Barnes said he would be at UCLA if buyout was paid

Solid Head Coaches are simply GUNS for HIRE.....Barnes is no different.

Fulmer wouldn’t have left TN for all the riches in the world. He may have made some poor hiring choices and been too scared to change but that man was loyal to his school.

Not all top coaches are guns for hire!

Some of you are confusing the opportunity to consider UCLA job (most of us don’t have a problem with him talking to anyone) and him today in a press conference saying basically “if UCLA had paid the buyout direct to Tennessee instead of to me, I wouldn’t be here.” That’s two completely and separate occurrences. It’s his actions today that’s got people pissed off.

What I am asking is: How does this offend you?

All of this was known since it happened. Barnes prayed, the buyout was not met by UCLA, Fulmer gave him 4.7 and he stayed. Somehow now that Barnes tells us this, it is offensive? You certainly have your right to be offended and be mad.......I just don’t get it.

Reactions: butchna
I honestly believe a large part of our Fanbase wakes up in the morning, swings theirs legs off of the bed and tries to find ways to be offended. Rick could not have been more honest about what happened and I fully understand it and I fully understand how God answered his prayer. (It’s called opening and closing doors and the Father does it often) By the way in business you owe no one any explanation about anything when it comes to opportunities.
Perfectly stated!

It was a dumb thing to say. Burns good will. You'd think after being fired at Texas he'd be more appreciative of a school whose fans want him and praised him and whose administration made him one of the highest paid coaches in CBB history a week ago.
Was he wanted and appreciate d the first couple years by all? ... Most?

No testing the NBA draft is different. Even him talking to UCLA doesn't bother me,however acting like he wishes he was there and that they had done the buyout is different.

How is this different? If Williams gets good feedback he is gone. If he doesn’t he will return to Tennessee. All of that would be ok, as long as Williams doesn’t tell us “I didn’t get the NBA feedback I was hoping for.”

Signs... see them...

God gave humans the ability to reason for a reason. If he needed to send signs for every decision in our lives, he’d given us the same brain he gave other creatures. Barnes reasoned paying $1.4mil in taxes on money he never deposited didn’t make sense. Not sure that’s a sign as much as it’s the ability to reason.

How is this different? If Williams gets good feedback he is gone. If he doesn’t he will return to Tennessee. All of that would be ok, as long as Williams doesn’t tell us “I didn’t get the NBA feedback I was hoping for.”
Different! Every player's dream is to play in the NBA. You expect your coach to at least act like he likes it where he is employed. I mean we have exalted him to GOD status. He received a huge raise for a season where they ultimately did not meet the preseason expectations.

I'd rather we gave a coach a massive salary to actually want to be here. What happens if the next school is willing to pay his buyout?
He said bit was because it was UCLA. If it's a school with no history and just throwing cash in the future.... Have at him....

Different! Every player's dream is to play in the NBA. You expect your coach to at least act like he likes it where he is employed. I mean we have exalted him to GOD status. He received a huge raise for a season where they ultimately did not meet the preseason expectations.

All of this is fair to say. But all Barnes did was say out loud what we already knew.

Also all top coaches dream is prob to get to the final four and to win a championship......or to do it again. It’s seriously the same. He looked, it didn’t work out, he stayed. I would think if upsetting it would be worse to do it rather than say it, however this time it’s backward.

VN Store

Back