Barnes said he would be at UCLA if buyout was paid

Only one team wins the tourney. I mentioned that if you read my post. We played in the SECT Championship game the past two seasons. When was the last time that happened? This team fell short on many goals. Does that make the entire season a failure? Sure it does, if you’re a myopic idiot. You only have a point if you follow the team solely in March. And even then it is not a good point.

This same person would be thrilled if the football team wins 8 or 9 games this season. They say what they want, but only when it’s convenient for them.

Reactions: cncchris33
Its also alarming that folks are only taking the snippets fed to them via Twitter as opposed to listening to the entire presser/convo. Get the whole story, not just what the writers or talking heads put out there for you to gobble up without fully informing yourselves.
Most comments will sound less blunt when heard in their full context than when read from a Twitter account.

Reactions: WhiteMike
UCLA is Barnes dream job. What is your dream? He was offered an opportunity to obtain his dream job. UTK was smart enough to have a big buyout to keep teams from poaching him. That is why you have big buyouts. Buyout have hurt us in the past. This one helped us. I am glad we have a coach someone wants. They just did not want him enough to pay us $5 mil.

How does that change anything? He didn’t get his prom queen so he took his only option.
So we’re the sister that gets to go to the prom with her brother because he got turned down by the other chicks? C’mon man this Knoxville not Tuscaloosa!
GBO!!

I think it depends on the coach and how confident they are in their ability to recruit, coach, develop etc. Some coaches wouldn't like the idea of following behind a Saban. You could forever be in the previous coach's shadow. Me personally I like the idea of being the person that made (insert program) what it is today.

For every Rick Byrd you have 20 coaches that would leave for a chance to win something you cant at Belmont. So yes, not all coaches are the same but I would take a Rick Byrd type and say hes the exception to the rule.

It doesn't matter to me one way or the other unless he tanks here because UCLA wouldn't cover his exit check. I don't think anyone believes that happens.
Fulmer didn't have to pony up, he could have said "this is what were doing, if that isnt enough and you want to be the coach there good luck, thanks for your time". If Fulmer felt like he was getting played through the process he probably doesn't advise UT to step up to keep him.

Not remotely close to what I was saying. Keeping him was prudent but now things are different and I think you would ageee with that.

He didn’t pay the buyout cause he likes his money!

Why is this hard.

And yes we hsve not been a great basketball team in the past so I guess we just keep setting our standards low and aim low, right?
Because you said in the post I quoted he didnt really want to be here. He had an out to a place he thinks is special and didnt take it. Thus the point. Then you went off on why, which isnt relevant because he didnt leave.

Why is Duke, UNC, UK, , Kansas, Mich St, UCLA .......what they are in basketball?

Your solution to standards and aiming is paying who how much?

Barnes is 64.... No need to dance around the issue. Fact is we kept him and UCLA didn't get him.

Win/Win for Barnes and Tennessee.

This is what everyone wanted and now that they got it, they are mad.....

This fan base never ceases to amaze.
Guess we should be used to the CRAZIES by now. Social media does allow the LOONIES a voice though.

Not remotely close to what I was saying. Keeping him was prudent but now things are different and I think you would ageee with that.
Maybe you thought we were agreeing when we were not.

I thought keeping him was better than hiring another coach. Something we have missed more than we ve hit over the years.

That didnt change with him saying what some already knew to be true after the fact. The only way this matters is if he curls up waiting to retire and quits doing his job because UCLAs AD is an idiot. I dont think for a second he has that level of integrity.

Reactions: JoAllan
I don't give a fat rat's ass why he stayed or how much it cost. I'll reserve my complaints for when he does leave/retire and then if the program is on a higher level and he leaves after a Tourney run and the cupboard is full of high character 4 stars there won't be any from me. Love what he's done so far and I don't expect anything less in the future. Time to complain is if he regresses.
So if your feelings are hurt by Woids, yer pussies.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
Seems obvious to me that he wasn’t happy about something at Tennessee. I’ve never heard a coach publicly admit something like this.

Oh, Horse Hockey. It's UCLA. It's a huge sports market, has a great local recruiting area and when they offer, any coach listens. Since that program has national championship trophies in it's case, that makes it a job any coach considers. But they didn't step up to the plate on the buyout. That doesn't mean "he wasn't happy about something at Tennessee."

And as to him publicly admitted this? He may be one of the few coaches out there that doesn't lie. Refreshing if you ask me.

Reactions: A.Vol70
I don't give a fat rat's ass why he stayed or how much it cost. I'll reserve my complaints for when he does leave/retire and then if the program is on a higher level and he leaves after a Tourney run and the cupboard is full of high character 4 stars there won't be any from me. Love what he's done so far and I don't expect anything less in the future. Time to complain is if he regresses.
So if your feelings are hurt by Woids, yer pussies.
Preach it.

Everything that you're saying is true but it's just a total unforced error by him. It doesn't do him any good to say that, either with his current players, current/future recruits, and the fans.
Recruits see that he turned UCLA down. If they want him as their coach, recruiting hasn’t been affected anything but positively.

After hearing this I now wish he would have left. He doesn’t sound very appreciative of his time at Tennessee.

How long have we been all that great in Basketball? Even better, what is our history with Basketball coaches? Who cares what he sounds like? What should have he said? His blood runs deep orange? He has memorized the lyrics of Rocky Top? Ha ha. Until he have a history of ending the season with a shiny new trophy everyone lines up to look at, we are going to have our coach offered by schools with that history. That is the reality of it. Deal with it.

Reactions: butchna

VN Store

Back