Barnes said he would be at UCLA if buyout was paid

I think some people wanted to believe there was more to his decision than money...and here he is flat out admitting it was only money...

This is why I don’t get behind any coach we hire...I don’t feel any sense of loyalty to them simply because we hired them to be our coach...coaches these days are mercenaries and will drop us when the moneys right faster than we’ll drop them after back to back losing seasons

Could it be coaches aren’t as loyal because fans don’t get behind them?..............just saying

It goes both ways

Last edited:
Dude I don’t give a f about other people’s money. Just love that he flat out said I really don’t want to be here but sold out for cash and the fans will still scream and shout and cheer for him bombing out in the tourney.

Dude can’t win anything or any game that matters!

Except he won a share of the SEC last year. Finished 2nd this year. Won more games in a 2 year period than any coach in school history. I get that we fell short of our ultimate goal, but so did 350 other D1 coaches this year. Try some perspective and don’t try to convince anyone you don’t care about the money. It’s the first thing you brought up, and then you mentioned it three other times.

Reactions: JoAllan
I think some people wanted to believe there was more to his decision than money...and here he is flat out admitting it was only money...

This is why I don’t get behind any coach we hire...I don’t feel any sense of loyalty to them simply because we hired them to be our coach...coaches these days are mercenaries and will drop us when the moneys right faster than we’ll drop them after back to back losing seasons
Yes and No. I asked earlier, does Barnes jump at equal pay (and a covered buyout) to go to USCw? The exact location in this case made all the difference in getting his attention unless someone walked in with 7 mil a year.

Totally agree with the last part. This is a job. Some jobs are more lucrative from a success standpoint. In most cases that leads to being paid better. Success = options. Some are willing to pay more money but may not have the tools for you to be as successful over the long haul as others. While $ plays a huge part, ability to succeed is also considered at this level. And at Barnes age the time required to achieve the level asked of at both places will play a part in that money equation as well.

Then why mention it?
If he didn't really want to be here, he would have paid the buyout and left for what he thinks is an iconic job.

Yeah, he "bombed" out after making one of UTs 8 all time S16 appearances after taking over for Lonnie Wyndall
Yes it's one of UTs best seasons and 8 all time S16 appearances but it's the same thing he's done for 3 decades minus 1 final four trip near the beginning of his career at Texas 16 years ago. We are paying national championship money for a sweet 16 coach.

Fulmer shows his commitment to the basketball program and Barnes.... Then Barnes comes back and shows his gratitude with this....

Yes it's one of UTs best seasons and 8 all time S16 appearances but it's the same thing he's done for 3 decades minus 1 final four trip near the beginning of his career at Texas 16 years ago. We are paying national championship money for a sweet 16 coach.
Would you rather we pay NIT money for a below .500 coach? We’ve tried that route. Several times, in fact.

Reactions: JoAllan
Say what you want about Bruce, but he would never say something like this. Especially regarding the way he feels about UT. I miss having a coach like that.

Reactions: John Wick

You just made my earlier point.

If Roy Williams at UNC retired last month and Barnes left UT open and both zeroed in on the same coach and both was willing to pay 5 mil a year, who gets that coach?

If UNC was willing to only pay 4 and UT was still willing to pay 5, who gets that coach?

Lol at the amazing butthurt of some "fans" in here.

Fact of the matter is we kept a blueblood from plucking our coach and we didn't have to go thru a 4th coaching search in 8 years.

Yet everywhere you turn, there is doom and gloom.

Reactions: amorange
You just made my earlier point.

If Roy Williams at UNC retired last month and Barnes left UT open and both zeroed in on the same coach and both was willing to pay 5 mil a year, who gets that coach?

If UNC was willing to only pay 4 and UT was still willing to pay 5, who gets that coach?

High and dry with no place to fly.

Lol at the amazing butthurt of some "fans" in here.

Fact of the matter is we kept a blueblood from plucking our coach and we didn't have to go thru a 4th coaching search in 8 years.

Yet everywhere you turn, there is doom and gloom.

We didn’t keep anything Tennessee got lucky. The agent couldn’t get the job done.

Get ready to deal with this year to year.
I really doubt that...Barnes is now a Top 3 paid coach and probably an even bigger buyout, and he just turned out what arguably is his dream job. Hard to see him entertaining schools every year of lesser pedigree or thinking that those schools would be willing to pay that salary and a buyout.

On the whole, I’m glad Rick is back and think we’re better with him than the replacement we would have hired.

I have no problem saying he’s the best coach we’ve ever had.

But he has absolutely ruined all the goodwill he built up with this fanbase. He could have ridden the occasionally Sweet 16 to retirement here and heard very little grief about it.

All I’ll say is, he better pray to the same God he prayed to about a raise that Grant and Bone come back. Because if this team struggles next year he will find himself on a hotseat going into 2020.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.....

The guy isn't going to be on the hotseat unless there is a scandal.

This will be Barnes' last professional coaching contract. Tennessee has no reason to fear buying him out. Either two things happen in which Barnes leaves Tennessee. That is retirement or some other school comes and pays a big buyout for him.

Keeping Barnes is a win/win scenario for more than just the coaching position.

Amazing how many people would rather be lied to.

And it looks good scrolling across ESPN too. Sure you can praise the honesty but I think Barnes could’ve worded his answer a little differently is all. What would his reaction be if Fulmer said in a press conference, well, we want coach x but he wanted too much money so we kept coach Barnes. My guess is, not too happy.
GBO!!

VN Store

Back