Attendance

It was the latter. Happens every time. Amazed at how stupid those fans are.
To hell with being warm, lets get our freeze our asses off,while the team is getting theirs kicked. Go look at game prior late 90s. The stands weren't a sea of orange like you see most of the time now.

Reactions: CampBlount
To hell with being warm, lets get our freeze our asses off,while the team is getting theirs kicked. Go look at game prior late 90s. The stands weren't a sea of orange like you see most of the time now.

It wasn’t cold.

Sunny, no wind.

Perfect day.

If it’s truly cold, I get it. I’m not going to freeze for anyone.

I have a hard time believing that folks can afford a ticket to a game at Neyland, but can't afford an orange pullover. I saw plenty of black around me...and a lot of it was black UT gear. In fact, I'm not sure I saw any that wasn't. So if money is the issue (and it isn't), then buy orange UT gear instead of UT gear that is the opponent's color.

Also...it was 57 degrees and sunny. I was in a polo at kickoff. An orange one.

Reactions: Offset Eye
I have a hard time believing that folks can afford a ticket to a game at Neyland, but can't afford an orange pullover. I saw plenty of black around me...and a lot of it was black UT gear. In fact, I'm not sure I saw any that wasn't. So if money is the issue (and it isn't), then buy orange UT gear instead of UT gear that is the opponent's color.

But Greg, if it was UT gear, what does it matter? When I went to the UK game, I wore a black jacket but my Orange hat. Except for a Checkerboard Neyland game, I just don't buy into having to wear solid Orange. I have plenty of Orange (and white) polos and golf shirts I wear on hot weather game days and I have an Orange sweatshirt and an Orange sweater that I wear on chilly days but I'm just not going to buy an Orange heavy coat just to wear a couple of times a year.

At Saturday's Vandy game, I'll probably wear a Smoky gray vest over my Orange sweatshirt and my Orange cap. I won't be mistaken for a Black 'n' Gold guy but I won't be in solid Orange either. Just my two cents, which is more than it's worth.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
The attendance was dismal at best, which was a surprise to me. I went to knoxville expecting to see a huge crowd after the way we beat Kentucky. If I had to guess, I would say 70-80,000 in attendance. I saw someone on another thread post a comment saying they expect next weekend to be packed out with Vol fans. If we can't get more fans to show up on Senior day, coming off a HUGE win against a #11 ranked team, I don't see a snowball chance in hell that we pack the Vandy game. For the record, yes, there were some Missouri fans at the game, not that many, most folks had grey and black outer wear on.

This^

I think our attendance has lacked all season really.

Reactions: Sara Clark
So, is Smoky gray acceptable attire? They sure sell a lot of it.
Evidently to some, if it isn't orange, it isn't acceptable. My favorite Vols sweatshirt right now is Smoky Gray. Some of the Championship sweatshirts were light gray like normal sweats. I guess we should check with Big O to see what color to wear each Saturday?

1. I'm glad they don't allow smoking anywhere inside the confines of the stadium.
2. If a dude wants to be a flag person, so be it. NO, NEVER, NO WAY, **** NO!
3. Nothing wrong with Happy Holidays. After all, it was BEFORE Thanksgiving, so there are multiple holidays coming up.
4. As much as it pains me to say it, the Pride IS stale. I'm very much a traditionalist and nostalgic BUT just about everything they do needs upgrading--from The Salute to the Hill, to the pre-game show, to the halftime show is the same as it was 15 years ago. Sure, they need to play the fight song, the alma mater and Rocky Top (which is not the fight song) but can't we have some new stuff thrown in. Even the Game of Thrones theme (which I like) is now dated. And let's cut them some slack to be innovative by cutting back on the piped-in music. The band's permanent staff seems to be too hidebound and reluctant to change.
5. Do we still have cheerleaders? That's something we could improve on too: various chants that bring in the entire stadium.
6. You're right about never showing replays of "the bad plays."

The "non-football" activities have just gotten stale. The most emotional "non-football" event for me in a long time was the on the field introduction of John Ward at last year's Vanderbilt game. Not ashamed to say that tears were streaming down my face. My daughter asked why. Told her how John Ward dominated my autumn Saturdays as a kid. Had never been to the Hill but felt like I imagined it, even the chill in the air, through John Ward.

Anyone know where I can get a gold jersey with UT logo on it?

Asking for a friend that is going to the game Saturday.....

Reactions: NighthawkVol
1. I'm glad they don't allow smoking anywhere inside the confines of the stadium.
The smell of a really dank cigar takes me back to my childhood (mid-late 80’s ) when it seemed like every male over the age of 15 and even a few of the womenfolk were puffing on a good ol Roi Tan. Ahhh the good old days, when little kids could be exposed to second hand smoke and were made to sit there and like it. Not like these Motorboating under the table mothers we have today..... whoops got my threads mixed up

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Vanderbilt had an announced crowd of less than 25,000 for their game against Ole Miss. While I wasn't able to attend the last UT home game, a group of us will be at the Vandy game. Very tired of Vandy beating us so much lately but with this team, you never know. Glad not night game.

But Greg, if it was UT gear, what does it matter? When I went to the UK game, I wore a black jacket but my Orange hat. Except for a Checkerboard Neyland game, I just don't buy into having to wear solid Orange. I have plenty of Orange (and white) polos and golf shirts I wear on hot weather game days and I have an Orange sweatshirt and an Orange sweater that I wear on chilly days but I'm just not going to buy an Orange heavy coat just to wear a couple of times a year.

At Saturday's Vandy game, I'll probably wear a Smoky gray vest over my Orange sweatshirt and my Orange cap. I won't be mistaken for a Black 'n' Gold guy but I won't be in solid Orange either. Just my two cents, which is more than it's worth.

Yes, it matters. Because it makes the stadium look like it’s full of opposing fans. Why is it that our fans wait until we’re playing Vandy or Missouri to start wearing a bunch of black stuff? The stadium isn’t full of black stuff against UF, Bama, or UGA. But suddenly, when our opponents are teams with black as their primary color, a bunch of UT fans decide it’s time to wear black instead of orange.

Makes total sense. :rolleyes:

I think our attendance has lacked all season really.

This is happening all over in football this year. I have had lower level end zone under cover season tickets for nearly 40 years and if I am not going to the game, had never had any problem selling even the games like Charlotte at face until this year. Ended up giving away to family the games I could not attend. I received emails from the UT ticket office the weeks of the FL and AL games offering tickets, and they were not sellouts. I also have Vandy tickets and got an email from them yesterday that tickets for the UT game are still available. I go to some Titans games and even the Patriots game a couple of weeks ago was not a full house, and with plenty of Brady fans there.

There is just so much more competition for time and dollars these days.

Yes, it matters. Because it makes the stadium look like it’s full of opposing fans. Why is it that our fans wait until we’re playing Vandy or Missouri to start wearing a bunch of black stuff? The stadium isn’t full of black stuff against UF, Bama, or UGA. But suddenly, when our opponents are teams with black as their primary color, a bunch of UT fans decide it’s time to wear black instead of orange.

Makes total sense. :rolleyes:

I get it, but Greg you're a smart guy and you know why we don't wear black against UF, Bama and UGA: those games are played when it's hot. All of my heavy coats are black, Navy or grey. But don't worry; I won't wear black Saturday at The Dud. It's be Orange.

I get it, but Greg you're a smart guy and you know why we don't wear black against UF, Bama and UGA: those games are played when it's hot. All of my heavy coats are black, Navy or grey. But don't worry; I won't wear black Saturday at The Dud. It's be Orange.

Of course I get that. But I don’t get why, if people are buying cold weather UT gear, they have to buy that in black rather than in orange. I have no problem finding orange UT cold weather gear.

I’ll be in orange at the Dud too. And loud. Here’s hoping we get a big win and a bowl bid, my orange-clad brother. ;)

I get it, but Greg you're a smart guy .
mehhh... Greg is an ok guy as far as smart guys go..... but only in a mildly condescending way. He knows a little about historical items, like random facts about George Cafego , but very little about GameDay fashion. Am I right “Greg “?

Sincerely “JRAVOL78” 😉😁

Reactions: NighthawkVol

Sometimes just because you can afford something doesn’t mean it is smart to buy it. I’m not paying $150 or more for a coat I’ll wear once or twice per year.

Sometimes just because you can afford something doesn’t mean it is smart to buy it. I’m not paying $150 or more for a coat I’ll wear once or twice per year.

This.

These days I pretty much only buy Patagonia outerwear for the life-time warranty, and the quality of the product. I'm not going to waste money on a jacket that's sub-par in function and quality, just because it's UT orange.

This.

These days I pretty much only buy Patagonia outerwear for the life-time warranty, and the quality of the product. I'm not going to waste money on a jacket that's sub-par in function and quality, just because it's UT orange.

I buy what my wife shops for, and what my buddy gets us a hellacious discount for. i really dont care.

i will say the Patagonia base layer stuff is the best out there.

Again...I saw copious amounts of black UT gear. Not Patagonia, not non-sports items...UT gear. That’s black. Or dark grey.

If one is only wearing UT gear once or twice a year, I’m not sure why one would choose to buy it in black, wear it for games against schools whose primary color is black, then shelve it for a year...to bring it back out for Vandy and Missouri next year...

Just wear orange against Vandy and Missouri instead of their colors, people. This isn’t hard.

VN Store

Back