• Yes : It’s a prestige that is earned/remembered

• Yes : but I don’t like it

• No : Because I’m superstitious

• No : They need to stay hungry

• I’m on the fence : Sway me

• No : I’m a Tennessee FB fan /Duke BB fan

Results are only viewable after voting.
Don’t underestimate the Duke fan boys in the media to keep them #1
Last night ESPN showed the resumes of all the contenders for #1. All were 4-1 against the current top 25 except us. We were 1-1. I just want an SEC tournament banner and a Final Four banner. If we're #1 now I'll enjoy the moment but I want the team to feel hungry.

Reactions: therealitytheory
Last night ESPN showed the resumes of all the contenders for #1. All were 4-1 against the current top 25 except us. We were 1-1. I just want an SEC tournament banner and a Final Four banner. If we're #1 now I'll enjoy the moment but I want the team to feel hungry.
I think both UVA and Duke are better than we are right now. But the AP poll is kind of worthless and we’re as deserving as any of them.

It will be hard to ignore that Duke lost on their home court to an unranked Syracuse that lost at home to Georgia Tech by 14 last Saturday. That same GT team just got drubbed today by Louisville by 28 points.

The same GT team that Tennessee beat by 13 in November.

We will be number 1 because we deserve it but the last time we were number 1 Vandy kicked our azz but after what happen in the second half maybe we will give them a good old fashion azz kicking.

I hope pre #1 Tn dont show up after post #1 , if they do they wont be #1 for long. I like them better at #3 and chasing #1. They got to refocus and Schofield needs to find himself again. I dont know if his last 2 games where he was in foul trouble was messing with him or what. GBO
Wouldn't "pre #1" and "#3 and chasing #1" be the same thing?

There will be some splitting regarding #1. CBS has us at #1, NET we are at 3 or 4, Coaches/AP at 3.
Can't wait. Duke and VA tough Defense but I could see why VA was 4th.

I watched the 11PM SportsCenter expecting to see some analysis of who's going to be #1. Instead it was a 10-15 minute opening love fest of Harden followed up with 5-10 minutes of Dook's "amazing" win versus #1 Va. Then they had some bizarre coverage of about half a dozen irrelevant games. I watched about an hour and didn't catch a single utterance of the word Tennessee. However the UT student wearing the taco costume made the opening montage.

Reactions: ttocswob
it just doesn't matter right now. it's cool to be #1 for fans....so i'll give it that. they've earned it and i don't have an issue with it. but Duke, UVA, Michigan, Us, Gonzaga, Mich State, KY, etc....could all make cases at given points in the season.

but as soon as we lose, we won't be #1....so the only thing that matters is where you are when it's all over....i know that goes w/out saying.

i do find it odd that the last time we hit #1, our next game as @ vandy. same thing this time around, assuming we do hit #1.

Reactions: lynnh

Louisville was 4 votes out of the AP and at the worst they'll take Indiana's spot at #25, so we'll have two T25 wins tomorrow.

The only possible adverse motivational effect IMO would be if it was late in the season and being #1 going into the NCAAT would put a huge target on TN. However, from the motivational angle, how about having #1, losing it with an almost certain loss later in the season, and then heading into the post season wanting to earn it back?

it just doesn't matter right now. it's cool to be #1 for fans....so i'll give it that. they've earned it and i don't have an issue with it. but Duke, UVA, Michigan, Us, Gonzaga, Mich State, KY, etc....could all make cases at given points in the season.

but as soon as we lose, we won't be #1....so the only thing that matters is where you are when it's all over....i know that goes w/out saying.

i do find it odd that the last time we hit #1, our next game as @ vandy. same thing this time around, assuming we do hit #1.

...but you remember the last time we hit #1. The more often the better the look.

...but you remember the last time we hit #1. The more often the better the look.
well, yeah, i do, i'm a TN fan. i'm not saying i'm against it or anything.

i just am not going to get hung up on it. the only thing that comes with being #1 from the media and other fans is enjoying you getting knocked off. lol.

there's no credit given for being #1 in Jan. i loved Grant Williams' take...."i came here to hang banners, not worry about where we're ranked in January".

all that said, i've gotta spend the week in Alabama this week for work. and i'm looking forward to having finally beaten them at something and with a #1 next to a TN team. :)

Reactions: bigdaddy
The only need for a basketball poll would be seeding in the NCAA. I am for anything that gets this team a #1 seed. If being the top team for a while helps that I am all for it, otherwise its a meaningless poll.

VN Store

Back