Votes: 10 3.4%
  • Robert Meachum

Votes: 16 5.5%
  • Peerless Price

Votes: 80 27.3%
  • Larry Seivers

Votes: 16 5.5%

• Total voters
I voted Pickens. He was better than any WR on our team, as well as gators or any other SEC foes receivers as well...he even played both ways :"ironman" style at times when we needed him back there on defense.

Pretty sure he did best in the NFL as well. He was a Pro Bowl WR several years even though he played for the lowly Bengals which have sucked since Enoch was still walking around in OT...

Anthony Miller was possibly the most talented WR ever. Unfortunately just a 2-year JUCO that missed half of his senior season with an injury. Great combination of hands and speed. And tough as nails. Like so many others he only had average-at-best QBs to hum the tater in his direction.

I’ll add Buddy Cruze for nostalgia. And Richmond Flowers.
Miller is my choice. Played one year of HS ball. Went to JC on track scholarship and one year of football in JC. Led Tennessee in receiving his first year and Majors built his offense around him next year which did not turn out well when injured the first game and played in less than half the games. Still drafted 15th overall. All pro 5 years.

Reactions: gnm53108
Played on three mediocre teams and is remembered for two good catches against an average Clemson team. He was pedestrian compared to other UT WRs

That seems a bit dismissive for a guy that earned 2X AA. If anything pointing out he played on mediocre teams should only make that feat more impressive.

Now having said that I'd have to go Pickens.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
That seems a bit dismissive for a guy that earned 2X AA. If anything pointing out he played on mediocre teams should only make that feat more impressive.

Now having said that I'd have to go Pickens.
Receivers[edit]
Yea lots of elite players here, All American teams in the 50s thru 70s had tons of these type players and why average players used to win the Heisman a lot....

Steve Largent was the best WR here by far.

Seviers is one of the top 30-40 WR in UT history but his "legend" is literally based on a couple of great catches vs Clemson and the only TD that was scored in a bowl game. He disappeared in the "big" games.

He has as many or less TDs in his career as:
Ethan Wolf
Derrick Tinsley
Von Pearson
Josh Briscoe
Ken DeLong
Zach Rogers
DaRick Rogers
Chris Hannon

If DaRick Rogers hadn’t been a head case, he might have ended up as our best wr by the numbers. His one full season he put up monster numbers and that was no help. Hunter had already gone down and DaRick carried us in many games.

When I was a kid, Larry Seivers was the ultimate "across-the-middle" wide-receiver. He would go up, stretch out or whatever it took. I was at the Univ of Memphis game in Memphis his senior season. He went up (way up) to get a pass and his feet were knocked out from underneath him. He landed straight down on his head and was quite frankly never the same.

Receivers[edit]
Yea lots of elite players here, All American teams in the 50s thru 70s had tons of these type players and why average players used to win the Heisman a lot....

Steve Largent was the best WR here by far.

Seviers is one of the top 30-40 WR in UT history but his "legend" is literally based on a couple of great catches vs Clemson and the only TD that was scored in a bowl game. He disappeared in the "big" games.

He has as many or less TDs in his career as:
Ethan Wolf
Derrick Tinsley
Von Pearson
Josh Briscoe
Ken DeLong
Zach Rogers
DaRick Rogers
Chris Hannon

I think we need some context up in here. In the two years Seivers was AA UT completed 182 passes for 15tds...that's it. RB/TE/WR, the lot. Seivers accounted for half of the receptions and yardage as well as 6 of those 15tds. Hell, in '76 Seivers had 51 receptions and the closest player on the team had 14.

Reactions: peaygolf
I think we need some context up in here. In the two years Seivers was AA UT completed 182 passes for 15tds...that's it. RB/TE/WR, the lot. Seivers accounted for half of the receptions and yardage as well as 6 of those 15tds. Hell, in '76 Seivers had 51 receptions and the closest player on the team had 14.
That’s cuz Battle ran that darned wishbone those two years. With his best WR in the backfield. Seivers was larger, more physical and much better hands than anyone covering him. That led to a lot of impressive looking catches. Speed and separation were not part of his talent. That’s why he never made it out of an NFL training camp.

VN Store

Back