Barnes gets contract extension through 2026-2027

If the salaries of the coaches were equal, then you would be correct. But Barnes makes 1 million more per year and has went deeper in the tourney than Barnes has. Yes it most certainly matters. It shows progress and a teams ability to perform in the toughest moments. Using your logic there are only a few head coaches in college basketball that are any good.
There are only what 6-7 “elite” coaches in bball? Who would say is better than Barnes that we would be able to get.

Musselman is a good coach, and he has elevated both Nevada and Arkansas. Barnes also elevated Texas to new heights as a program and he took over a dumpster fire here and has coached some of the best teams we’ve ever had. I’m not sure what the point of comparing them is.
Because one or more posters here said that Barnes is the best coach in the conference. If the criterion is post-season success, then no, he isn't.

Reactions: Big time vol
Not even close
There’s not enough info on Musselman yet but he’s had Arkansas in the last 2 Elite 8s and he’s only been there 3 years. In 7 seasons he’s never won less than 20 games and he also took Nevada to a Sweet 16. Saying it’s not close might be showing your bias. Based on his success in college I’d say it’s not so crazy to say he’s better and I’m a Barnes fan. The only 3 you could remotely argue could be better would be Pearl, Cal and Musselman. We’ve had the Pearl crap in here plenty so I’ll skip that. Cal hasn’t done squat the last few years and I think is a far better recruiter than coach. No way I’d trade Barnes for Cal. Muss probably doesn’t have enough history to claim he’s better yet but he very well could be. His results the last 2 years have been better. I wouldn’t trade Barnes for anyone but if he retired and we got Muss I’d be good with that.

Barnes has outcoached Calipari 10 times since he’s been here at Tennessee.

Musselman hasn’t reached a Final Four. Barnes has.
OK, here are the NCAAT records in the seasons since Musselman became a coach. How would you rank them?

A)

1648399905422.png

B)

1648399789512.png

C)

1648399848655.png

Seriously. At this point in time, Musselman is head and shoulders above Barnes. The dude has turned two perennially terrible teams and made them better immediately. Plus his tourney success is light years ahead. He knows how to motivate his players.
Arkansas is not a perennially terrible team at all.

Rick Barnes’ performance against win expectations in the NCAAT in his tenure here is -3.5 wins. This years team had a cumulative win expectation of like 2.2 wins. And we got 1. One deep run and he could go from under-performer to over-performer. I still believe the odds will catch up to him

Good grief, I swear some of you are such prisoners of the moment.

Not to disparage Holloway, but how many of these under-the-radar coaches have their flash in the pan, get the big job, and then flame out? You all act like this moment in time is an immediate guarantee of future success, when in fact, the NCAAT is largely based on luck and good fortune.

Two weeks ago, maybe 5 people on this board could have told you who Shaheen Holloway was. It isn't like he had built up this impenetrable coaching profile. He's 64-56 as a head coach with 1 NCAAT appearance. Sure, he's grossly overachieved in that appearance, but his profile is built on a house of cards, so far.
And the main reason they’ve advanced is because they’re shooting well above their season average. It’s not because their coach suddenly figured out how to coach.

Dislike Barnes’ coaching if you want. It’s America and you don’t even have to have a reason. But if you want to convince others that you’re right surely you can come up with something more legit than “he won’t change”? This year he completely adopted the latest style of passing on the midrange shots in favor of 3 pointers. Change of offensive philosophy happened this season.

If you say so, if it's considered change. But same results - out of the tournament by the second round. He has something if a history doing that.

Told my cousin in Michigan (he's a huge go blue fan) that if TN can shoot 3s at their norm, TN would win. Otherwise, it could go the other way. He texted me the next day.....said he now understood what I meant. Stick with that "favor of 3 pointers".... because you better stay normal or get hot in tournament time. Slip once, disappear like Vescovi did will get you sent home fast. $0.02.

Reactions: Volator
There’s not enough info on Musselman yet but he’s had Arkansas in the last 2 Elite 8s and he’s only been there 3 years. In 7 seasons he’s never won less than 20 games and he also took Nevada to a Sweet 16. Saying it’s not close might be showing your bias. Based on his success in college I’d say it’s not so crazy to say he’s better and I’m a Barnes fan. The only 3 you could remotely argue could be better would be Pearl, Cal and Musselman. We’ve had the Pearl crap in here plenty so I’ll skip that. Cal hasn’t done squat the last few years and I think is a far better recruiter than coach. No way I’d trade Barnes for Cal. Muss probably doesn’t have enough history to claim he’s better yet but he very well could be. His results the last 2 years have been better. I wouldn’t trade Barnes for anyone but if he retired and we got Muss I’d be good with that.
He’s never won anything. No titles. No SEC titles

Reactions: hUTch2002
Calipari, Musselman.

Musselman I agree on. Hard to argue that he's the best in the SEC right now. Calipari, though, I'm not so sure about. Calipari has had a more accomplished career, but recent results suggest that Cal may be trending down. Losing season in 2020 and a first round exit this season. Barnes and Cal are at least tied at this point imo with Barnes having an edge.

VN Store

Back