Barnes on Developing Young Talent

You tell em coach....
macaca_nigra001.jpg

Reactions: Coach Jumper
Kelly's plate is full without taking the time to work with the individual players until their errors are erased. She does take the time as much as she can no doubt. Perhaps other assistants are trying but don't have the talents that Coach Jumper has verbally illustrated in his years as a very solid fan of the Lady Vols. Some people have talents others either do not have or talents that can vastly aid and contribute. Nothing to lose and much to gain by giving him a shot non-competitive to those already working in the program. As per the 3 musketeers ''one for all and all for one.'' The Lady Vols come to the great UT arena for the most part with simple high school training. The best of them have dreams of honing skills in Knoxville for the pro ranks. In the history of this nation a study of our great leaders victories in all fields and battles show choosing winning support in worthwhile endeavors is a win, win.

Thank you for that JFP
I will try to continue to earn your support

I know it wasn't what the point was, but Rick is being disingenuous here. He may do that occasionally, but he definitely yanks guys just for one bad play and just because he's ticked about the one bad play. (And, just so you know, I like Rick.)

I know it wasn't what the point was, but Rick is being disingenuous here. He may do that occasionally, but he definitely yanks guys just for one bad play and just because he's ticked about the one bad play. (And, just so you know, I like Rick.)
Rick was talking specifically about younguns like Gaines, was asked how he decides whether to let them "play through" mistakes or pull them immediately like he does the more experienced players. His answer caught my ear b/c IMO it applies to our situation with Horston.

I'm not a coach, nor do I pretend to be, but as a longtime observer it appears to me continuing to let Horston "play through" is damaging instead of helping. Her body language last night was exactly what Rick said he looks for to indicate the young player is being set back, not helped by continuing to be out there. Of course like Rick, KJH is forced by a very limited bench to play kids when she probably would rather not.

Reactions: Orange Maniac
Grant Williams turned down scholarships from Ivy League schools. He played several musical instruments, he had the patience of Job, tremendous work ethic, and he was built like a Mack truck. Not many can compare.

That would have been impossible because Ivy League schools do not offer scholarships. They do not give scholarships for athletics, academics, or anything else. A scholarship is a reward for being good at something: athletics, academics, musical or artistic talent, leadership skills, etc. None of the Ivy League schools offer scholarships. Period!

Ivy League schools do offer need-based financial aid. Financial aid is a reward for being poor. It's like welfare, food stamps, subsidized low-income housing, WIC, etc. An applicant fills out the FAFSA application or completes the CSS profile and the university determines the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Schools then try to provide financial aid to bridge the difference between the EFC and the total cost of attendance.

The terms "scholarship" and "financial aid" are not interchangeable. They are quite different. Other ways to get money for an education is through private scholarships: either locally (the town's Rotary Club, Democratic/Republican Party, etc.) or nationally (Coca Cola, Martin Marietta, etc.). While those scholarships can be used to attend an Ivy League school, they are not "from" the Ivy League school, because (once again) Ivy League schools do not offer scholarships.

Some schools offer free tuition for their employees, employees' spouses, or employees' children. It is usually just tuition (not room and board, books, fees, etc.). That is not a scholarship or financial aid, it is an employee benefit.

I'm sure there are other ways to fund an education that I'm not aware of, but if anyone tells you that their son/daughter or neighbor got a full scholarship to attend an Ivy League school, they are lying to you because Ivy League schools (and other top universities like Tufts) do not offer scholarships.

Just like the women's team the young players for Barnes this year have been slow to develop. James, Olivier, Plavsic, Gaines, and even Vescovi with his turnovers are far from reaching their potential. We can't give him a pass and think that coach Harper freshmen should be playing at the top. All players are different some get it quicker than others Williams a three star was one that understood and could play immediately. Schofield another three star also was fairly quick to get with the program. His players this year have been slow to adjust just as slow as Key and Horston so he doesn't get a pass on his player development this season.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
That would have been impossible because Ivy League schools do not offer scholarships. They do not give scholarships for athletics, academics, or anything else. A scholarship is a reward for being good at something: athletics, academics, musical or artistic talent, leadership skills, etc. None of the Ivy League schools offer scholarships. Period!

Ivy League schools do offer need-based financial aid. Financial aid is a reward for being poor. It's like welfare, food stamps, subsidized low-income housing, WIC, etc. An applicant fills out the FAFSA application or completes the CSS profile and the university determines the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Schools then try to provide financial aid to bridge the difference between the EFC and the total cost of attendance.

The terms "scholarship" and "financial aid" are not interchangeable. They are quite different. Other ways to get money for an education is through private scholarships: either locally (the town's Rotary Club, Democratic/Republican Party, etc.) or nationally (Coca Cola, Martin Marietta, etc.). While those scholarships can be used to attend an Ivy League school, they are not "from" the Ivy League school, because (once again) Ivy League schools do not offer scholarships.

Some schools offer free tuition for their employees, employees' spouses, or employees' children. It is usually just tuition (not room and board, books, fees, etc.). That is not a scholarship or financial aid, it is an employee benefit.

I'm sure there are other ways to fund an education that I'm not aware of, but if anyone tells you that their son/daughter or neighbor got a full scholarship to attend an Ivy League school, they are lying to you because Ivy League schools (and other top universities like Tufts) do not offer scholarships.

From Knoxville News: Better?

“Grant Williams passed on Ivy League schools for Vols.

With a mother who works as an engineer for NASA, Grant Williams has long been focused on academics. He’s a pretty good basketball player, too.

The 6-foot-5 Tennessee freshman forward, a Charlotte native, was recruited by Harvard and Yale, among other Ivy League schools, and became just the fourth player ever to be named by the Charlotte Observer as player of the year in back-to-back seasons.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Bret178
Just like the women's team the young players for Barnes this year have been slow to develop. James, Olivier, Plavsic, Gaines, and even Vescovi with his turnovers are far from reaching their potential.

Vescovi didn't join the team until midseason and Plavsic has only been eligible about a month...

Reactions: BreatheUT
Rick was talking specifically about younguns like Gaines, was asked how he decides whether to let them "play through" mistakes or pull them immediately like he does the more experienced players. His answer caught my ear b/c IMO it applies to our situation with Horston.

I'm not a coach, nor do I pretend to be, but as a longtime observer it appears to me continuing to let Horston "play through" is damaging instead of helping. Her body language last night was exactly what Rick said he looks for to indicate the young player is being set back, not helped by continuing to be out there. Of course like Rick, KJH is forced by a very limited bench to play kids when she probably would rather not.

I am a coach and I don't pretend to be...Even with as much strife as we have caused each other,,,this is spot-on

Just like the women's team the young players for Barnes this year have been slow to develop. James, Olivier, Plavsic, Gaines, and even Vescovi with his turnovers are far from reaching their potential. We can't give him a pass and think that coach Harper freshmen should be playing at the top. All players are different some get it quicker than others Williams a three star was one that understood and could play immediately. Schofield another three star also was fairly quick to get with the program. His players this year have been slow to adjust just as slow as Key and Horston so he doesn't get a pass on his player development this season.

That is false about Vescovi. Just look at his stat line over the last few games. James has gotten more assertive, is the back up PG and has become a better outside shooter. Plavsic has only been playing a month.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
That is false about Vescovi. Just look at his stat line over the last few games. James has gotten more assertive, is the back up PG and has become a better outside shooter. Plavsic has only been playing a month.
Absolutely. I'd kill for Horston to improve half as much as Vescovi has in a handful of games. He's the last guy I'd use as an example of slow development.

Oh, I don't disagree with your take on Horston. I just think Rick is lying to himself if he thinks he doesn't rip guys out as punishment for one bad play. (And, for the record, I'm a Rick fan. All coaches have flaws. That just seems to be one of Rick's more obvious ones.)

You want to talk about some of the things he has done well and not all. Look at his turnovers he is consistently 6 to 10 every game. James has done no more than Horston you can compare stats and easily determine that he hasn't been anymore effective for the men's team than she has for the women's. The point is and totally true he has not any better job at developing those freshman than Harper has done developing the ones she has. You can't look at one players turnovers Horston and not see that Vescovi has an identical record for turning the ball over. I have looked at his stat line and he had six turnovers in his last game vs 6 turnovers for Horston. You people want to find fault with the new coach of the Lady Vols while giving a pass to an identical problem on the men's team.

Y'all clearly aren't using volfan2012's advanced analytics...
Never let facts and information get in the way because they might show you that Vescovi has been no more effective in his overall play than Horston has. To add the team is 7 and 7 since he got here. He is average 11 ppg and 4 rebounds to her 10 ppg and 6 rebounds. She has averaged 5 assist to his 4 assist per game. He is shooting 38 percent from the field to her 39 percent. He is averaging 4 turnovers a game to her 4.7 a game. So let us never review the facts that the Vols are 15 and 11 and the Lady Vols are 17 and 9. Never let facts get in the way of what is actually happening.

Reactions: creekdipper
Absolutely. I'd kill for Horston to improve half as much as Vescovi has in a handful of games. He's the last guy I'd use as an example of slow development.
You checked their overall stats lately and in his last game he committed 6 turnovers guess he is really doing a lot better than she is.

VN Store

Back