Arnett to transfer?

So, again, if this was a kid from TN that was trying to transfer out of MSU to come to UT or Vandy, you would be ok with Mark Dantonio saying he would release the kid to go to Carson Newman, but not UT or Vandy?

I don't think this is the coaches policy. There are NCAA ruies and university rules. Dooley is just a coach like Dantonio. Their bosses are pulling the strings. It is what it is. I am sure there is more to this story.

The main reason DA is leaving is because of his brother. His brother has been working behind the scenes with one particular school since CBB left. He will not be able to attend that school unless he pays his own way the first year. Im sure more will come out as time goes on.

His brother, was the main person pushing him to Tennessee last year.

That's the first thing I've heard that makes Dooley's response sound semi-reasonable, but the PR has been a disaster. Why not just release him to the other major state school?

The excuse is we won't let him go to schools we recruit against yet ironically the bad press will likely do more damage in recruiting.

is he in love with a coach ? :question:

He is in love with the idea of playing in the NFL. Coach Baggett has a long history of putting players in the NFL and coaching WRs in the NFL as well.

It was a pretty sound move to play for cBaggett, but when you play for a school based on who your assistant coach is, and to a greater extent who your HEAD coach is, you risk the chance of being disappointed when/if that coach leaves.

Academics
Proximity to Family
Program reputation (includes coaches, conference, etc)
Position Coaches
Ability to make it to the next level

That is somewhat close to the order that kids should be weighing school choices. If academics dont matter, or if proximity doesnt matter, then you mark them off the list. But apparently proximity to family mattered more than other things for dArnett. EDIT: let me rephrase that. APPARENTLY his position coach mattered more than proximity, and now that his position coach is gone, proximity to family is all that matters. But he signed to play for the school, not the coach. I understand Dooleys position, but I also understand the kids position. Tough spot.

sigh, it is a tired, and tiring subject. Hopefully this is all over soon and everyone can move on. It sucks for everyone involved, imo

Last edited:
He is in love with the idea of playing in the NFL. Coach Baggett has a long history of putting players in the NFL and coaching WRs in the NFL as well.

It was a pretty sound move to play for cBaggett, but when you play for a school based on who your assistant coach is, and to a greater extent who your HEAD coach is, you risk the chance of being disappointed when/if that coach leaves.

Academics
Proximity to Family
Position Coaches

That is somewhat close to the order that kids should be weighing school choices. If academics dont matter, or if proximity doesnt matter, then you mark them off the list. But apparently proximity to family mattered more than other things for dArnett. EDIT: let me rephrase that. APPARENTLY his position coach mattered more than proximity, and now that his position coach is gone, proximity to family is all that matters. But he signed to play for the school, not the coach. I understand Dooleys position, but I also understand the kids position. Tough spot.

sigh, it is a tired, and tiring subject. Hopefully this is all over soon and everyone can move on. It sucks for everyone involved, imo

Somebody is in this kid's ear giving him bad advice if the NFL is his goal. Staying in an offensive system that you know is much better than trying to follow a coach around, IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
Somebody is in this kid's ear giving him bad advice if the NFL is his goal. Staying in an offensive system that you know is much better than trying to follow a coach around, IMO.

The person in his ear is most likely his brother. I do not know the family, but I know a little about the hardships they are going through. They live in a tough area, they are going through tough times. (none if this is an effort to make an excuse for them. No Excuses. Ever)

In my opinion, and just my opinion, his brother sees a lot for the family to gain from this kid and he is trying his best to make it happen. Im not saying that is wrong, because there are a lot of us who are hoping for a little brother, or a kid, to make it big someday and bail our butts out of this sad little life. But I think he is going about it in a way that is doing more harm than good. Big Brother is not exactly classing the place up.

:crazy:

The person in his ear is most likely his brother. I do not know the family, but I know a little about the hardships they are going through. They live in a tough area, they are going through tough times. (none if this is an effort to make an excuse for them. No Excuses. Ever)

In my opinion, and just my opinion, his brother sees a lot for the family to gain from this kid and he is trying his best to make it happen. Im not saying that is wrong, because there are a lot of us who are hoping for a little brother, or a kid, to make it big someday and bail our butts out of this sad little life. But I think he is going about it in a way that is doing more harm than good. Big Brother is not exactly classing the place up.

:crazy:
A situation with a "handler" is never a good situation for any of the parties involved. This is the kind of thing that gets the AA's attention.

A situation with a "handler" is never a good situation for any of the parties involved. This is the kind of thing that gets the AA's attention.

Yeah, I agree.

I would like to see this kid just sign on with Central Michigan Univ. and spend 3 years there doing the best he can. If he is good enough to be a pro, the NFL will find him there.

I understand that kids sometimes pick a school based on the coach they will play for, but this was a colossal screw up on the part of the Arnett family. cBaggett is a great guy, a great coach, and has a solid reputation. But anytime you are picking a school you have to think "what would i do if this coach leaves". If the answer is "transfer", then you are in the wrong place.

All of that being said, the relationship between dArnett and his dad has improved immensely since the beginning of summer. And his health has went straight into the terlit in that amount of time also.

Tough spot. I dont envy any of the people involved.

The more this goes on the more likely the NCAA is to go sniffing around. In fact, I couldn't understand why he was so worried about a waiver that he should easily get if his story is legit --no Dooley to stop him there. But now I'm thinking the reason is that he, brother, and whoever moneybags is in this situation don't want the NCAA sniffing around at all. They're plain paranoid about it imo it doesn't make much since to be paranoid about a hardship transfer UNLESS they either feel guilty or are scared to death they didn't cover their tracks too well.

The pressure of doing something you know is wrong can make you do all sorts of stupid things -- like an email blast to the media without realizing a simple waiver solves all your problems.

Last edited:

Academics
Proximity to Family
Position Coaches

For most players academics rates pretty low, look at Vandy's recruiting success the last decade, for example. You can fly anywhere as long as the school has a major airport. Proximity to family not that big.

I think what recruits are looking for is more along these lines:

1) Playing time
2) Coaching
3) Facilities
4) Win/Compete for championships
5) Competition level of conference, play the best
6) Academics/campus

For most players academics rates pretty low, look at Vandy's recruiting success the last decade, for example. You can fly anywhere as long as the school has a major airport. Proximity to family not that big.

I think what recruits are looking for is more along these lines:

1) Playing time
2) Coaching
3) Facilities
4) Win/Compete for championships
5) Competition level of conference, play the best
6) Academics/campus

Yeah, my list was made a little in haste, but my point is that if a player wants his family to see him play, he needs to play somewhere that is a reasonable place for his family to travel to.

Right now the Arnett family cannot afford to travel to TN, to East Lansing, or Mt Pleasant. But there is certainly a monetary difference between TN and MI schools. He should have thought about that ahead of time. He wanted them to see him play and he didnt set it up to happen with his choice of schools.

TN was a great choice for him as a player. It was a lousy choice for him as a member of the Arnett family. Just my opinion

Its pitiful that some of you are set on making a kid unhappy who has an ill father and is 10 hours away from home. Just let the kid go. I don't even see the reasoning behind not allowing him to MSU or UM and letting him go to the smaller schools. Recruiting? BS. Dooley is just pretending to have a backbone.

Pick one is it about his dad or going to a D-1 school in a major conference. Seems Arnett's advocates think he should get the entire farm because he upped and changed his mind. I hope I never have to do business of any kind with any of you.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back