Basilio blog today

So it looks like Basilio reads through the threads on VolNation. Well done sir!

I have a feeling that most sports reporters are no more in the know than the average poster on VN - they just talk better and are decent self promoters, so people buy their speculation. Look at even the more established types like John Adams - News Sentinel - a guy who has made a career of being a poop stirrer and not much else.

But by whom and why? Any spec there?

I don't remember exactly... seems like the Donnie Tyndall hire, the Title IX mess, being too supportive of Dooley, and the awkward handling of the Lady Vols brand weighed heavily. He's made a lot of enemies. Maybe DeerPark will chime in... I think that he's pretty fond of Dave Hart.

There are plenty of coaches that are great OC/DC but not good at being a HC. Just look at Kiffin, he's a quarterback whisperer but hasn't exactly torn it up as a HC.

Last edited:
How good has Oregons offense been post Mariota and Chip Kelly?
How much of the offense did he actually run while Chip was there?

He at least knows and understands the offense CK ran so with a player like JG running it and competent linemen, it would be productive. Id love to see what he could have done with Dobbs and Kamara.

Tee Martin will be the Head Coach at Tennessee before Helfrich lands in Knoxville.

Not saying you're wrong, but why do you think it's so absurd that Helfrich would come to Tennessee? Just curious. :hi:

Not saying you're wrong, but why do you think it's so absurd that Helfrich would come to Tennessee? Just curious. :hi:

In 20 years of coaching, he's worked at 3 Pac-12 schools and Boise. Basilio also thought Chris Petersen was coming to UT.

I listen to Basilio daily and yes hes crazy and doesn't take himself to seriously but over the years he has been out front on a lot of TN news and been right. He said last year that Hart would be gone after this year. I get that he doesn't appeal to everyone and he drives me crazy at times but he loves TN and after 20+ years in the market, he does have good sources.

Reactions: 1 person
The Tony Basilio Show

I've heard DeBord is either going to retire or take a job in Football Operations and Mark Helfrich is coming in to be OC. I've heard Willie Martinez is out and Bob Shoop will be the one to name his replacement. I've also heard a strength and conditioning coach could be coming in from the NFL ranks. Now, like I said, do not take that as the gospel because this is a fluid situation and I can't confirm these moves. I will say, I didn't hear this from just some Joe Blow off of the street.

No idea if any of this is true just found it interesting

Sounds about rt to be honest

In 20 years of coaching, he's worked at 3 Pac-12 schools and Boise. Basilio also thought Chris Petersen was coming to UT.

For clarification (again). Basilio, himself, did not say he was coming. This was the Vol Colonel post on the Basilio site.

Yeah, Left Coast guy all the way.

So what does he do now? Wait on Chip to come back to the college ranks, knowing he has a job as his OC? Take a HC job at a smaller school? Take a year off? Wait on a call from a HC who needs an OC who knows the Kelly style offense?

What if that HC is east of the Mississippi? If the money's right, would a change of scenery be acceptable?

Personally, I don't see Helfrich in Knoxville, but had you told me that Nick Saban would hire Lane Kiffin as his OC, I would have told you to call your local gas company, because you obviously had a bad leak in your basement.

So...we'll see.

Go Vols.

The Tony Basilio Show

I've heard DeBord is either going to retire or take a job in Football Operations and Mark Helfrich is coming in to be OC. I've heard Willie Martinez is out and Bob Shoop will be the one to name his replacement. I've also heard a strength and conditioning coach could be coming in from the NFL ranks. Now, like I said, do not take that as the gospel because this is a fluid situation and I can't confirm these moves. I will say, I didn't hear this from just some Joe Blow off of the street.

^ This comprises my complete Santa Claus list.

Pretty sure Tony know more than 99.9% of the posters on this site. Good moves IMO hopefully we can make something like that come together. Martinez or whoever is responsible for our DB's should be fired. Not one was fundamentally sound and Cam Sutton regressed since His freshman year.

Reactions: 1 person
The Tony Basilio Show

The road to Helfrich is paved with Butch intentions!

Helfrich would be great here as an OC and a disaster to takeover as head coach. He's already proven he can't hang in a weaker conference. He's suddenly going to figure it all out in the SEC as a head coach? I don't buy it.

You talking about Helfrich or Kiffin?

My main questions regarding Helfrich are:

Which offense will he run, Butch's or his own?

Will he be bring in some of his own coaches with him?

If Butch lets him run his own offense and bring some of his guys with him then I applaud Butch for trying to do whatever it takes to win.

Otherwise, we could be looking at another Tony Franklin/Tommy Tuberville scenario. Franklin came into Auburn alone without support from the current offensive staff and wasn't allowed to run his full offense .

It will be Butchs offense but Helfrich would be in charge of designing plays for the system. This is how CF works. At Alabama, its Saban's system. Whatever OF he has is responsible for drawing up plays that fit the scheme he wants.

Pretty sure Tony know more than 99.9% of the posters on this site. Good moves IMO hopefully we can make something like that come together. Martinez or whoever is responsible for our DB's should be fired. Not one was fundamentally sound and Cam Sutton regressed since His freshman year.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Not so fast my friend. It is well established that VN is chock full of top notch college football experts that trump absolutely anyone in the country. Here at VN, we are the best talent evaluators and coaches in the entire country.

Thats why so many on here are on the staff of all the big time D1 schools.

VN Store

Back