Bad hire

Or maybe money didn't have anything to do with what happened at Georgia.
I have lived in South Georgia for 10 years. To a man every Georgia fan I met was over Richt, yes the fan bases support started dwindling and so did the money, so they went out and took a chance. I don’t know if they got lucky or if they knew smart would be good. But to answer your question Absolutely yes!! Their fanbase was done with Richt and the admin knew it. Wasn’t really my point but if that’s what you want to talk about fine.

Nothing wrong with showing confidence to a bunch of young kids. I'm glad we finally got a coach with a set!

Reactions: FïreBall
I can’t argue with people like you. You miss the entire point and start arguing about something else. I’m just not going to do it.

I’m other words, I’m not going to argue with someone who doesn’t agree with me because it doesn’t suit my specific standards.

Firing coaches early in the process does absolutely nothing unless you want to continue to set back the program even further.

Good coaches don’t want to come to a program who doesn’t put them in a good position to win.

Let's look at the results so far for some other newly hired coaches:

Texas A+M - Jimbo Fisher: 2-2 (0-1 SEC)

Nebraska - Scott Frost: 0-3

UCLA - Chip Kelly: 0-3

Florida State - Willie Taggart 2-2 (0-2 ACC)

Arkansas - Chad Morris 1-3 (0-1 SEC)

Arizona - Kevin Sumlin 2-2 (1-0 PAC12)

And one NFL team just because:
Oakland Raiders - Jon Gruden 0-2

4 of the coaches above were high on the list of many people on this site and their results don't look any better than CJP. Remember that most of these postions come open because a team has had some bad seasons. It's not like CJP showed up to a disciplined and loaded team with on field leaders. I think we saw both some good and poor coaching decisions tonight, but I liked that CJP was willing to take some chances (onside kick, 4th down attempts). Pruitt may turn out to be a bad hire, but lets give him some time and hope that once he has his own players on the field we start winning and he's our coach for a long time. Who would want to go through another coaching search? Do you think people will be knocking down the door to come here to be the 5th coach in 10 years? This is going to be another hard year to be a UT fan, but lets not start burning mattresses just yet.
So if all those teams were good, would tennessee not look like an unorganized hot mess?

Many in here did not want Tee. Because he didn't have head coaching experience. Did not want Mike Leach. Apparently because he was not a "culture" fit here and some people claimed he didn't represent Tennessee values. Whatever that was supposed to mean. You guys did not want Doeren either.

So here we are with Pruitt. And guess what? We need to support him and give him the time he deserves. I swear some of our fans will never be happy.
Somebody with common sense. I couldn't agree more.

Reactions: lifeVol
It’s not just talent, there are talented players on the team. The upperclassmen have been developed terribly by the previous staff. It’s super hard to shake those habits. Pruitt is a different kind of coach, he’s hard nosed, they aren’t used to this. Case in point with Sapp refusing to go into the game.
I remember someone posted online a picture comparison of the 1996 Vols and the Vols of 2016. In 1996, all the players were muscular and looked like gladiators. The team of 2016, on the other hand, only a couple of guys were ripped while most of the other players were scrawny and lacking muscle and girth. That photo says it all on the state of our program.

Reactions: rocketskates
I actually think those calls were a sign of a coach believing in his players enough to give them opportunities to make a play. Or at least willing to find out which players on the roster will meet the challenge. If I’m a player, my coach making aggressive calls puts the onus on me to execute. Personally, I loved the calls. We were getting hit in the mouth and Pruitt was giving our guys every chance to hit back. I saw what felt like a curse of bad luck combined with poor execution. Regardless I love our Vols and will support them all my days.

Great post!

Wish I could give it 1000 likes.

Reactions: Mccage
I’m other words, I’m not going to argue with someone who doesn’t agree with me because it doesn’t suit my specific standards.

Firing coaches early in the process does absolutely nothing unless you want to continue to set back the program even further.

Good coaches don’t want to come to a program who doesn’t put them in a good position to win.
Read my post and then his, it’s not because we disagree, it’s because we aren’t on the same page with what we are even arguing about chief.

This site should be shut down , you people are pathetic. You are not UT fans

Hope all you negative crazies get ass cancer. Did you really think this would turn over night really?

It takes time , we need jimmies and joes like I have never seen before. Either give Pruitt a couple of years or go cheer for someone else.

And go now
like what you said except for the ass cancers part

Reactions: lifeVol
Great post!

Wish I could give it 1000 likes.

I'm retired now and have breakfast with other old veterans and such and it's funny we are all 100% behind Pruitt. The reason is simple, you give a man a chance! Anyone on here thinking instant gratification has never
been thrown in the fire. On the other hand my grandkids want to fire him now but they still ask Grandpa for money go figure.

Since we've had these OLine issues I've been wanting to see our QB's do some roll-out passing and this is the 3rd year. UT, it seems, is stuck on trying to run the ball behind a poor blocking line and it doesn't make sense to me. I knew before this game started that UF had good DB's who play press coverage and every DC in the SEC knows that JG is going to try and find MC. We have at least 9 receivers that we could rotate and run their DB's ragged. UT is bland offensively and without innovation and our 1st team receivers are still having problems getting separation.
Rolling out,IMO, is easier on our lineman while at the same time harder on pursuing dlinemen. Simply having your QB dropping back to the same place and trying to utilize timing routes isn't working well becauses defenses can easily key-in on it if you don't have any variation. We need an offensive guru to complement our defensive minded coach. UT was actually shooting itself in the foot by running the ball because the clock kept running. Factor in that UF's DB's weren't turning around to find the ball on the deep routes. A pass that is a little under-thrown and our receiver sees it...all he has to do is stop and the DB is going to interfere with him or we'll make the catch. When down by 21 I'm going to almost abandon the run if I really want to win the game because we weren't getting significant results. UF has a not-so-good OLine and our poor DLine was getting penetration and stopping UF a lot of times so I see no reason not to open it up and try to make up points that our offense gave away.
They really needed to run some, to try and open up some room to pass. If they know we're not going to run they can do whatever they want. I wouldve liked to see less running, maybe only one down a series and do some short passes instead but we had to try and mix it up some.

I'm retired now and have breakfast with other old veterans and such and it's funny we are all 100% behind Pruitt. The reason is simple, you give a man a chance! Anyone on here thinking instant gratification has never
been thrown in the fire. On the other hand my grandkids want to fire him now but they still ask Grandpa for money go figure.

I love it!

My Dad and Mom are in their 90’s and part of the Greatest Generation!

Not all but most of today’s “younger generation” should be known as the SOFTEST generation! They want everything NOW. Sad to say, it don’t work that way.

The need for instant gratification...I blame video gaming and skittles.

He might have been a bad hire but it's all relative. He was the best bad hire there was at the time, I guess.
The accountability for how we ended up in that scenario is where we need to focus, for long term results, and it isn't on coaches.

Reactions: VolinMC

VN Store

Back