Barnes said he would be at UCLA if buyout was paid

maybe someone will buy him out next year, why would he say that after we gave him millions more....

You’re confusing the decision and the comment today. Two completely different things. I just don’t think it was smart of him to say what he did today. Frankly I’d bet Fulmer & Boyd are alittle put back by it. JMO.
I feel pretty sure that Fulmer, Boyd, and a couple of other heavyweights are a bit miffed. What was said was probably better left unsaid.

Bleh, we overpayed for a coach that is a good solid basketball coach that will probably never see another final 4.
yep, maybe top 20 not top, what 3 or 4 paid. ridiculous. then he spits in our face after we pay him tons of money. but it was coming from a good place he says, Yeah ok...i'm no millionaire but if I were I wouldnt need to make comments like that.

Also don't underestimate the effect the act of combining that statement with the God stuff has on people being miffed about it. He also said "God told me to stay at Tennessee" in the same press conference as "I think I would have been the coach at UCLA" if they covered the buyout. Did God tell UCLA's AD to not cover Rick's buyout? Did God tell Rick to stay at Tennessee, which also meant more money?

Statements like that have a way of rubbing people the wrong way even if they are genuine, both religious and non-religious.
Totally disagree with this. As a Christian I understand and appreciate what he's saying. He says he's a man of faith. If that's true, and I believe it is, then this is how you make big decisions, looking for guidance from God. Sometimes that guidance is obvious, sometimes it's subtle.

"Religious" is irrelevant as it applies to him because that word really means nothing re faith, but I understand what you mean. To the "religious" and certainly the non-religious, yeah what he said probably makes no sense. But so what? Somehow I doubt he much cares what they think, knowing they're gonna find something to criticize anyway.

Reactions: vollygirl
While I appreciate honesty and detest coach speak sometimes it's best to say absolutely nothing and that's what Barnes should have done in this instance. I admit I was wrong about Barnes as I wasn't a fan when he was first hired and I came around but after this I'm kinda in a I don't give a damn if he did leave mood.

Reactions: wmcovol
Bleh, we overpayed for a coach that is a good solid basketball coach that will probably never see another final 4.
Let's say this is true... but Barnes coaches another 6 seasons (through the end of the 2024-25 season), makes the NCAA Tournament every year, with 2 more Sweet 16 exits, 1 Elite Eight and 1 SEC regular season Championship. Isn't that a helluva run?

Reactions: OrangenSC
I honestly believe a large part of our Fanbase wakes up in the morning, swings theirs legs off of the bed and tries to find ways to be offended. Rick could not have been more honest about what happened and I fully understand it and I fully understand how God answered his prayer. (It’s called opening and closing doors and the Father does it often) By the way in business you owe no one any explanation about anything when it comes to opportunities.

I have ZERO issues with this. We as a fan base, not only at UT but at most schools have made this into a business. I appreciate the honesty. Looking forward to next season, and many more, with Coach Rick Barnes.

Let's say this is true... but Barnes coaches another 6 seasons (through the end of the 2024-25 season), makes the NCAA Tournament every year, with 2 more Sweet 16 exits, 1 Elite Eight and 1 SEC regular season Championship. Isn't that a helluva run?
No way! Win it all or fahr Rick now! I'm mad!!!!

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Indeed, some things are better left unsaid. Nothing like telling a fan base with high expectations that they are really a second choice after becoming what....the third highest paid coach in college basketball? Questionable decision, Rick.
Yeah. Considering the season ended the way it did. It takes some nerve to rub it in the fans face after all this.

Reactions: Big time vol

So in other words, what Jerry Green did plus 1game (Elite 8) is worth paying him in top 5 in the country?

Reactions: Trent4Pruitt4life
Saying that to the media in front of Fulmer immediately after Fulmer had spoke about people stepping up, making commitments toward Barnes & the program, was very disrespectful.

Reactions: LoudOrange
How did Barnes disrespect you?

Are you disrespected by Bone? Are you disrespected by Williams checking out his options?

Some of you are confusing the opportunity to consider UCLA job (most of us don’t have a problem with him talking to anyone) and him today in a press conference saying basically “if UCLA had paid the buyout direct to Tennessee instead of to me, I wouldn’t be here.” That’s two completely and separate occurrences. It’s his actions today that’s got people pissed off.

Reactions: JacketVol
Some of you are confusing the opportunity to consider UCLA job (most of us don’t have a problem with him talking to anyone) and him today in a press conference saying basically “if UCLA had paid the buyout direct to Tennessee instead of to me, I wouldn’t be here.” That’s two completely and separate occurrences. It’s his actions today that’s got people pissed off.
When did words become “actions”?

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

VN Store

Back