Auburn Postgame Thread

Yves Pons is a freakish athlete but on defense he freelances around ALOT. He gets his blocks here and there but leaves his man wide open a lot.
Yep. He's a great 1v1 defender, but he still struggles with the concept of team defense. Also of note, while he leads the SEC in blocks, I'd guarantee he leads the league in goal trending, as well. Had another 2, today.

Yep. He's a great 1v1 defender, but he still struggles with the concept of team defense. Also of note, while he leads the SEC in blocks, I'd guarantee he leads the league in goal trending, as well. Had another 2, today.
I don't think I heard anything about it, but did he tie CJ Black's school record today? I believe he was two behind entering today's game.

This year would have needed a lot to happened to get to the NCAA. JJJ fully healthy, Turner playing all year.
Very true. We were very close to making the tournament. The losses at Auburn, at South Carolina, and at home against A&M and Memphis should have all been wins but we gave them away. Even different results in 2 of them would have put us in the field IMO.

Pearl's Vol fan base is shrinking. We're beginning to really hate losing to our former coach.

Cant agree more, but face it the SEC and NCAA has allowed the corruption at the schools - Kentucky, NC, Kansas, Auburn, LSU and the Lists goes on and on. Tennessee has any of the violations remotely close to the ones listed above and they are hit with major punishments. I am tired of losing to these type teams that cheat year after year.

cute

Too bad TN couldn't have found the magic, had blown out Barn, and after clearing the bench at around 2:00 with the first wave of redshirts, Pember, and Uros... then the crowd goes berserk as Lamonte Turner makes his way to check in with seconds to go. Instead Bruce and his F'n son take yet another crap on Tennessee. BTW, Bruce's fat daughter couldn't sit her ass down and instead stood most of the game behind the Auburn bench while blocking a lot of the Section 108 ticket holder's views.

Reactions: gainesvol82
I just hate that the high dollar coaches get away with manipulating the part-time refs. Just once I'd like to see every actual foul get called. Auburn strategy, like many of our other SEC opponents is to keep pushing, hacking, and hitting after the fouls pile up and dare the refs to keep blowing their whistles. Auburn was called for 9 fouls to 3 on TN. Pearl then screamed at the refs relentlessly to call the game equally at both ends while pointing out the discrepancy in called fouls. Refs were afraid to continue whistling Barn and make the difference even more one-sided which gave Barn a free pass to hack, push, chop, and grab even more. A few games need to be called with 50 versus 15 foul totals without repercussions to correct this.

CRB's strategy is to limit fouls and to keep the opponent off of the foul line until as late in the half as possible. Pearl is fine with that as it skews the perceived lack of fair treatment by the refs and staying off of the foul line isn't as big of a problem when you're a poor foul shooting team.

When the foul total is 3 to 9 in your opponent's favor and you've been getting the refs to hear your complaints, then you can start sending your best free throw shooting guards into the paint and expect the refs are now looking to call fouls to even up the foul totals. Refs need to be trained to tune out guys like Pearl demanding that they even up the called fouls. TN teaches their players to NOT foul. Pearl teaches his players to gain an advantage by disrupting dribblers and pushing smaller post players away from the basket. Only calling entire games by the rules and allowing huge foul total discrepancies will end this type of garbage basketball. It's amazing that by playing high disciplined, low fouling defenses puts that team at a disadvantage.

Refs and the SEC administration need to fix this but they probably won't touch it as long as the offices are in Birmingham. Physical basketball is always the style of play that the very best Alabama teams have embraced.

I think it can be both, and still result in a loss to a team who is a bad matchup. But, there is no way this team is good enough to overcome that deficit at Rupp and win by 8, then come home and lose to a less talented Auburn team by 23. Today's loss had a lot to do with effort and focus.
I had made another post about us in the SECT last year. We put our best effort and beat KY just to lose to Auburn next game. Deja Vu? Talented bench or not, KY and AU just are that good

Reactions: feathersax
Doughty was hitting every shot, defense or NO. Just one of those days.

As I said in another post, I didn't see the game but that's when you start bumping him off his spots. The guy hasn't shot that well in like 20 games. They are generally undisciplined on the court.

Just checking the box score it appears Pons and James pulled disappearing acts again. That can't happen but that is those two guys game right now. Pons is also a bad rebounder for someone with his athleticism. We have no scoring punch from the bench outside of Johnson. And we can't bring Plasvic in to play defense because he'll have a breakdown.

1. Zero defensive pride today. We let AU do whatever they wanted. We left open shooters on the perimeter, AU got to the rim whenever they wanted, we made them earn nothing. We allowed the worst 3-pt shooting road team in the conference to shoot 14-32 from 3 and 50% overall.

2. Zero pride in our rebounding. Outrebounded 42-26, and gave up 12 ORebs and second chances to a team we couldn't stop on most of their first chances.

3. Auburn is a bad matchup for us, and our absence of playmakers with the ball in their hands is alarming. Every point we score is earned. Pons on a fadeaway, Fulk on a spin move with a runner or a turnaround rising jumper...nothing comes easy. That is a real problem.
Wish Barnes would play a zone defense. With our length I really think it could be effective but he is just too stubborn. He would prefer to see our guards not be able to stay in front of their man and drive to the basket

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I just hate that the high dollar coaches get away with manipulating the part-time refs. Just once I'd like to see every actual foul get called. Auburn strategy, like many of our other SEC opponents is to keep pushing, hacking, and hitting after the fouls pile up and dare the refs to keep blowing their whistles. Auburn was called for 9 fouls to 3 on TN. Pearl then screamed at the refs relentlessly to call the game equally at both ends while pointing out the discrepancy in called fouls. Refs were afraid to continue whistling Barn and make the difference even more one-sided which gave Barn a free pass to hack, push, chop, and grab even more. A few games need to be called with 50 versus 15 foul totals without repercussions to correct this.

CRB's strategy is to limit fouls and to keep the opponent off of the foul line until as late in the half as possible. Pearl is fine with that as it skews the perceived lack of fair treatment by the refs and staying off of the foul line isn't as big of a problem when you're a poor foul shooting team.

When the foul total is 3 to 9 in your opponent's favor and you've been getting the refs to hear your complaints, then you can start sending your best free throw shooting guards into the paint and expect the refs are now looking to call fouls to even up the foul totals. Refs need to be trained to tune out guys like Pearl demanding that they even up the called fouls. TN teaches their players to NOT foul. Pearl teaches his players to gain an advantage by disrupting dribblers and pushing smaller post players away from the basket. Only calling entire games by the rules and allowing huge foul total discrepancies will end this type of garbage basketball. It's amazing that by playing high disciplined, low fouling defenses puts that team at a disadvantage.

Refs and the SEC administration need to fix this but they probably won't touch it as long as the offices are in Birmingham. Physical basketball is always the style of play that the very best Alabama teams have embraced.
40 fouls is pretty low for an SEC game this season. Personally I think we left it all at Rupp. Showed in the rebounding and D. Happens when you're only 6 deep.

“I want Tennessee to win three or four more and get in the NCAA Tournament. Rick Barnes is one of the best coaches in the country and he’s done so much with this team. They just don’t have a true point guard."
Auburn coach Bruce Pearl

40 fouls is pretty low for an SEC game this season. Personally I think we left it all at Rupp. Showed in the rebounding and D. Happens when you're only 6 deep.

Yes. I didn't notice the refs ignoring fouls nearly as much yesterday as they had in previous games. Shooting and rebounding were bigger problems. But I just hate the trend. Loud mouthed coaches should not be influencing rules interpretation. If one team keeps fouling then the refs need to keep calling them. What is really frustrating is how often players get in early foul trouble over touch fouls and by the middle of the second half players get mauled and fouls aren't called because the refs have been intimidated.

Doughty was hitting every shot, defense or NO. Just one of those days.

Seems we tend to have those when there's something of significance on the line more often than not. This was the one we had to have for any shot at the NCAAT, and we just came out and laid the proverbial egg at home and on senior day. Of course, we had a few games this year that we could have and should have wont that really nuked the season, but it's still an outcome that many older UT fans are somewhat accustomed to. I call it Tenn Cup for a reason.

Having said that I think this team is where I thought they'd be considering the losses from the roster and the talent level of those who remained. Figured them to be a 16-18 win/NIT type team. They are who I thought they were. Hope they get a shot at the NIT, but I'm ready to turn the page on the season and look to next year.

Reactions: feathersax
Pearl has completely revamped the AU bb program And has them exactly where WE want to be. Gotta give credit where credit is due

He skates on thin ice and hasn't fallen through yet. Auburn is toast if the NCAA and SEC ever start enforcing rules. Right now it's very rewarding for coaches to ignore the rules because the cost/benefit ratio is very favorable.

He skates on thin ice and hasn't fallen through yet. Auburn is toast if the NCAA and SEC ever start enforcing rules. Right now it's very rewarding for coaches to ignore the rules because the cost/benefit ratio is very favorable.
Don't you think if the NCAA had even just a little on Bruce Pearl they would have hung him by now? I don't like Pearl but there is no denying he's one of the better coaches in the country and 2nd best in the conference behind Coach Cal.

Don't you think if the NCAA had even just a little on Bruce Pearl they would have hung him by now? I don't like Pearl but there is no denying he's one of the better coaches in the country and 2nd best in the conference behind Coach Cal.

I'd say he is better than Cal when it comes to game planning/ in game adjustments.

Reactions: tnvols72

No. Once the violations with UNC's fake academics came to light the NCAA changed course to protect their billion dollar revenue stream. They can no longer hypocritically let the proven blue blood cheaters be given lighter penalties than the rest. So coaches like Pearl will exploit the system and earn their millions as the NCAA looks the other way while collecting their billions.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
No. Once the violations with UNC's fake academics came to light the NCAA changed course to protect their billion dollar revenue stream. They can no longer hypocritically let the proven blue blood cheaters be given lighter penalties than the rest. So coaches like Pearl will exploit the system and earn their millions as the NCAA looks the other way while collecting their billions.

You think Rick Barnes is squeaky clean?

Reactions: Big time vol
I'm pretty disgusted by the performance. And not showing up against Auburn is getting old. And this is now 2 years in a row we've followed up a big win over UK with a no-show against AU, and both times with big things on the line. That has to stop.
Nice overreaction. Two mutually exclusive events, but hey, you're right to your ignorance

VN Store

Back