Barnes said he would be at UCLA if buyout was paid

I really doubt that...Barnes is now a Top 3 paid coach and probably an even bigger buyout, and he just turned out what arguably is his dream job. Hard to see him entertaining schools every year of lesser pedigree or thinking that those schools would be willing to pay that salary and a buyout.

If he didn’t deny this why should anyone believe he’ll be here if someone pony’s up the cash? He basically said if someone pays me top dollar and covers the buyout my bags are packed

Say what you want about Bruce, but he would never say something like this. Especially regarding the way he feels about UT. I miss having a coach like that.
Why do you people still think Bruce Pearl hung the moon? That guy is looking out for Bruce Pearl, first and foremost, which doesn’t make him unlike 99.9% of other coaches. But please stop it with the sanctimonious act that he is this modern day Vol martyr who would boldly defend Tennessee to the ends of the earth for all time.

Last edited:
I’m not sure “wanted to leave”, and “wanted to go to UCLA” are the same thing. As someone else said earlier, he likely doesn’t even take a phone call if it was USC calling. In other words, I’m not sure he was just looking to take any job.
I know. I mentioned that during the fiasco. UCLA is a job you listen to

Reactions: amorange
We didn’t keep anything Tennessee got lucky. The agent couldn’t get the job done.

Barnes doesn't have an agent.

And while it is true that Tennessee got lucky with UCLA's cheapness, Tennessee won by locking Barnes up with what will be his last major contract of his professional career. There is zero reason to think that Tennessee will ever have to worry about buying him aka firing him with this contract.

The reason people fret over contract salaries are the ramifications financially if things go South. Barnes would have to incur a major scandal or quit doing his day job for things to go south drastically to the level of where terminating him is considered.

It is a pretty good feeling knowing that Barnes is on his last major contract and that it will end with him retiring or another school paying the big buyout to get him.

This is absolutely a win for Tennessee Basketball and the Department's finances.

Also still amazed at some who think Barnes' wanting to return UCLA to national title contention is somehow a slight at Tennessee's rich history of Sweet 16's.... SMH

If he didn’t deny this why should anyone believe he’ll be here if someone pony’s up the cash? He basically said if someone pays me top dollar and covers the buyout my bags are packed
2 things...

1. He didn’t give Arkansas the time of day even though they were willing to pay $4m+, this is because he isn’t just going anywhere, UCLA was the golden job to him.

2. How many schools do you know that are willing to pay $5m+ for a coach annually?

The second question would still be in question in some cases. Especially for a younger coach that may plant himself at UNC for a decade+.

Carolina gets whomever they want. If it came down to UT/Carolina battle we know UT would fold like a law char. It’s not their nature to fight to keep a coach.

Wouldn't you rather have someone who tells the truth about the situation instead of spinning a web of bs (which is what 99% of the rest of the coaches across the country do daily). I for one am damn sure glad he stayed and that they couldnt afford the buyout. I like honesty and transparency. I agree with several of the others here. If you have been alive for more than 30 years, you remember or know quite well what UCLA and that job means in CBB. Lets just be real about it.

Then why mention it?
If he didn't really want to be here, he would have paid the buyout and left for what he thinks is an iconic job.

Yeah, he "bombed" out after making one of UTs 8 all time S16 appearances after taking over for Lonnie Wyndall

He didn’t pay the buyout cause he likes his money!

Why is this hard.

And yes we hsve not been a great basketball team in the past so I guess we just keep setting our standards low and aim low, right?

You just made my earlier point.

If Roy Williams at UNC retired last month and Barnes left UT open and both zeroed in on the same coach and both was willing to pay 5 mil a year, who gets that coach?

If UNC was willing to only pay 4 and UT was still willing to pay 5, who gets that coach?
I think it depends on the coach and how confident they are in their ability to recruit, coach, develop etc. Some coaches wouldn't like the idea of following behind a Saban. You could forever be in the previous coach's shadow. Me personally I like the idea of being the person that made (insert program) what it is today.

Barnes would have been a fool not to consider the UCLA job. I don't blame him one bit! Any of you that are disappointed in him or obviously butt hurt get over it! Money talks!

Carolina gets whomever they want. If it came down to UT/Carolina battle we know UT would fold like a law char. It’s not their nature to fight to keep a coach.
Are you that obtuse?!? That is exactly what we just did. And you’re moaning and complaining about it? Good grief, you people are dense.

2 things...

1. He didn’t give Arkansas the time of day even though they were willing to pay $4m+, this is because he isn’t just going anywhere, UCLA was the golden job to him.

2. How many schools do you know that are willing to pay $5m+ for a coach annually?

But if the Hogs offered 5 and a buyout you know he’d be on the first thing smoking.

There’s another blueblood out there that if things don’t get on track they can cover any money they want if they choose to

Dumb, dumb, dumb.....

The guy isn't going to be on the hotseat unless there is a scandal.

This will be Barnes' last professional coaching contract. Tennessee has no reason to fear buying him out. Either two things happen in which Barnes leaves Tennessee. That is retirement or some other school comes and pays a big buyout for him.

Keeping Barnes is a win/win scenario for more than just the coaching position.

Amazing how many people would rather be lied to.
I’m not saying lie to us, but how about, UCLA is an attractive job, one I respect and one I strongly considered and had a hard time turning down but at the end of the day Tennessee is where we wanted to be. I’m glad Barnes is our coach and certainly glad he stayed, I just wish he had chosen his words a little wiser...especially with this fan base!🤪
GBO!!

Except he won a share of the SEC last year. Finished 2nd this year. Won more games in a 2 year period than any coach in school history. I get that we fell short of our ultimate goal, but so did 350 other D1 coaches this year. Try some perspective and don’t try to convince anyone you don’t care about the money. It’s the first thing you brought up, and then you mentioned it three other times.

Did we win the tourney?
Did we get bounced last year and this year before winning the sec tourney?
Did this team honestly live up to its e expectations?
Did we get better or worse as the season went on?

Reactions: Volsintears
Are you that obtuse?!? That is exactly what we just did. And you’re moaning and complaining about it? Good grief, you people are dense.

The 1 time out of how many times?

How many times has UT let a coach walk because they didn’t want to pay? Assistants included.

He compared UT and UCLA and said he preferred UCLA. So what?

Most coaches would likely agree with him.

It concerns me that he would be praying about this. It's a job. Good grief! Pray about something more important -- a health crisis, etc.

I hope he's not praying about who he's putting in a game or the outcome of a game.

Did he mention how he's working to get better in game strategy, style of play, etc. so that his teams can win more games in the tournament?

That's where his focus should be -- learning from others and becoming a more effective coach. Helping his teams score a few more points using his superior game strategy and player utilization.

He's the John McCain of coaches. He rises so high and then he declares I'm not going to do the things necessary to win the big prize.

But if the Hogs offered 5 and a buyout you know he’d be on the first thing smoking.

There’s another blueblood out there that if things don’t get on track they can cover any money they want if they choose to
Not at all, if they opened up conversations with $4m+ and Barnes didn’t even entertain them I’m sure they’d have been willing to go even higher if he would’ve entertained them at all.

What blue bloods? How many blue bloods have hired a 65+ year old coach?

VN Store

Back