Backyard Bird Watchers

Great blue heron eggs are pale blue, plus their nests are almost always in trees, Maybe another heron or egret?
True but there have been great egret sightings this year and a confirmed mating pair in East Tennessee. Turkey doesn't make sense. The only other species that makes sense is Canada Goose but I'm pretty sure their eggs are speckled

Reactions: StarRaider
I think it's a turkey nest. A goose nest would be feathered. Turkeys lay on the ground in early spring, this nest is old.

I think it's a turkey nest. A goose nest would be feathered. Turkeys lay on the ground in early spring, this nest is old.
I’m 60 and I don’t ever recall seeing a turkey in the wild until about 15-20 years back. Now I see them regularly, crossing roads and occasionally in residential areas. One lives on our property in Walland. I read an article saying when Teddy Roosevelt was president (1901-1909) there were only 30K wild turkeys left in the US and today there are over 7 million. Sandhills cranes were almost extinct in the early 1900’s and are now so numerous that hunting has been resumed. Everything in our world isn’t the doom & gloom being pitched by the climate folks

Newbie to the thread, but I got a UT hummingbird feeder and am now obsessed with these birds. Within 24 hours, they were wearing it out, and they will feed with us sitting 8 feet away on the upstairs patio.

They're fun to watch. I love how territorial they are when it comes to other hummingbirds, but a lone wasp will chase them away from the feeder.

They're fun to watch. I love how territorial they are when it comes to other hummingbirds, but a lone wasp will chase them away from the feeder.
I believe I've only seen females so far. I had never seen one land, but they wear that syrup out. I was amazed when I Googled their cool nests. I assume there are some in our nearby evergreens.

Hummingbirds are possessive of rich food sources like feeders in the Fall, when they are preparing for their long flights to the northern coast of South America. In the Spring, when they have completed the long flight across the gulf and are heading to their breeding territories, they will peaceably feed from the same source, together.

Hummingbirds are possessive of rich food sources like feeders in the Fall, when they are preparing for their long flights to the northern coast of South America. In the Spring, when they have completed the long flight across the gulf and are heading to their breeding territories, they will peaceably feed from the same source, together.
😳 I’m a hummingbird?

Reactions: VolNExile
I’m 60 and I don’t ever recall seeing a turkey in the wild until about 15-20 years back. Now I see them regularly, crossing roads and occasionally in residential areas. One lives on our property in Walland. I read an article saying when Teddy Roosevelt was president (1901-1909) there were only 30K wild turkeys left in the US and today there are over 7 million. Sandhills cranes were almost extinct in the early 1900’s and are now so numerous that hunting has been resumed. Everything in our world isn’t the doom & gloom being pitched by the climate folks
Look at "State of TN Turkey population plan". We've come from extinction because of TWRA.
When I was a kid 50-60s you never saw them in east TN.

We drove by 7-8 big turkeys in a field near a neighborhood in Louisville coming back from the air show yesterday.
We have them in our yards near Percy Priest lake in Nashville.
I saw 3-4 turkeys and a peacock running together about a 2 miles from our home about 2-3 years ago.

My understanding is the population is falling again.

We have them in our yards near Percy Priest lake in Nashville.
I saw 3-4 turkeys and a peacock running together about a 2 miles from our home about 2-3 years ago.

My understanding is the population is falling again.
This is from my front porch this past spring, two or three toms and five or so hens.
Turkeys.jpg

we have literally hundreds in the neighborhood. TWRA has been trapping some and relocation for the past few springs to try and control the population.

Our feeders are back to just a few hummers now, after last week when there were 20 to 30 buzzing around the feeders.

Reactions: Tin Man

VN Store

Back