Baffled about Lady Vols

Benionsopinion

In last night’s closing minutes of regulation,why was an
erratic point guard with no size taking two of their last three shot attempts including one where she attacked taller players on a drive into the lane?
Where was the defense against players not as touted?
Where was JH? Was she injured? I know she had foul trouble, but she never seemed in the game to me.
Where was Justine? Maybe she could have helped. Certainly as much or more than some.
Where were the passes to wide open Lady Vols waving for the ball on the wing. I am beginning to think that is done purposely, prime example being when Sara was standing wide open yet JW threw the ball to triple teamed Rickea thus resulting in a turnover. Don’t know what’s up but this has become prevalent.
There were more of the same bugaboos—- not guarding three point shooters,not stopping drives into the lane,not rebounding as well. Generally a lackluster performance.
All this despite stellar play from Rickea and Jill, who is going to be a star in the near future.
Despite all these things,I am most concerned about Horston who I think is playing through pain.
Bottom line here is that I’m sure the coaches see these things and will correct them.

erratic point guard with no size taking two of their last three shot attempts including one where she attacked taller players on a drive into the lane?
Where was JH? Was she injured? I know she had foul trouble, but she never seemed in the game to me.
Where was Justine? Maybe she could have helped. Certainly as much or more than some.
Where were the passes to wide open Lady Vols waving for the ball on the wing. I am beginning to think that is done purposely, prime example being when Sara was standing wide open yet JW threw the ball to triple teamed Rickea thus resulting in a turnover. Don’t know what’s up but this has become prevalent.
There were more of the same bugaboos—- not guarding three point shooters,not stopping drives into the lane,not rebounding as well. Generally a lackluster performance.
All this despite stellar play from Rickea and Jill, who is going to be a star in the near future.
Despite all these things,I am most concerned about Horston who I think is playing through pain.
Bottom line here is that I’m sure the coaches see these things and will correct them.

I laughed at your last line. Seriously, I laughed.

It starts with understanding the color of uniform you are wearing. In the final minutes there were a couple of instances where they passed it directly to the other team standing in front of them. I really want them to succeed but they keep trying to find ways to make things harder than they have to be.

Could not agree more. I have always been a JH fan and still am but, she has not played up to her standard really this year. Maybe RJ has been assurance we are ok but we need JH and she is not there. Maybe still hurt but i have thought she will not last in the wnba 3 years if she dont get with it. Hope i am wrong!

Just more of the same. This coaching staff has got to be replaced if we are ever going to elevate our program back to where it rightfully belongs. We all wanted Kellie to be the answer, but it's painfully obvious she isn't. She has had plenty of time to show dramatic improvement but it's not happened. Unless pigs fly and they turn things around immediately a change has to me made.

This may be the first time I have ever posted about the LVs and probably the last time. I appreciate KH as a ball player and as a coach developing these young ladies off the court but I feel that it is time the University parts ways with her and bring in a new coach. A coach that meets the expectations of the fan base built on the success of Coach Summit. I know it is a long shadow she is in and the nostalgia of having her coach here after being a player. But I believe that is why she was hired by Phil Fulmer. It just didn't work out.

Let me get this straight. Are you suggesting that the LVs made some mistakes down the stretch that cost them the game?

Gee, if there only had been an existing thread, where people were discussing and analyzing the game......

Read no other threads before posting. Just wanted to know if others saw what I did. Thanks for checking.

....Bottom line here is that I’m sure the coaches see these things and will correct them.

Not with this mindset...

"I don't like to change things. I'm not big on change. I like to settle in and everybody defines their roles. As long as something is working for us, and right now Jillian [Hollingshead] is playing really well off the bench, that's fine. The starting lineup is not the biggest thing for me. Let's have consistency. Let everyone know their roles and understand what's about to happen. That to me is more important than who's out there first."

1. We are a very tired team, and have been standing around too much. The refs kept blowing the whistle against MSU, so if first plan fails, then drive at them.
2. We do have a couple of regulars who are not elite defenders. They have to attempt to guard someone. We need them on the offensive end.
3. This tells me you haven't watched much. Justine will be a fine player; perhaps as early as next year. Currently, she is nowhere near ready for a tough SEC road game.
4. We do a lot of fake waving. Karo waves almost everytime she posts on the block. But, she doesn't really want ball. It is an attempt at deception.
5. Yes. We are certainly struggling with creative inbound plays. Hope we can learn some new material this week. The other teams know our current four plays.
6. MSU had eight days of rest. We will get our rest this week. Definitely, a lackluster performance.
7. Yes, Jillian has a bright future. With her 28 points, Rickea certainly helped keep us in the game.
8. We will see how our coaching staff responds. And then, DW will respond accordingly within the next eight weeks.

Not with this mindset...

"I don't like to change things. I'm not big on change. I like to settle in and everybody defines their roles. As long as something is working for us, and right now Jillian [Hollingshead] is playing really well off the bench, that's fine. The starting lineup is not the biggest thing for me. Let's have consistency. Let everyone know their roles and understand what's about to happen. That to me is more important than who's out there first."

I actually agree with Kellie on that statement. Karo starting wears and tires the other center. She is a leaning load; similar to the Ali rope-a-dope.

Didn't work last night because MSU didn't start their star center.

Per the record book, we were actually better with Sara Buckett's starting and RJ also coming off bench.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

That was a mini chapter.

Reactions: JustaChicken
I actually agree with Kellie on that statement. Karo starting wears and tires the other center. She is a leaning load; similar to the Ali rope-a-dope.

Didn't work last night because MSU didn't start their star center.

Per the record book, we were actually better with Sara Buckett's starting and RJ also coming off bench.
yeah,,,ok

MJ and Scottie didn't start out playing like a tandem,,they had to have court time together

Not with this mindset...

Those first two sentences are troubling to me.

yeah,,,ok

MJ and Scottie didn't start out playing like a tandem,,they had to have court time together

That is true indeed.

We started the year with Karo as the third / fourth center getting little playing time. Without Key, we need her contributions in some fashion.

I don't like the idea of bringing both Buckets and Karo off the bench.

Su would have helped in that game last night. Those little girls needed a couple of bumps

The LV were simply out Coached and out-played. I have said several times that I believe KH is in over her head.

I do not like the blue uniforms. I want them to be in either orange or white with orange and blue trim.

Even though I believe this has been a dismal season for the LV, I will continue to root my head off for them and hope things change for the better.

The LV were simply out Coached and out-played. I have said several times that I believe KH is in over her head.

I do not like the blue uniforms. I want them to be in either orange or white with orange and blue trim.

Even though I believe this has been a dismal season for the LV, I will continue to root my head off for them and hope things change for the better.
Exactly people need to realize you can post your disappointments and disapprovals and still be a devoted fan

Look...I don't all that much care for women's basketball. It is a grind to watch it. However, I also can tell if a team is well coached. This team isn't. It's really simple to see that.

Those first two sentences are troubling to me.

I too find that outlook problematic. As I noted before, it is out of touch with a world where flexibility and adaptability are the most valuable assets any organization possesses.

There is also the issue of what is working well. This team has not been a well oiled machine all season so to think that there is not room for improvement, so that they can be competitive against better teams, is not showing a lot of foresight either. Teams have pushed Uconn and LSU to the brink. We battle for awhile and then lose by double digits.

I don't know, if she doesn't adapt soon a loss to South Carolina is on the horizon plus it is not inconceivable for this team to drop one or two more on the road. At that point, vultures would start circling over the team's practice facility. I am getting a little depressed.....

Look...I don't all that much care for women's basketball. It is a grind to watch it. However, I also can tell if a team is well coached. This team isn't. It's really simple to see that.

Wait...so you know that this team isn't well coached, but you have forced yourself to watch other teams in a sport you "don't care much for" because "it's such a grind to eatch it." So you don't think any women's teams are well-coached?

Whether you blame the players or the LV coaches, the issue goes back farther. All these girls have been playing club basketball in addition to HS basketball, for years, and probably at a fairly high level.

Every question or accusation I've read this season would have been just as appropriate following a high school or AAU game. Is there an explanation for why club basketball hasn't long ago weeded out these terrible habits, poor passing and ball handling, and seeming lack of basketball IQ?

Is the AAU no longer preparing girls to play at the next level?

VN Store

Back