Auburn Postgame Thread

cncchris33

1. Zero defensive pride today. We let AU do whatever they wanted. We left open shooters on the perimeter, AU got to the rim whenever they wanted, we made them earn nothing. We allowed the worst 3-pt shooting road team in the conference to shoot 14-32 from 3 and 50% overall.

2. Zero pride in our rebounding. Outrebounded 42-26, and gave up 12 ORebs and second chances to a team we couldn't stop on most of their first chances.

3. Auburn is a bad matchup for us, and our absence of playmakers with the ball in their hands is alarming. Every point we score is earned. Pons on a fadeaway, Fulk on a spin move with a runner or a turnaround rising jumper...nothing comes easy. That is a real problem.

I'm pretty disgusted by the performance. And not showing up against Auburn is getting old. And this is now 2 years in a row we've followed up a big win over UK with a no-show against AU, and both times with big things on the line. That has to stop.

1. Zero defensive pride today. We let AU do whatever they wanted. We left open shooters on the perimeter, AU got to the rim whenever they wanted, we made them earn nothing. We allowed the worst 3-pt shooting road team in the conference to shoot 14-32 from 3 and 50% overall.

2. Zero pride in our rebounding. Outrebounded 42-26, and gave up 12 ORebs and second chances to a team we couldn't stop on most of their first chances.

3. Auburn is a bad matchup for us, and our absence of playmakers with the ball in their hands is alarming. Every point we score is earned. Pons on a fadeaway, Fulk on a spin move with a runner or a turnaround rising jumper...nothing comes easy. That is a real problem.
You summed it up nicely... the defense was awful. They beat us off the dribble and they came down with all of the 50/50 rebounds. Bowden played really well in the first meeting with them, but today - not so much. That rebounding stat bothers me the most... some of it is our lack of length and athleticism inside, and some of it was just looking lethargic. We followed up our best performance of the season, with one of our worst and in our last home game of the season, it shouldn't have been that way. Very disappointing.

NIT, for sure. I’m actually shocked how we can look like two different teams when a team wants to drive the ball. We are missing obd’s, BAD.

Reactions: turnuptheVOLtage
Well, if we gotta go 1-1 in our last two, it went the way I would have preferred.

I agree, and I think part of the problem is Auburn, even with Pearl, still isn't seen as a big game or a rival to us. I'll say it again, I hate that the SEC scheduled Auburn right after UK because UK is still the team we want to beat.

It would be like us beating Alabama and then losing to Ole Miss; yeah it sucks we lost to Ole Miss because it's our former coach Kiffin but I'd still rather beat Alabama. At some point though we're going to have to start treating Auburn like a real rival, at least until Pearl leaves.

I sort of agree with you, but which is it? #1 and #2, or is it #3? I want to believe it is simply #3. We have trouble with their athleticism at every position.

Pearl obviously found a way to have his team up for this game. You have to give him props for that.

We won 2 out of the last 3, and they were all against good teams. Now, we have an extra day or two to rest and prepare. I think we need to win 3 to have a chance, and win the tourney to guarantee it (duh).

I wonder if the AU players can pass a college course on their own.They can shoot a BB but I can't see the other!

I sort of agree with you, but which is it? #1 and #2, or is it #3? I want to believe it is simply #3. We have trouble with their athleticism at every position.

Pearl obviously found a way to have his team up for this game. You have to give him props for that.

We won 2 out of the last 3, and they were all against good teams. Now, we have an extra day or two to rest and prepare. I think we need to win 3 to have a chance, and win the tourney to guarantee it (duh).
I think it can be both, and still result in a loss to a team who is a bad matchup. But, there is no way this team is good enough to overcome that deficit at Rupp and win by 8, then come home and lose to a less talented Auburn team by 23. Today's loss had a lot to do with effort and focus.

I think it can be both, and still result in a loss to a team who is a bad matchup. But, there is no way this team is good enough to overcome that deficit at Rupp and win by 8, then come home and lose to a less talented Auburn team by 23. Today's loss had a lot to do with effort and focus.
There is no doubt that the best time to play Tennessee, is right after the Kentucky game. This was a carbon copy of the SEC Tournament Championship from last year... which also followed a big win over Ky.

Frustrating that we are so up and down. Just another bad matchup. Hopefully with the added personnel next year they'll be consistent. We probably had a few more wins this year because there are some bad coaches that can't exploit obvious deficiencies in TN's game. Missouri and the lower level pre-conference opponents.

Shooting was odd today. TN had so many pretty good looks that just wouldn't stay in the hoop. And Barn was just lighting it up.

The future is bright. A nice run in the SECT and NIT would make me feel a lot better about 2019-20.

Onward and upward.

We’ve seemed to play half asleep in every noon game we’ve had this year. Not sure why they had to have us slated as 1st game of the day

Unfortunately I still like Bruce Pearl, he was the reason I started watching basketball in the first place. Still think him getting show cause for a junior at his BBQ with all the **** that goes on in college basketball (Louisville, Syracuse and North Carolina) was the worst call ever by the NCAA.I know he lied, wow, sure glad none of us ever did.That is so much worse than hookers for high school kids and having college kids getting credit for classes they never took for years on end. I don't think there is any group I have less respect for than the NCAA. I was sure hoping the 16 team league would happen and the end of the NCAA rules committee, that would have been worth celebrating.

Unfortunately I still like Bruce Pearl, he was the reason I started watching basketball in the first place. Still think him getting show cause for a junior at his BBQ with all the **** that goes on in college basketball (Louisville, Syracuse and North Carolina) was the worst call ever by the NCAA.I know he lied, wow, sure glad none of us ever did.That is so much worse than hookers for high school kids and having college kids getting credit for classes they never took for years on end. I don't think there is any group I have less respect for than the NCAA. I was sure hoping the 16 team league would happen and the end of the NCAA rules committee, that would have been worth celebrating.
Bruce Pearl didn't get a show-cause for having a Junior at a BBQ. Please stop perpetuating this fallacy.

Bruce Pearl didn't get a show-cause for having a Junior at a BBQ. Please stop perpetuating this fallacy.

I also wish people would stop acting like he was perfect when he was here as a coach. He wore the label of "can't win the big one" until he made the Elite 8. People forget all this with their nostalgia glasses.

VN Store

Back