Backyard Bird Watchers

walkenvol

We live on the lake in Ooltewah and enjoy all the varieties of birds that live on and fish in the waters all year long from Osprey to Sandhill cranes. Most days a giant blue heron or 2 with walk the sea wall and dock looking for fish, but yesterday we were drinking coffee on the porch and noticed a heron walking from the waters edge towards our home which was very unusual. It came up to a low retaining wall and struck its head with the speed of a snake and snatched up one of the many chipmunks living around. Immediately flew about 200’ to the waters edge then performed a weird contortion to swallow the chipmunk whole! We’ve lived there for 34 years and I’ve never seen a heron eat anything but fish

K-town Vol Fan

Blood Runneth Orange
Yes, 100% bad idea.
Lol I decided against it. Instead I found some worms and set them on a table near the nest. She didn't take them.

That being said the babies are now 10 days old, getting stronger every day. The nest is right in front of small window on the door, so we watch her come and go with food throughout the day. The way the fecal sacs work is just amazing. I'm just a casual, I didnt know about that. Its also very cool trying to see what she's bringing them. I've seen lots of small spiders.

UT_VOLS13

Lab Rat
Lol I decided against it. Instead I found some worms and set them on a table near the nest. She didn't take them.

That being said the babies are now 10 days old, getting stronger every day. The nest is right in front of small window on the door, so we watch her come and go with food throughout the day. The way the fecal sacs work is just amazing. I'm just a casual, I didnt know about that. Its also very cool trying to see what she's bringing them. I've seen lots of small spiders.

Very cool to watch them feed the little ones. They(mom and dad) go back and forth all day feeding the chicks.

Rishvol

Well-Known Member -StoVol

Mealworm or sunflower seeds are good for Carolina Wrens

Carl Pickens

For the third time over the last couple of years, I have found one very large hatched egg at the base of a tree in my yard. They’ve been slightly larger than a XL egg from the grocer. No real signs of a nest…. Just a recently hatched egg. Any ideas what kind of bird this could be?

Tin Man

Dirt's Childhood Playmate
Certain herons, ducks, and geese have white eggs larger than those of common chickens. Some birds remove egg shells well away from their nests to discourage discovery by predators. Perhaps, an explanation may be found among this information.

Juanita

What are you up to?
I said I'd try to get a pic of the goldfinches on the dried poppy heads at Mom's. There were 2 males and a female when we were out today. They are so skittish! They'd fly off every time I tried to get close. I blew up the pic best I could. Male above the coreopsis. Mom said she's counted 8 or 9 feeding at one time.

1655594800253.png

VolNExile

Unencumbered by the thought process
I said I'd try to get a pic of the goldfinches on the dried poppy heads at Mom's. There were 2 males and a female when we were out today. They are so skittish! They'd fly off every time I tried to get close. I blew up the pic best I could. Male above the coreopsis. Mom said she's counted 8 or 9 feeding at one time.

View attachment 465275
Finally found him! Nearly went blind in the attempt. 🤪

VN Store