Should The Vols be ranked #1 tomorrow?

• Yes : It’s a prestige that is earned/remembered

• Yes : but I don’t like it

• No : Because I’m superstitious

• No : They need to stay hungry

• I’m on the fence : Sway me

• No : I’m a Tennessee FB fan /Duke BB fan

Results are only viewable after voting.
#1 might add a little pressure in the near term, but that's good. After they are knocked out of the #1 spot that should help keep them stay focused for the stretch run. Plus it really helps in the long run. Not just recruiting and prestige, but it will take that pressure off of future teams when they're ranked #1.

We will always remember this team as a special team that hit #1 in the rankings. Sure, there are no mid season championships, but it’s an accomplishment Barnes and UT can use to attract more talent. If we play well, we could hold onto it for a week or two. I say enjoy it while it lasts, these boys have earned it

If we are #1, how ironic is it that we will be playing Vanderbilt again our next game, just like in 2008?

7Jr.gif

I hope pre #1 Tn dont show up after post #1 , if they do they wont be #1 for long. I like them better at #3 and chasing #1. They got to refocus and Schofield needs to find himself again. I dont know if his last 2 games where he was in foul trouble was messing with him or what. GBO

I would think playing with the #1 target on our back will only help us when we are a high ranked (hopefully #1) seed in the tournament. Pressure is good this time of the year. Even Barnes acknowledged the importance of having a game like today to remind the team to stay focused and finish strong.

I hope their players think this way too. We have a bad game and suddenly that means we aren’t impressive 😂

Attachments

• AAC2E1A7-CF52-4EB8-BDF3-C78950661FE7.png
    AAC2E1A7-CF52-4EB8-BDF3-C78950661FE7.png
    514 KB · Views: 117
Why would any fan be scared of possibly being #1 by tomorrow?

It’s great publicity for recruiting and gives our guys motivation moving forward.

Barnes isn’t the type of coach who’ll let his players slack off just because they’re highly ranked.

It’s the SEC. Every game can’t be taken for granted because teams can have a great shooting night.

We’ll have to tighten up our defense, especially since UK and Auburn is coming up soon.

Winner of Duke And Virginia will be #1. Even with the home loss to Syracuse
People need to prepare themselves for this possibility. Duke has 5 Top 25 wins and we have 1 (Gonzaga). Our Louisville win will be two T25 wins since UL should crack the rankings this week, but they aren't there while voters deliberate today.

Otoh, "Duke/Coach K fatigue' is a real thing and could help put us over the top - almost surely in the coach's poll.

Hmmm. Duke loses to the Zags, we beat the Zags. They have two losses, we have one. A home court loss to rhe unranked cuse and a two point home victory to a ranked team should not equal no 1.

People need to prepare themselves for this possibility. Duke has 5 Top 25 wins and we have 1 (Gonzaga). Our Louisville win will be two T25 wins since UL should crack the rankings this week, but they aren't there while voters deliberate today.

Otoh, "Duke/Coach K fatigue' is a real thing and could help put us over the top - almost surely in the coach's poll.

Loss to unranked on home court should trump all you mentioned. UT's only loss is to Kansas in OT on neutral. I really don't care but it does put your name up there for branding but you cant just do it for one week like Bruce's team. If short stayhappens only one that remembers is Vol fans and only about 20% of them.

Duke has lost two with a loss to unranked Syracuse. Our only loss was to #1 Kansas at the time.

Duke vs. Tennessee is the game everyone who follows college basketball wants to see. Commentators have been talking about it since early December. We'll be #1 and #2 tomorrow. Let's hope we get to see that matchup this year....in the Final 4.

I think with us squeaking by Bama at home, and Duke beating UVA in a national prime time show, and Dickie V personally calling every voter to cast their vote for Duke, they will be #1 and us #2.

Duke has lost two with a loss to unranked Syracuse. Our only loss was to #1 Kansas at the time.
VA griped long and loud because we were ranked ahead of them in the AP - they were undefeated while we had a loss (to a fading KU). The difference of one loss didn't factor there.

Again, Dookie's 5 T25 wins can't be discounted. The writers poll traditionally favors them so I only point out the possibility that we may not be a lock to replace them. I'll be pissed if we don't, but I won't be blind-sided by it if it happens.

Reactions: Johnnyreb#VFL
I’m
I think with us squeaking by Bama at home, and Duke beating UVA in a national prime time show, and Dickie V personally calling every voter to cast their vote for Duke, they will be #1 and us #2.

Duke has one bad loss to unranked Syracuse.

We don’t have any.

I went through the twitter profiles of the AP voters and browsed their tweets. Don't ask how much free time I had this morning.

Vols will be #1, as they only needed to swing 13 new #1 votes from Duke voters and I counted that many +. I expect we will end up with about 33 first place votes.

Also, a #1 ranking at any point in the season constitutes an amazing achievement. Anyone not enjoying what we're experiencing this season needs to quit watching sports.

I don’t understand some Tennessee fans. they always have to throw negativity into something positive
It's his opinion. Some say we will be #1, some say best not to be #1. Personally I am sure we will be....might be...could be....I dunno....#1.

“Petty” will forever be remembered as the “Clint Stoerner” walk!

Great way to remember Alabama choking!

Go #1 Vols! #1 Seed, Final Four Baby!

I went through the twitter profiles of the AP voters and browsed their tweets. Don't ask how much free time I had this morning.

Vols will be #1, as they only needed to swing 13 new #1 votes from Duke voters and I counted that many +. I expect we will end up with about 33 first place votes.

Also, a #1 ranking at any point in the season constitutes an amazing achievement. Anyone not enjoying what we're experiencing this season needs to quit watching sports.
AMEN! Blows my mind to understand why anybody wouldn't want to be ranked #1. That's what you play for. Yes, basketball is a tournament sport but to say you were ranked #1 is an achievement few players get to experience in their careers unless they play for one of the blue blood teams.

VN Store

Back