Basilio blog today

Basilio takes the stance that Hart was forced to retire. That's his "opinion".

And on that, he is correct. Of course, his information on that comes from John Brice, just like the Helfrich story, so there's a lot of truth to it.

Tony's M.O. has become taking (or his "sources" taking) info from paid sites and "reporting" it on his show and blog as his rumors from people "close to the program." Since most of his listeners don't subscribe to VQ or 247, they think he actually has sources.

Tee Martin will be the Head Coach at Tennessee before Helfrich lands in Knoxville.

Wanna bet?

Reactions: 3 people
And on that, he is correct. Of course, his information on that comes from John Brice, just like the Helfrich story, so there's a lot of truth to it.

Tony's M.O. has become taking (or his "sources" taking) info from paid sites and "reporting" it on his show and blog as his rumors from people "close to the program." Since most of his listeners don't subscribe to VQ or 247, they think he actually has sources.

Wanna bet?

So are we to believe that Helfrich is a real, legit possibility?

So are we to believe that Helfrich is a real, legit possibility?

Yes, I mentioned that earlier today. It has also been reported by 247 and VQ, so I'm not exactly breaking news here.

I think it's less than a 50-50 chance, but there is a legitimate chance. As I said earlier in this thread, now is not a good time to not have an athletic director in place that can approve major contracts for assistant coaches. He has interest from plenty of schools, as you would expect.

Yes, I mentioned that earlier today. It has also been reported by 247 and VQ, so I'm not exactly breaking news here.

I think it's less than a 50-50 chance, but there is a legitimate chance. As I said earlier in this thread, now is not a good time to not have an athletic director in place that can approve major contracts for assistant coaches. He has interest from plenty of schools, as you would expect.

How are we even negotiating with him if we can't even get an offer approved?

The road to Helfrich is paved with Butch intentions!

Butch brings him in, my faith is restored... Tbh, should've never lost Higgins. I teach and coach in SC and used to do the same in GA. All of our top athletes wanted to go to either UGA, GA southern, and now all I hear is Clemson and USC from my current student athletes. Butch should've never lost Higgins and does he really deserve so much praise for Trey Smith wanting to stay local? Bring in quality OC and faith restored. So far Bebord and Shoop have both been steps backwards imo

Reactions: 1 person

Wanna bet?
Uh, for the gazzillionth time. TB didn't write this. Didn't claim to write it. Actually found the Helfrich thing hard to believe given Butch's thumb on the offense. In no way was it presented as Tony 'reporting' on it.
Tony absolutely has sources apart from Brice.

Reactions: 2 people
The Tony Basilio Show

I've heard DeBord is either going to retire or take a job in Football Operations and Mark Helfrich is coming in to be OC. I've heard Willie Martinez is out and Bob Shoop will be the one to name his replacement. I've also heard a strength and conditioning coach could be coming in from the NFL ranks. Now, like I said, do not take that as the gospel because this is a fluid situation and I can't confirm these moves. I will say, I didn't hear this from just some Joe Blow off of the street.

No idea if any of this is true just found it interesting

Basilio obviously regurgitates what he reads on Volnation.

I can't find anything online about interviews or mutual interests

Deerpark is reliable. It sounds like Helfrich is listening but I highly doubt we get any further than that, especially with no AD. Would love to be wrong. We have some attractive players for an OC to work with, though.

My main questions regarding Helfrich are:

Which offense will he run, Butch's or his own?

Will he be bring in some of his own coaches with him?

If Butch lets him run his own offense and bring some of his guys with him then I applaud Butch for trying to do whatever it takes to win.

Otherwise, we could be looking at another Tony Franklin/Tommy Tuberville scenario. Franklin came into Auburn alone without support from the current offensive staff and wasn't allowed to run his full offense .

Offense was not our main problem. Give me more defensive changes first.

Uh, for the gazzillionth time. TB didn't write this. Didn't claim to write it. Actually found the Helfrich thing hard to believe given Butch's thumb on the offense. In no way was it presented as Tony 'reporting' on it.
Tony absolutely has sources apart from Brice.

I know that, we all know that, anybody that read it saw that. I was speaking in general terms on the way Tony operates.

His sources are the message boards, period. If you don't understand that, I don't know how to help you, because it's a fact. He is not connected at all. During the search that ended with Butch Jones being our head coach, people in the athletic department fed him fake information because they found it amusing when he reported it.

Reactions: 5 people
How are we even negotiating with him if we can't even get an offer approved?

There are ways to get an offer approved, but to get an offer the size of what he would have to think approved, someone in the upper administration would have to step in. Ultimately, if Butch pushed that, you could get it done. It is just much more difficult than it would be with an athletic director that could say yes or no with one phone call.

There are ways to get an offer approved, but to get an offer the size of what he would have to think approved, someone in the upper administration would have to step in. Ultimately, if Butch pushed that, you could get it done. It is just much more difficult than it would be with an athletic director that could say yes or no with one phone call.

I appreciate your info man, not sure I've told you before, but I enjoy reading it.

I know that, we all know that, anybody that read it saw that. I was speaking in general terms on the way Tony operates.

His sources are the message boards, period. If you don't understand that, I don't know how to help you, because it's a fact. He is not connected at all. During the search that ended with Butch Jones being our head coach, people in the athletic department fed him fake information because they found it amusing when he reported it.

:eek:lol:

This is the funniest thing I've heard in years. It's been obvious that the Administration considered Basilio a "punk and a clown" (TB's words not mine) but to hear that they just mess with him for fun is hilarious.

DP, I do appreciate your insights, especially this one.:rock:

And Tony B is a damned fool. He gets his material from this and other sites.

Wrong. I mean I understand it's trendy on here to throw shade at Basilio but the reality is he's well informed about pretty much everything outside of recruiting before any insider on here ever gets a sniff. He's more interested and in the know about University related decisions. Recruiting isn't worth his time seeing how no matter how much insider information you think you have, it's still boils down to 17/18 year old kids making the decision.

Just reporting the facts. :hi:

Notes from John Brice: David Blackburn may be all but a lock to be named AD once a contract is finalized. Could be before Christmas, definitely before the end of the year. Rock Gullickson is expected to take over as the director of strength and conditioning. As is, the rest of the S&C staff will remain in place. He'll be replacing Lawson in his vacant position. The Helfrich talk is real. Very real. Some thought that it gets done. Vols may also add Brady Hoke as DL coach and are after Terry Fair as secondary coach.

Buddy of mine sent me this. no idea if it is legit

I enjoy Basilio. Yes a lot of his show is hyperbole, which makes for good radio entertainment. However at least he's not afraid to speak the truth and he pulls no punches. His outspoken feelings towards Rick Barnes and his lack of recruiting effort is spot on. He seems to be the only person on radio calling Barnes out for the horrible job he's been doing with recruiting. Also, his 5th quarter post-game shows are classic and honestly, good therapy when we lose.

I think if you throw enough crap on the wall, eventually some of it will stick. Basilio is a freaking joke and about the worst at providing reliable information from what I can piece together.

It's sad that you've let VolNation make your mind up for how you feel about someone. Just another mindless drone following the pack. Do yourself a favor and actually have an opinion of your own.

Notes from John Brice: David Blackburn may be all but a lock to be named AD once a contract is finalized. Could be before Christmas, definitely before the end of the year. Rock Gullickson is expected to take over as the director of strength and conditioning. As is, the rest of the S&C staff will remain in place. He'll be replacing Lawson in his vacant position. The Helfrich talk is real. Very real. Some thought that it gets done. Vols may also add Brady Hoke as DL coach and are after Terry Fair as secondary coach.

I think I could get on board with that staff

That would be amazing! Thanks for posting this.

I enjoy Basilio. Yes a lot of his show is hyperbole, which makes for good radio entertainment. However at least he's not afraid to speak the truth and he pulls no punches. His outspoken feelings towards Rick Barnes and his lack of recruiting effort is spot on. He seems to be the only person on radio calling Barnes out for the horrible job he's been doing with recruiting. Also, his 5th quarter post-game shows are classic and honestly, good therapy when we lose.

Well he's wrong about CRB's recruiting. He has recruited some solid players. Have you watched the team play this year?

The Tony Basilio Show

I've heard DeBord is either going to retire or take a job in Football Operations and Mark Helfrich is coming in to be OC. I've heard Willie Martinez is out and Bob Shoop will be the one to name his replacement. I've also heard a strength and conditioning coach could be coming in from the NFL ranks. Now, like I said, do not take that as the gospel because this is a fluid situation and I can't confirm these moves. I will say, I didn't hear this from just some Joe Blow off of the street.

No idea if any of this is true just found it interesting

Meh

Except for the fact that his group of freshmen that he recruited are looking like stars in the making so far.

Why is he not lighting the recruiting world on fire for next year? Because UT had two scholarships to give. He signed a 4-star for one of those spots and left the other open for Stokes, who signed with Florida at the end of the early signing period.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back