl)
Lowpoint - Wyoming 2008 (mostly Hamilton's fault though)

Kiffin
Highpoint - Georgia 2009
Low point - Ole Miss 2009

Dooley
Highpoint - Cincinnati 2011
Low point - Kentucky 2011

Butch
Highpoint - Florida 2016
Low point - Vandy 2016

Pruitt
Highpoint - Auburn 2018
Low point - GA State 2019

Majors
Low point - USCe 1992

Fulmer
Highpoint - FSU 1998 BCS Title Game
Lowpoint - Vandy 2005

Kiffin
Highpoint - Georgia 2009

Dooley
Highpoint - NC State 2012

Butch
Highpoint - Florida 2016
Low point - Vandy 2016

Pruitt
Highpoint - Auburn 2018

I would say Wyoming for Fulmer

Reactions: MAD
Keeping it as a coach I assume, but at the time the Vandy loss was more embarrassing than Wyoming in my opinion. Because Fulmer already knew it was over at that point

The team quit when Fulmer was fired a reaction that should have been anticipated by the administration and the fans. Fulmer for all his faults was well liked by most players. Which in the mind of some ignorant fans was a bad thing.

The Wyoming loss rests solely onnthe shoulders of the administration and the Legions of the Miserable.

Reactions: BanditVol and MAD
One of Dooley’s low points had to be the 2012 loss to Missouri in Quadruple Over-time.

Tennessee (At Home) had the ball near mid-field with about 1:50 to go in the 4th Quarter — And Dooley chooses to “down-the ball”(!??!!!!!!) and play for Over-time….

No guts - No glory! A prominent theme under his leadership…..

One of Dooley’s low points had to be the 2012 loss to Missouri in Quadruple Over-time.

Tennessee (At Home) had the ball near mid-field with about 1:50 to go in the 4th Quarter — And Dooley chooses to “down-the ball”(!??!!!!!!) and play for Over-time….

No guts - No glory! A prominent theme under his leadership…..

That was ugly, but nothing can top breaking a historic win streak (28 I think?) to a 3-8 UK team starting a converted WR as its 3rd string QB.

At the time of the Mizzou loss, Dooley was already a dead man walking and everyone knew it.

Honestly he was pretty much gone after the UK loss in 2011, but for finanical reasons they gave him another season. And if not for the historically bad hire of Sunseri as DC, we might have had to put up with Dooley another couple of years. Our offense was amazingly good in 2012, our defense amazingly bad.

I forgot to do Heupel

High Point...Florida 2022 (so far!)
Low Point...uga 2021 (could make a case for Florida 2021 in retrospect, but we did start Milton in that one)

Fulmer's loss to Memphis was absolute garbage. 1996 team was too talented to drop a game like that.

it was aided and abetted by a bad call. Memphis scored kind of late on a KO return in which the player should have been called down but wasn't. Our team stopped playing (which they should not have..."play to the whistle"), and that ended up being the difference.

That was pre-replay...the return would have been called back nowadays.

it was aided and abetted by a bad call. Memphis scored kind of late on a KO return in which the player should have been called down but wasn't. Our team stopped playing (which they should not have..."play to the whistle"), and that ended up being the difference.

That was pre-replay...the return would have been called back nowadays.

Oh yeah I remember. The game shouldn't have came down to that though.

Idk. That game was after he was told he was being forced out. It was a bad loss but it was kind of inconsequential at the time. The coach and the team were completely distracted. More evidence that Mike Hamilton was probably the most incompetent AD to ever be in charge at Tennessee.

Exactly...that loss is completely on him.

He did the same thing with the Pearl firing. Fired him right before the NCAA Tourney and the team went out with a listless first round game.

It's as if Hamilton was afraid that if the coach won one more game, he would be harder to fire. **** the fans wanting to win in spite of a coaching change, they don't matter.

Hamiltion in addition to being a terrible AD was gutless as well. Not even strong enough to properly fire a coach in a way so as to ease the transition.

I agree on Miami w/ Majors, but you could also say for Majors it was snapping the Bama streak at the top and Rutgers loss....you could do Majors on back to back weeks in 1979...loss to Rutgers and crush Notre Dame. For Butch there are so many to choose from...OK loss at Neyland was gut wrenching and so many self inflicted losses. In hind sight, not sure there was an apex for Pruitt.

The Rutgers loss was bad, but they did go 8-3 that season so it was a rare good season for them. To me, that kind of moves it out of the 'worst' category.

Oh yeah I remember. The game shouldn't have came down to that though.

Very true. Every team seems to have a game like that every now and then though.

Having said that, so far Heupel has not (crossing my fingers so that I don't jinx it :p)

Majors
Low point - USCe 1992

Fulmer
Highpoint - FSU 1998 BCS Title Game
Lowpoint - Vandy 2005

Kiffin
Highpoint - Georgia 2009

Dooley
Highpoint - NC State 2012

Butch
Highpoint - Florida 2016
Low point - Vandy 2016

Pruitt
Highpoint - Auburn 2018
For Fulmer, losing to Wyoming while he was a lame duck was pretty bad.

Doug Dickey’s high point and Bill Battles’ high point was the same game for UT-1970 Florida v Tennessee. Vols kicked some Gator butt after that trader, Doug Dickey, left UT to coach Florida. We beat the crap out of them in one of the loudest, rowdiest, crowds in Neyland.

VN Store

Back