Backup QB poll.

Which QB wins the backup role?

• Total voters
The first UT game I went to under the Pruitt era, Shrout started and played well. I think he will be our #2 behind JG come Fall. Does anyone know what game I’m talking about?

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
The first UT game I went to under the Pruitt era, Shrout started and played well. I think he will be our #2 behind JG come Fall. Does anyone know what game I’m talking about?
I think Shrout is a talented kid that needed development from day1 and I believe he has developed nicely to this point. I think he's similar to Trask at Fl in that he probably knows his role as a backup on the roster but works hard enough that he will be ready and serviceable if called upon. I think playbook and experience are the only things holding him back. I think he'll be a graduate transfer candidate once he graduates UT, until then I think he's a big armed big bodied capable backup who just needs experience, I'm just not sure he's going to get it in Knoxville.

Maurer will be the backup. If JG is injured and it's a long-term injury you may see that change and Bailey be the guy, but I don't think there's anything Bailey can do in-season to move up to the #2 slot.
I can certainly see it, I just think JG will play well enough until Bailey is ready.

I think it’s fair to assume, without practice, that the season begins with the depth chart the same way it ended last year.

JG
BM
JTS

HB starts at 4 by default of no practice and JH finds himself buried. I dont think that changes throughout the season and as a result he agrees to move to WR or DB. I think HB beats out JTS for #3 but not sure it’ll be as easy as most think to overtake Maurers spot. Especially if Maurer has a better understanding of the offense than he did last year, which you’d expect to be the case.

I would assume south Carolina. He was 7/11 for 122 yards and a touchdown. That's the only game he played well in.
That was his best game. But the game I’m talking about is UAB. JG eventually came in with his broken thumb and played well, but Shrout got the start and managed the game. I believe we got an early pic 6 and the defense played really well that game.

Here's my opinion/guess

JG starts the season and we struggle early. I think a clunker at USCe brings in Maurer who plays better for a couple of games but gets hurt and that brings in Shrout for a game. Eventually Bailey plays the last 4 games, keeps his redshirt and we end up 8-5.

Assuming JG starts which qb do you think will be our backup?
You've been a pretty good guy. Sorry if I screwed up the discussion you wanted to have. After thinking about it, maybe you wanted to discuss who was the best of the rest without JG in the equation. If so... sorry about that.

You've been a pretty good guy. Sorry if I screwed up the discussion you wanted to have. After thinking about it, maybe you wanted to discuss who was the best of the rest without JG in the equation. If so... sorry about that.
You're good my dude. I'm not gonna get mad about such a trivial matter and I'm sure there ARE some people who think JG ends up being the back up, so putting him up there as an option makes sense if I really want to see how everyone will vote.

Reactions: 1vol8
1st String-Jarrett Guarantano

2nd String-Harrison Bailey

3rd String-Brian Maurer

4th String-Kasim Hill

5th String-JT Shrout

I think you flip Maurer and Bailey and this list is correct. If there would have been a spring practice season, then maybe Bailey is the backup. But with only 2 spring practices occurring, he really will likely be a RS candidate and Maurer the backup.

The more I think about it, the more I start to believe that without spring camp, Bailey only sees the field if JG and Maurer both play really bad. That obviously would be terrible for the team. Hopefully we are good enough to just get Bailey in during mop up time.

I disagree but from what i've saw, Maurer does have the potential to be a solid starting QB at some point. It probably won't be at TN.
Lots of people thought I was "pro-Maurer". I like him. I like Shrout too. I like JG for that matter. The difference between JG and the other two for me is that we know a lot more about him than we do them. His flaws are pretty much what they are. I think he peaked at a level well below what UT needs. I do not know that Maurer or Shrout will ever be what the Vols need but I can still be hopeful that what we don't know will turn out good. Like you say, they have "potential".

I do hope that out of the 3 someone is good enough to pass JG this season. Nothing personal with JG (somewhat personal with some cult-like followers)... I just think his flaws are too much of a liability for UT to be as good as they can be on offense with him as starter.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Maurer will be the backup. If JG is injured and it's a long-term injury you may see that change and Bailey be the guy, but I don't think there's anything Bailey can do in-season to move up to the #2 slot.
Except the fact he is likely may the most talented Qb on the roster. The only thing holding him back is how quickly he matures. Hell, he may be mature day one. I wouldn’t bet against it.

JG lights it up, Bailey redshirts, a number of options run wildcat, nobody ever knows who the back up was.

VN Store

Back