Baffled about Lady Vols

I too find that outlook problematic. As I noted before, it is out of touch with a world where flexibility and adaptability are the most valuable assets any organization possesses.

There is also the issue of what is working well. This team has not been a well oiled machine all season so to think that there is not room for improvement, so that they can be competitive against better teams, is not showing a lot of foresight either. Teams have pushed Uconn and LSU to the brink. We battle for awhile and then lose by double digits.

I don't know, if she doesn't adapt soon a loss to South Carolina is on the horizon plus it is not inconceivable for this team to drop one or two more on the road. At that point, vultures would start circling over the team's practice facility. I am getting a little depressed.....

We didn't lose to LSU by double digits (unless you're referring to the home team foul disparity).

Wait...so you know that this team isn't well coached, but you have forced yourself to watch other teams in a sport you "don't care much for" because "it's such a grind to eatch it." So you don't think any women's teams are well-coached?

This is an emotional response. Let me respond with logic. I will watch the Lady Vols occasionally. Watching women's basketball is a grind. It's why the WNBA, Women's National Soccer Team, and NCAA women's sports are always subsidized by the Men's leagues. But, as a Vol fan I will watch the Lady Vols several times a year. They are not well coached. What you did was jump to a ridiculous conclusion by asking if I don't think any women's teams are well coached. I didn't say that. Pat was a terrific coach...maybe the best. It doesn't make women's basketball any more enjoyable for me personally. Does this now make sense to you...without pretending to be offended.

Reactions: OllVol
This is an emotional response. Let me respond with logic. I will watch the Lady Vols occasionally. Watching women's basketball is a grind. It's why the WNBA, Women's National Soccer Team, and NCAA women's sports are always subsidized by the Men's leagues. But, as a Vol fan I will watch the Lady Vols several times a year. They are not well coached. What you did was jump to a ridiculous conclusion by asking if I don't think any women's teams are well coached. I didn't say that. Pat was a terrific coach...maybe the best. It doesn't make women's basketball any more enjoyable for me personally. Does this now make sense to you...without pretending to be offended.
You need to consider many on this particular forum breath Lady Vols. Introducing yourself as a casual drive by was not well considered…

There's a two word fix to this problem. Kara Lawson. The one who should've been hired to begin with. She has duke playing better ball then any Kellie team has yet. I love Kellie but she just can't coach with the big dogs. Hell I even like looking at her on the sidelines as she is pretty but pretty don't win games.

Actually, the US women's national team makes more $ than the men;s team, which partially reflects they have won 4 world cups and are the defending two time champs whereas it was a big deal for the men just to have qualified for the latest world cup.

You need to consider many on this particular forum breath Lady Vols. Introducing yourself as a casual drive by was not well considered…

Chuckie...this happens on all pages in regards to how people feel about the Vols. Why should I respond differently to coaching hires here differently than other parts of Volnation? I have said as much in regards to football hires and basketball hires. Have I now on the Lady Vols forum discovered some sacred untouchable thing. I said the same thing about Holly.

Personally I'm tired of a particular player running straight to the corner and standing there til the ball is thrown to her and she immediately shoots. I do not see any flashes through the lane or HARD cuts to the basket. It's get the ball to JH, RJ, or TD. That's it. I to love KH and her contribution to the school, but something has to give. On top of that we have no players committed or signed for next season.

We didn't lose to LSU by double digits (unless you're referring to the home team foul disparity).

I was wrong on the score, only an 8 pt loss,.

But here is something about the FTs. The LVs took 12 FTs to LSU's 31 (and several of those came late when the LVs were fouling to extend the game)

We took 44 to MSU's 30 and made 37 versus 19 (The LVs had a really good night-- shooting almost 85%). But even with an 18 point advantage at the line, they still could not close out the game against a team that had just gotten blown out against GA. It is hard to put a happy face on this loss.

Chuckie...this happens on all pages in regards to how people feel about the Vols. Why should I respond differently to coaching hires here differently than other parts of Volnation? I have said as much in regards to football hires and basketball hires. Have I now on the Lady Vols forum discovered some sacred untouchable thing. I said the same thing about Holly.
Cool. I generally steer clear of the primary NCAAM and the football forums. This is about as far into the heart of serious Vol fandom that I wander. Don’t get me wrong, I’m orange blooded to the bone, but all too often fans seem to believe they understand a team better than the staff. That really turns me off. If it was easy, I’d be coaching. If you’re not currently employed as a D1 coach I’m inclined to shade your opinion.
Edit: Yes Darth. That was directed at you! 😂

Actually, the US women's national team makes more $ than the men;s team, which partially reflects they have won 4 world cups and are the defending two time champs whereas it was a big deal for the men just to have qualified for the latest world cup.

This isn't true. They don't make more than the Men's team. Feel free to look at the numbers. There was one year in which the Men didn't make it to a cup and of course the women did. That was the year they made more as a team. But, the viewership and the money generated through sponsorships are in favor of the men's team. But, that honestly doesn't matter. I don't care. I was responding to an accusation that was wrong. What I am here saying, is that anyone can watch the Vols play and can admit that they're not that well coached. I know it hurts because of emotional attachment to former players turned coaches...but it's just the way it is.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Cool. I generally steer clear of the primary NCAAM and the football forums. This is about as far into the heart of serious Vol fandom that I wander. Don’t get me wrong, I’m orange blooded to the bone, but all too often fans seem to believe they understand a team better than the staff. That really turns me off. If it was easy, I’d be coaching. If you’re not currently employed as a D1 coach I’m inclined to shade your opinion.
Edit: Yes Darth. That was directed at you! 😂

Chuckie...don't get me wrong. I don't bash women's sports. I personally find them difficult to watch over men's sports. I have a daughter who plays sports. Wouldn't watch it in a million years if it wasn't her playing. Yes, coaching is difficult. I am one. Not D1...but I am a coach. The flip side of this coin is just as true if you go your route. If you're not a D1 coach, you can't say that they're coached well either.

This isn't true. They don't make more than the Men's team. Feel free to look at the numbers. There was one year in which the Men didn't make it to a cup and of course the women did. That was the year they made more as a team. But, the viewership and the money generated through sponsorships are in favor of the men's team. But, that honestly doesn't matter. I don't care. I was responding to an accusation that was wrong. What I am here saying, is that anyone can watch the Vols play and can admit that they're not that well coached. I know it hurts because of emotional attachment to former players turned coaches...but it's just the way it is.
Are you willing to hold your opinion until the end of the season? Having asked that, I definitely expect DW and Donde have an ear to the rail…

Reactions: Ratvol
Are you willing to hold your opinion until the end of the season? Having asked that, I definitely expect DW and Donde have an ear to the rail…

Well...I don't understand why I would need to hold my opinion on whether I think they're a well coached team as of now. I don't think they're well coached. Could it turn around? Sure. But right now you can't tell me as a Lady Vol fan you're impressed with what they've accomplished over the last few years with easily top 5 talent nationally...right? I mean, are we not near the top annually in recruiting and transfers? If it were like this in football it would be over.

Well...I don't understand why I would need to hold my opinion on whether I think they're a well coached team as of now. I don't think they're well coached. Could it turn around? Sure. But right now you can't tell me as a Lady Vol fan you're impressed with what they've accomplished over the last few years with easily top 5 talent nationally...right? I mean, are we not near the top annually in recruiting and transfers? If it were like this in football it would be over.
You’ve convinced me. I’ll settle back into the shrubs and watch! 😎

Not sure I’d extend top five talent…

Gosh, there was kind of a whole lawsuit over this issue, which the women's team won. Maybe you should correct the courts and the arbitrator because you obviously cannot be wrong.

PolitiFact - Does the U.S. women’s soccer team bring in more revenue but get paid less than the men?

Judge approves $24 million equal pay settlement for U.S. women's soccer team

There's a two word fix to this problem. Kara Lawson. The one who should've been hired to begin with. She has duke playing better ball then any Kellie team has yet. I love Kellie but she just can't coach with the big dogs. Hell I even like looking at her on the sidelines as she is pretty but pretty don't win games.

I admit to be excited when Kara's named popped as a candidate though I have heard in the end she did not want the job. But so many people on this board would have already melted down, in a culture war heap, if Kara was the LV coach, owing to statements like this:

Former Lady Vols basketball player Kara Lawson called on the University of Tennessee to examine the lack of diversity in its athletics department leadership on Friday.
Lawson, a member of the board of trustees who also serves on the Special Committee on Athletics, said UT is "behind the times," adding the diversity among UT leadership does not reflect the diversity among athletes.
"I would encourage all members of the board, the chancellors, the president, to look at the diversity or lack thereof of the senior staffs of our athletic departments ... It’s not just striking, there isn’t any," Lawson said during Friday's board meeting.

Personally, I support Kara's call but oh my world the reaction would make the kneeling during the anthem controversy seem quite tame.

Last edited:
I admit to be excited when Kara's named popped as a candidate though I have heard in the end she did not want the job. But so many people on this board would have already melted down, in a culture war heap, if Kara was the LV coach, owing to statements like this:

Personally, I support Kara's call but oh my would the reaction would make the kneeling during the anthem controversy seem quite tame.
Right. Charlottesville was nothing…
Once the pitchforks are put away, it would settle down. I recall a recent FB HC hire that was roundly ridiculed.

Gosh, there was kind of a whole lawsuit over this issue, which the women's team won. Maybe you should correct the courts and the arbitrator because you obviously cannot be wrong.

PolitiFact - Does the U.S. women’s soccer team bring in more revenue but get paid less than the men?

Judge approves $24 million equal pay settlement for U.S. women's soccer team

You need to read your own post. I read that same article. Remember, in 2019 there was a Women's World Cup. They of course would bring in more revenue in that year, especially considering that the men missed the 2018. So...in 2017, 2018, and 2019 the men made hardly anything because they failed in qualifications leading up to the cup. However, if you look at this year the men's team made a more than enough to carry the $ for years to come over the women. Which is why the suit worked pre World Cup but wouldn't work now. Might I remind you the women's team lost to the Dallas under 15 boys team.

No, it doesn't make any sense at all. You have said several times now that you consider watching women's basketball to be a grind, even when tbey are "well-coached."

What you haven't even attempted to explain is why you find women's basketball to be so hard to watch. Do you just not like basketball at all? How do you recognize a "well-coached" team vs. the alternative? What are the distinguishing marks of the former, and how does this differ from a well-coached men's team?

If I could understand your aversion to women's basketball, maybe then I could understand. But it sounds as though you just don't like the sport (which causes one to wonder how many of Summitt's games you watched). What were the "well-coached" aspect of Summitt's teams in the games you could bring yourself to watch?

I don't care much for soccer or golf, either, but that applies to both men's and women's divisions.

No, it doesn't make any sense at all. You have said several times now that you consider watching women's basketball to be a grind, even when tbey are "well-coached."

What you haven't even attempted to explain is why you find women's basketball to be so hard to watch. Do you just not like basketball at all? How do you recognize a "well-coached" team vs. the alternative? What are the distinguishing marks of the former, and how does this differ from a well-coached men's team?

If I could understand your aversion to women's basketball, maybe then I could understand. But it sounds as though you just don't like the sport (which causes one to wonder how many of Summitt's games you watched). What were the "well-coached" aspect of Summitt's teams in the games you could bring yourself to watch?

I don't care much for soccer or golf, either, but that applies to both men's and women's divisions.
Why are you debating with A drive by poster over WBB?

VN Store

Back