Backup QB poll.

Which QB wins the backup role?

• Total voters
After the Bama sneak decision, and similar play changes throughout the season, CJP putting JG back in when we're down is clear evidence Pruitt sees him as the best qb on the roster. If he had greater confidence in the others, one would start (and finish).

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
1st String-Jarrett Guarantano

2nd String-Harrison Bailey

3rd String-Brian Maurer

4th String-Kasim Hill

5th String-JT Shrout

Hopefully this is just the chart for the first game. We’ve all seen too much if jg. He’s a good kid and says all the right things. But when the bright lights come on the game is just too fast for him. Some guys can remain calm and go through progressions. But jg just isn’t that guy. He panics when there’s any pressure, is way too quick to check down, and is off target more times than not. It’s time for someone else to get a legit shot. I hope it’s bailey. That guy has played at the absolute highest possible level of football prior to college. He’s as ready as any we’ve had come in lately

I think you flip Maurer and Bailey and this list is correct. If there would have been a spring practice season, then maybe Bailey is the backup. But with only 2 spring practices occurring, he really will likely be a RS candidate and Maurer the backup.

If bailey is as good as advertised, he will only be at ut 3 yrs, if he is that good why waste a year? If he is not red shirt him.

I think JG begins camp as the starter and depending on what happens there he may remain the starter but I do believe if he continues his holding the ball too long, not reading defenses at all, over throwing, under throwing and the rest of his "hyde" side antics he'll be replaced especially if it's remotely close to begin with. However if he puts it together and plays like he played in some of our key late season games to get bowl eligible it's his job no doubt. I believe that's why I get so frustrated with him the talent is there we've seen it, he just can't get out of his own way at times. I'm rooting for him, he's a good kid and truly loves UT, I hope he does big things this fall
Go Vols!!
Really good take I think. His toughness has kept him in the mix I feel. I think it's a plus for us to have a 5th year Sr at QB with everyone being grounded all summer. It's possible that Ga, Bama and Ok all start new QBs and all of them as well as Fl are having to replace some dynamic WRs, as are we. Our strength next year is going to be pass defense and I can't see all 4 of those teams having success throwing the football vs our D. If JG can just be serviceable and avoid his 2 or 3 WTH moments a game I think he can have a good year. I also think Trey Smith is our unquestioned leader on the offensive side and that will take some pressure off JG from a leadership role which I think he has struggled a bit with.

Reactions: RockyTop140
I'm thinking the poll question should be worded differently

"who will become the backup QB after the first couple of games?"

"winning" a backup role just doesn't sound right

Charlie Sheen and Trump would be appalled with your using "winning" in this manner

Last edited:
Really good take I think. His toughness has kept him in the mix I feel. I think it's a plus for us to have a 5th year Sr at QB with everyone being grounded all summer. It's possible that Ga, Bama and Ok all start new QBs and all of them as well as Fl are having to replace some dynamic WRs, as are we. Our strength next year is going to be pass defense and I can't see all 4 of those teams having success throwing the football vs our D. If JG can just be serviceable and avoid his 2 or 3 WTH moments a game I think he can have a good year. I also think Trey Smith is our unquestioned leader on the offensive side and that will take some pressure off JG from a leadership role which I think he has struggled a bit with.
So... you're just being argumentative with me for no good reason? This guy's post is essentially what I've said in other posts when you were triggered.

Whoever starts... there will be issues. Maurer or Shrout will make mistakes... and many that JG would not have made. HB is even further behind.

UT needs a run game that can impact games. But to do that... you must have a QB that can burn blitzes with quick reads and anticipate throws. You have to have a guy who consistently leads downfield receivers well to force DC's to keep help back. The things that JG has done poorly have hurt UT and even more so against good opponents.

So... you're just being argumentative with me for no good reason? This guy's post is essentially what I've said in other posts when you were triggered.

Whoever starts... there will be issues. Maurer or Shrout will make mistakes... and many that JG would not have made. HB is even further behind.

UT needs a run game that can impact games. But to do that... you must have a QB that can burn blitzes with quick reads and anticipate throws. You have to have a guy who consistently leads downfield receivers well to force DC's to keep help back. The things that JG has done poorly have hurt UT and even more so against good opponents.
Same old crap spewing from you. I think folks are tired of hearing how we can't win with JG from you guys, maybe you should try another angle and start telling us how we can win with him because that's what we're going to have to do. You say we can't win with him and I believe we can.

Hey look at us agreeing on stuff😀 Good to talk again brother

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
JG has shown he can be solid against the weaker teams on our schedule. The only game I can think of where JG did Well against a good defense was Auburn 2018. Maybe I’m missing some, but it’s hard for me to imagine him being super productive against Florida, Georgia, etc. Maybe it’s not entirely his fault, and this second year in chaneys system will help. If we can establish a very strong run game then I think he can be a good game managing quarterback.

The fact that JG never fully took the job shows that someone else needs to be the QB1. JG will likely start the first couple games and then Harrison Bailey will take over. Maurer gave us a spark at times compared to JG, but he is not elite. Harrison Bailey needs to be the guy soon if Tennessee wants to win more than 7 games.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
The fact that JG never fully took the job shows that someone else needs to be the QB1. JG will likely start the first couple games and then Harrison Bailey will take over. Maurer gave us a spark at times compared to JG, but he is not elite. Harrison Bailey needs to be the guy soon if Tennessee wants to win more than 7 games.
Do you guys even remember that he played the 2nd half of the season with 7 new screws in a hand so broken that he could not even tie his own shoes? I think he did pretty good in playing his part in one of the longest winning streaks in the country. He'll be fine I think.

Do you guys even remember that he played the 2nd half of the season with 7 new screws in a hand so broken that he could not even tie his own shoes? I think he did pretty good in playing his part in one of the longest winning streaks in the country. He'll be fine I think.
He was not good for most of the season. JG was mediocre to bad except for a big game against Missouri where he mostly got his yardage off of deep 50/50 balls to WR high pointing the ball. He lost his job to a true freshman before he got hurt. He was horrible in the bowl game against a far inferior opponent. He has not been close to good enough if we want to win the SEC East. Can he play better? I hope. But we won’t go far with him.

I love Bailey, and I am glad he is a vol. It is, however VERY rare for a true freshman to come in and light it up. Not saying it can not be done. I also hope that it happens.
None of us really know what he is capable of. I think having Chaney as the OC is going to significantly help our QB play going down the road.
Also, I personally believe that JG is going to have a really good season. ( please do not flame me ) I am by no means saying he is going to be all American or even all conference I just happen to believe that this will be his second year with CJC and he should make a huge step.
Just my 2 cents.
I agree with all this but how rare is it really for freshman to come in and do well? I keep thinking back to 2003? When Fulmer started an Ainge/Schaffer freshman combo. CJ Leak, if I remember, was a senior and very OK, if inconsistent. Sound familiar (JG)? It would be almost impossible to convince me that a Bailey/Hill combo until we see which ones hot, is not a better option than JG.

VN Store

Back