Beating Florida Comes Down To...

It's just nice to finally have some REAL game tape on them before we play them. Seems like the first time in a long time.

Meanwhile, we're playing an Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, or Oregon most years before the Florida game, giving them really good tape on us.

This flip-flop in card-showing could help immeasurably.

great point!

Reactions: OneVolNation
If you need to test our secondary to win the game, then you have no chance. Your best bet is running the ball.
You're right... allowing a true Fr with practically no OL and essentially one run play the whole game to throw for 63% and over 200 yds... was "great". If not for the INT's and the "should have been" INT's... it would have been worse.

JG is better than that Fr. UT's receivers are better than Miami's. If the OL protects... your secondary is going to be challenged.

Reactions: norrislakevol
Beating UF his year comes down to just one word, physicality. Other than Zuniga I did not see a single gator on their defense really show up consistently physical. Their LBs were downright taking hits rather than delivering them and their DBs looked like they were fragile. If our guys are physical and I suspect Pruitt is not going to field a second team under his watch that will wilt physically, we can have a lot of success against these guys this year. The hay is in the barn regarding conditioning for college teams at this point, but who brings it to who this year is going to be fun to watch. Head says UF does what they usually do to us, but everyone knows a duck can pull a truck. Heart says Pruitt works the gatas over this year at their house.

Reactions: VolinMC
Last night, Florida beat a very inexperienced OL and a FR QB, and still had to have Miami hand it to them to do that! Florida will most likely beat Tennessee down there, not something they haven't done many times over, but if the Gators think they are ready for the Clemsons and Alabamas of the world they'll be in for a rude awakening. They've got an idiot for a QB. Can you imagine what Jake Fromm and GA would've done to them last night? Tennessee won't win every game for sure, but hat Florida team I saw last night has four losses coming, you can take that to the bank! Kentucky could be their first.

You're right... allowing a true Fr with practically no OL and essentially one run play the whole game to throw for 63% and over 200 yds... was "great". If not for the INT's and the "should have been" INT's... it would have been worse.

JG is better than that Fr. UT's receivers are better than Miami's. If the OL protects... your secondary is going to be challenged.

It's week 0, and we don't have much on him. He did well in the first half, but adjustments were made and in the second half he averaged 3.5 yards per pass attempt. If you think it is a winning recipe, by all means go for it.

Dude, stop with the BS myth that Guarantano only ever holds the ball too long. There are times when it appears he does, but there are also times when he’s holding it to allow the play to develop/his receiver to get open. He took less than 2 sacks per game last year while playing behind the worst OL in college football....same one that allowed the least amount of time for him to throw than any other SEC school.

I’m watching last year’s Tennessee-Kentucky game and JG’s quick and efficient and getting the ball out on time.

Speaking of KY...we should get another good litmus test on the gators before we play ‘em...I think this, coupled with the Miami game, gives us an unusual amount of intel before we face them. This will help tremendously!

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I'm afraid you guys are hanging your hat on them sloppy in their first game, but at the end of the day they beat a rival on a big stage by making plays when they needed to. I feel worse, not better, about the direction of the Gators after tonight, tbh.
The U's kicker helped them a lot.

Reactions: volgrad500
If this Vols team lumbers into Gainesville, they may be beaten to a bloody pulp, Florida will hammer dat Ass, if the Vols don't bring it and come to play

He reminded me of a poorly coached JG, but worse.
Williams most certainly was not worse than JG’s first start or any of the games that JG started when he took over about halfway through the season. For a freshman’s first game I thought he did pretty well. You can see potential for sure.

It's week 0, and we don't have much on him. He did well in the first half, but adjustments were made and in the second half he averaged 3.5 yards per pass attempt. If you think it is a winning recipe, by all means go for it.
Thanks for once again demonstrating the arrogance that makes UF and their fans so easy to hate.

It is week "zero" and UT fans don't really know what they have. The "adjustments" were to hold and interfere apparently. Your DL started beating their OL up as well. Your secondary may be incredible... they just didn't look special in that game. They're going to play at least 7 or 8 QB's better than that one.

Dude, stop with the BS myth that Guarantano only ever holds the ball too long. There are times when it appears he does, but there are also times when he’s holding it to allow the play to develop/his receiver to get open. He took less than 2 sacks per game last year while playing behind the worst OL in college football....same one that allowed the least amount of time for him to throw than any other SEC school.

I’m watching last year’s Tennessee-Kentucky game and JG’s quick and efficient and getting the ball out on time.
Right... it is always someone else's fault 100% of the time.

He did hold the ball too long. The OL play wasn't good. Still there were a lot of sacks and hits when JG had plenty of times along with plays when he had no time at all. You claim you see his flaws... but then if someone mentions one you go nuts.

Reactions: ReelfootVol
Williams most certainly was not worse than JG’s first start or any of the games that JG started when he took over about halfway through the season. For a freshman’s first game I thought he did pretty well. You can see potential for sure.

Ummm....UF recorded about 20 sacks. His mental clock was atrocious.

Reactions: sjt18
Ummm....UF recorded about 20 sacks. His mental clock was atrocious.
Ummm....it was his first start and his left tackle couldn’t hold a block for more than a second. Yes, he held it too long at times but even with that and sometimes terrible blocking he went 19/30 for 214 and a TD. Not bad. We aren’t talking about a 5th year Sr here. He’s never taken a college snap before.

Reactions: Remy
Beating Florida comes down to UT. It's more about how many different ways they can find to lose to them. If they can keep from shooting theirselves in the foot multiple times and play fundamental football it can be a win.
For me,its just so frustrating losing to them knowing it's more beating themselves than Florida beating them.
Yes,I know our Vols won once this decade but looking at the big picture it seems we just have a mental block,bad luck or something going on. That's why I hate Florida more than anyone else.

Whether or not Pruitt is the coach for us. Going 0-2 against fla will put him in a massive hole. It's a must win for him. I'm thinking we are going to get boat raced. But hope I'm wrong. Go vols.

Got to block them. Jailbreaks to the QB lead to bad things.. Their Dline is the strength of their team. I wouldn't take much from that game the other night other than first game sloppiness, and Franks is still kind of liability at times. He'll play like Joe Montana against us more than likely..

Execution on offense defense and ST period!!! We win the LOS we likely win if all else goes right. For TN to win this game they gotta come out the blocks firing on all cylinders....a quick 7 or 14-0 hole we might be screwed...

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Rewatching the FL-MIA game I would say 5 of these sacks are on the Miami QB for not having pocket presence.. just saying

Wasn't Florida missing a lot in their secondary? Their front looks scary. Offense, not so much

Whether or not Pruitt is the coach for us. Going 0-2 against fla will put him in a massive hole. It's a must win for him. I'm thinking we are going to get boat raced. But hope I'm wrong. Go vols.
It's definitely not a must win, but would be a big win for CJP. Vanderbilt is the closest thing he'll have to a must win this season.

Our young, inexperienced OL vs their experienced vet DL.
Sept in the swamp is always a factor against us.
Our best players are mostly true Fr & Sophs.

VN Store

Back