Backup QB poll.

Which QB wins the backup role?

• Total voters
Maurer is best QB on roster right now that we have seen. If kid could have stayed healthy he would have been entrenched as no. 1 without debate.

I respectfully disagree.

He’s got some talent but I don’t think he’s an SEC level QB.

He has the traits to be a good QB at another school, just not here.

I think

1. JG
2. Maurer
3. Hill
4. Shrout
RS: Bailey, Holliday

I think Bailey redshirts unless he comes in and just completely separated himself. With that awesome rule, we can still get him in some cupcakes/blowouts.

My dark horse is Kasim Hill. He was a 4-star who had injuries in his two years on the field. His stats weren't impressive but he was a FR& RS FR playing for Maryland.

I respectfully disagree.

I agree for the most part. He made a lot of dumb inconsistent throws but he flashed some really good things as well. That's expected from a true true freshman. I believe if he learned how to take care of the ball better and things slowed down for him, he could be very serviceable for us. I don't think his ceiling is as high as HB but winning games is all that matters.

My thought process is if JG doesn't light it up then we'll see Maurer or Hill. If they suck it up we'll see Bailey

I expect Bailey to take over the reigns once JG starts sputtering again.
Don’t think without spring practice Bailey won’t be ready until third or fourth game of season. Haven’t looked at schedule, but you want him starting against OK or FL?

I think

1. JG
2. Maurer
3. Hill
4. Shrout
RS: Bailey, Holliday

I think Bailey redshirts unless he comes in and just completely separated himself. With that awesome rule, we can still get him in some cupcakes/blowouts.

My dark horse is Kasim Hill. He was a 4-star who had injuries in his two years on the field. His stats weren't impressive but he was a FR& RS FR playing for Maryland.
Hill not the answer as starter. Bailey answer until we find next answer.

I respectfully disagree.

What traits do you think are missing?

His arm and accuracy are SEC level. He is the most mobile of the UT QB's with a serious chance of winning the job. He's 6'4" and should add 10-20 lbs this offseason. Physically, I don't think there's anything he's missing.

He is decisive and quick to get the ball out. IMHO, you would rather rein a guy like that back than try to prod someone who is too cautious and slow.

The specific things I would list that determine whether he is or is not an SEC caliber QB have to do with his decision making and mental development.

-He makes too many mistakes. Many freshmen do... but some never stop.

-He has to learn to keep reading the D. Several times last year you could tell he decided where to go pre-snap and then didn't account for post snap movement by the D.

-He also has to learn to manage the O including the run game. You could tell that he wanted to throw it. He seldom handed the ball off on RPO's and defenses began to notice. I have not found a way to back it up statistically but my perception was that the run game overall was managed much better by JG. No surprise with the difference in experience... but it is absolutely critical that BM makes a big leap there. If JG has a big advantage managing the run game then Maurer has little chance of starting.

I think Maurer's window is this year. If he develops and is good enough then I think JG is vulnerable. I think JG is at or very near his ceiling. If Maurer's ceiling is in fact higher and he improves then he can pass JG. If he isn't talented enough to pass a deficient QB like JG this year then I don't think he can hold off the kind of talent UT is bringing in behind him. I guess it comes down essentially to where Maurer's ceiling is and whether he's put the work in.

Last edited:
Reactions: MemphisVol77
Bailey will transfer if redshirted.!

No way Bailey can start without having a spring camp. Peyton would not have done that except for an emergency. We are not in emergency mode.

Best Bailey could do is take the starting job away from JG about 6 or 7th game.

No way Bailey can start without having a spring camp. Peyton would not have done that except for an emergency. We are not in emergency mode.

If he rises about Maurer and Shrout then that's true.

A lot of the debates around here are rhetorical. We pretty much know what we have in JG. Some hold out hope that he can take a massive leap forward. A few think he is good enough as is. But most of us understand he's a 2nd tier QB that appears to have topped out.

We don't know what we have with the rest. We see talent. But we can't really tell if or when it will transition to the field... or who will ultimately become the best. I think we have three guys with all the physical tools you need to become an outstanding SEC QB.

If he rises about Maurer and Shrout then that's true.

A lot of the debates around here are rhetorical. We pretty much know what we have in JG. Some hold out hope that he can take a massive leap forward. A few think he is good enough as is. But most of us understand he's a 2nd tier QB that appears to have topped out.

We don't know what we have with the rest. We see talent. But we can't really tell if or when it will transition to the field... or who will ultimately become the best. I think we have three guys with all the physical tools you need to become an outstanding SEC QB.
Pruitt must be the dumbest coach in the country, to think, he continues to run a guy who has maxed out, a QB who can't make quick decisions and can't lead receivers open and isn't going to get any better when all the while he's got 2 or 3 guys sitting on the bench capable of doing just that. Why would Pruitt continue to play him and why hasn't Pruitt gotten rid of him? Why has Pruitt when in tough situations where we've needed good QB play in order to win, why does he continue to go to JG when we've got 2-3 others just as capable as you say? You must think Pruitt is an idiot.

CJP choose safe and experienced its that simple....once BM went down and came back rusty he went safe...couldnt risk losing against KY or Vandy...

I believe we are in emergency mode at Qb if the goal is to match or exceed last year’s win total.

Reactions: cgrish
Pruitt must be the dumbest coach in the country, to think, he continues to run a guy who has maxed out, a QB who can't make quick decisions and can't lead receivers open and isn't going to get any better when all the while he's got 2 or 3 guys sitting on the bench capable of doing just that.
No. But your arguments and sophomoric attempts at evasion are pretty stupid.

You keep trying red herrings and strawmen... but they're pathetic. Pruitt had 3 choices. A subpar RS Jr, a true Fr who wasn't ready, and a RS Fr whose development has not been very fast. So... he invested a lot of time trying to improve the RSJr. When that failed... he threw the Fr out there who likely would have started the rest of the season had he not gotten hurt. Essentially by necessity, he went back to the RSJr... who gave just a glimmer of hope and then sank back into his old self against two weak opponents at the end of the season.

We've covered this ground before. Most or all of it you've even acknowledged at one time or another.

Why would Pruitt continue to play him and why hasn't Pruitt gotten rid of him? Why has Pruitt when in tough situations where we've needed good QB play in order to win, why does he continue to go to JG when we've got 2-3 others just as capable as you say? You must think Pruitt is an idiot.
Well, that's even more stupid.

One, he isn't playing anyone right now. There are no games.

Two, if you don't understand that most players have a exponential curve of development where they increase the most early on and then flatten out late in their career... then no one can help you. The others have talent. The questions are how much and how quickly it develops.

Three, no. I think Pruitt is a pretty smart guy. He took a subpar RSJr and two Fr and found a way to win some games. He managed that situation about as well as he could.

You... not so much based on this post and RIDICULOUS argument. I mean honestly I'm embarrassed for you.

We all don't know about Maurer's health status with the concussion issues. JG will start but it's really any ones guess on the backups. JMO.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
There is potential at qb in all of the backups. The problem is that they have not produced on the field when given the chance.

I think Pruitt has done the right thing. Keep JG in until more consistency is shown by the others. That is a logical approach that has resulted in wins.

Reactions: k-town_king
We all don't know about Maurer's health status with the concussion issues.
That is a very relevant point. As I've pointed out to a certain poster repeatedly, some guys are just more susceptible to concussions. We're all "made" different in various respects and some of those innate characteristics make us more or less prone to concussions. If what he experienced last year is a trend and not a fluke... then he doesn't have a football future anywhere.

Reactions: Chippo
That is a very relevant point. As I've pointed out to a certain poster repeatedly, some guys are just more susceptible to concussions. We're all "made" different in various respects and some of those innate characteristics make us more or less prone to concussions. If what he experienced last year is a trend and not a fluke... then he doesn't have a football future anywhere.
I've thought about this myself. I'm more so hoping that he was just unlucky last season. Its very possible he only got hurt in a wrong place wrong time kind of thing, as opposed to he just gets hurt easy. Only time will tell, tho.

Maurer is best QB on roster right now that we have seen. If kid could have stayed healthy he would have been entrenched as no. 1 without debate.
Smokin Vol is right. if you believe that you must be smoking some strong stuff.

Throwing all those ints and being under 47% passing was not an indication of someone being the long term starter.

Reactions: DustyRockSolid
There is potential at qb in all of the backups. The problem is that they have not produced on the field when given the chance.

I think Pruitt has done the right thing. Keep JG in until more consistency is shown by the others. That is a logical approach that has resulted in wins.

You can't give the majority of the 1st team practice reps to JG, and zero trash time for the freshman backup QB, and then start the freshman backup QB and not expect there to be issues and growing pains.

Pruitt's mistake was not having an actual QB competition in spring of 2019, and instead anointing JG starter, and relegating the development of the rest of the QBs to the backburner; the team paid dearly for that mistake.

You can't give the majority of the 1st team practice reps to JG, and zero trash time for the freshman backup QB, and then start the freshman backup QB and not expect there to be issues and growing pains.

Pruitt's mistake was not having an actual QB competition in spring of 2019, and instead anointing JG starter, and relegating the development of the rest of the QBs to the backburner; the team paid dearly for that mistake.
Thank you!

Reactions: cgrish
I think JG begins camp as the starter and depending on what happens there he may remain the starter but I do believe if he continues his holding the ball too long, not reading defenses at all, over throwing, under throwing and the rest of his "hyde" side antics he'll be replaced especially if it's remotely close to begin with. However if he puts it together and plays like he played in some of our key late season games to get bowl eligible it's his job no doubt. I believe that's why I get so frustrated with him the talent is there we've seen it, he just can't get out of his own way at times. I'm rooting for him, he's a good kid and truly loves UT, I hope he does big things this fall
Go Vols!!

VN Store

Back