Highpoint - NC State 2012
Low point - Kentucky 2011

Butch
Highpoint - Florida 2016
Low point - Vandy 2016

Pruitt
Highpoint - Auburn 2018
Low point - GA State 2019

Good list, I agree with most of this. I would probably say Army in ‘86 was Majors low point, but it could be USC, that game was brutal.

I would say Memphis for Fulmer.

Best for Dooley was his press conferences...

The Worst for Jones was the trash can...

Screen-Shot-2017-09-04-at-11.12.45-PM.png

Good list, I agree with most of this. I would probably say Army in ‘86 was Majors low point, but it could be USC, that game was brutal.

I would say Memphis for Fulmer.
These kind of lists are fun but always subjective.

1996 Memphis was really close to listing over 2005 Vandy.
Memphis was definitely a bigger upset IMHO, but didn't cost us as much. The Vandy loss ended a long win streak VS them and caused us to miss a bowl for the first time since 1988.

Memphis loss annoyed me more though as I live in Memphis. At the time Memphis State had a good basketball program the city was fiercely proud of. The football program was derisively referred to locally as Tiger High and had hardly experienced anything more than marginal success during it's history.
This entire stupid city went upside down celebrating and pretending Tiger High football had always meant something.

1986 Army may have been worse but it's hard for me to get a read on the sentiment of our fan base and the program then. I was only 9 years old in 1986 and hadn't really started following football yet. By 92 I was a die hard Vol Fan. I don't know that Majors could have kept his job, but I know that the USCe game cost us the East. It really didn't help that USCe's annoying mullet headed QB gave us bulletin board material and we still lost.

Last edited:

Memphis was definitely a bigger upset IMHO, but didn't cost us as much. The Vandy loss ended a long win streak VS them and caused us to miss a bowl for the first time since 1988.

Memphis loss annoyed me more though as I live in Memphis. At the time Memphis State had a good basketball program the city was fiercely proud of. The football program was derisively referred to locally as Tiger High and had hardly experienced anything more than marginal success during it's history.
This entire stupid city went upside down celebrating and pretending Tiger High football had always meant something.

1986 Army may have been worse but it's hard for me to get a read on the sentiment of our fan base and the program then. I was only 9 years old in 1986 and hadn't really started following football yet. By 92 I was a die hard Vol Fan. I don't know that Majors could have kept his job, but I know that the USCe game cost us the East. It really didn't help that USCe's annoying mullet headed QB gave us bulletin board material and we still lost.
Fulmer's low point 2008 Wyoming

Battle high point - 1970 Florida game (pounded Florida and Doug Dickey 38-7
Battle low point- Duke 1976 lost the opener in a must win season loaded with great players. You knew the end was near when they couldnt beat Duke.

Dickey high point- 1967 win over Bear with Dickey playing his 3rd team QB
Dickey low point - (on field only) Ole Miss 1969 #2 or 3 in the country losing to 3 loss Ole Miss 38-0 in the infamous Archie Who game.

Yeah, I am from Memphis, that is why that game is the low point for me. I always said, the day Tiger High beat the Vols is the day I move away. Fortunately, I had already left Memphis 3 years earlier. I was actually visiting family in Memphis that week, but did not stay for the weekend to go to the game. Guess I had a premonition.

And one of my best friends is a Vandy alum/fan, and very arrogant, so that '05 game has always stuck out for me as well.

Fulmer's low point 2008 Wyoming
Idk. That game was after he was told he was being forced out. It was a bad loss but it was kind of inconsequential at the time. The coach and the team were completely distracted. More evidence that Mike Hamilton was probably the most incompetent AD to ever be in charge at Tennessee.

I lived in Memphis at the time. The Memphis loss - with Peyton Manning as QB - was a disaster. It contributed to the talk of Peyton not being Heisman winner the next year. The truth is....the Memphis team in '96 had NFL defensive talent in lots of places with so many landing there from JUCO. The talent level was unexpected by UT. Aside from that, the punt return for a TD by Memphis would have been overturned in the modern era with instant replay.

Yeah really hard to pinpoint for me Majors or Fulmer’s low point. In my opinion the low points for majors and fulmer occurred when the program was at its height as the losses cost us competing for a national championship or a good bowl. The 90 bama game for majors and the 96 Memphis or 01 Sec champ for fulmer would get my vote.

Fulmer's loss to Memphis was absolute garbage. 1996 team was too talented to drop a game like that.

Reactions: MAD
Majors
Highpoint - Miami 1985 Sugar Bowl
Low point - USCe 1992

Fulmer
Highpoint - FSU 1998 BCS Title Game
Lowpoint - Vandy 2005

Kiffin
Highpoint - Georgia 2009
Low point - Ole Miss 2009

Dooley
Highpoint - NC State 2012
Low point - Kentucky 2011

Butch
Highpoint - Florida 2016
Low point - Vandy 2016

Pruitt
Highpoint - Auburn 2018
Low point - GA State 2019
I agree on Miami w/ Majors, but you could also say for Majors it was snapping the Bama streak at the top and Rutgers loss....you could do Majors on back to back weeks in 1979...loss to Rutgers and crush Notre Dame. For Butch there are so many to choose from...OK loss at Neyland was gut wrenching and so many self inflicted losses. In hind sight, not sure there was an apex for Pruitt.

Ones that come to mind right away.

Dickey
High Point: 67 and 69 SEC Rings
Low Point: 68 Orange Bowl

Battle
High Point 1970 Alabama 24-0
Low Point; Moving Van sent to house

Majors
High Point: Sugar 85 and Notre Dame 1991
Low Point : 1992 Arkansas

Fulmer
Highpoint - 1999 BCS Title Game