Are all Middle TN posters okay?

I was trying to remember if I’ve ever heard sirens in Asheville, and I don’t think I have.

We’re a little less vulnerable, being in the lee of the mountains (and still somewhat in them), and our usual concern is flooding along the river beds. But still.

"But still" is a smart and proper take, VolNExile. Tornadoes don't care where you are, they strike where they please. That includes mountains and foothills. They're like honey badgers, they don't care. For anyone who may wish to educate themselves, use GOOGLE, duckduckgo, or any search engine to look up: "Tornado Myths." Hopefully, the information spares someone's well-being.

do we have a post or thread that has links where people can help?

I saw this mentioned in a subreddit, so I donated some here (Middle Tennessee Emergency Response Fund) - Help Middle Tennessee Neighbors In Need

Thanks. I've been waiting for one of those donate by cellphone numbers usually sent out for things like this. Word of caution. Check out any donation collectors as bogus ones show up during times like this. They simply pocket money you send and help nobody but themselves. Others of known organizations, the bulk of the funds goes into CEO and other managerial personnel pockets with very little used for helping people who need it. Just be sure. We Americans often desire to help and there are some groups who exploit this for selfish purposes. Make sure your money goes to those who really help the folks you want to help. This is my last post on the thread. I just want to help.

Before Giving to a Charity

Thanks. I've been waiting for one of those donate by cellphone numbers usually sent out for things like this. Word of caution. Check out any donation collectors as bogus ones show up during times like this. They simply pocket money you send and help nobody but themselves. Others of known organizations, the bulk of the funds goes into CEO and other managerial personnel pockets with very little used for helping people who need it. Just be sure. We Americans often desire to help and there are some groups who exploit this for selfish purposes. Make sure your money goes to those who really help the folks you want to help. This is my last post on the thread. I just want to help.

Before Giving to a Charity
Very good point. When Gatlinburg had those fires a few years ago, people learned to donate to local charities only and told the Red Cross to go away. I forget the numbers, but little to none of the donations made to the Red Cross would have actually gone to help the residents of the fire.

Reactions: tbh and WoodsmanVol
I was trying to remember if I’ve ever heard sirens in Asheville, and I don’t think I have.

We’re a little less vulnerable, being in the lee of the mountains (and still somewhat in them), and our usual concern is flooding along the river beds. But still.

Always like downtown Ashville. Also been in the mall quite a few times there, probably the older one I suppose going way of the north bypass. And have been in the old bowling alley numerous times. some rafting on the Nantahala. Went to church camp in Black Mountain for many, many years (over 30 straight) and the last night the teen group would go in for bowling and then stay up all night. When I got too old to be a teen, stayed with them and helped out.

Reactions: VolNExile
Very good point. When Gatlinburg had those fires a few years ago, people learned to donate to local charities only and told the Red Cross to go away. I forget the numbers, but little to none of the donations made to the Red Cross would have actually gone to help the residents of the fire.

Even if you're not particularly religious, find a local church involved in the help and relief effort. You can specifically designate a contribution to them be used for that. 100% of those funds will pass through. And they will have a good pulse on what is going on. The larger churches may have inhouse food, shelter, monetary, and clothing provisions set up that it can go towards. In Cookeville, you can contact places like Collegeside, Jefferson Ave, Sycamore churches of Christ. Life Church. Church on the Hill. 1st Baptist/Methodist. These would all be some of the large ones in town. Not sure about the others, but Collegeside CoC is set up on their website to accept debit/credit contributions, and you can specify what it goes toward.

I live in one of the neighborhoods that got the most hit and was on the scene at several homes within 10 mins. In most cases all that was left was foundations then the house spread all over the place. It was the kind of stuff you think you’re only going to see in the movies.

Saw Charleton Estates area a little bit this morning. Devastating is an understatement of what you guys went through that live in those areas. Heard they are now trying to determine if there were not two twisters on the ground at same time.

To the person caught in the wee hours of the morning after the storm looting houses for prescription drugs, and to the person arrested last night trying to loot copper, and to anyone not caught yet taking advantage of people in disaster crisis, I sincerely hope they invent new maximum sentences for you.

Hit less than a mile from me in Lebanon. My wife was begging me to go down stairs and take cover. I was watching and it was in mt Juliet at the time and I kept telling her we were fine and had plenty of time. I was wrong. The power went out what seemed like less than 5 minutes later. And we heard the sounds of a freight train going by. It moved so fast. Tracked for 50 miles which seems unheard of. Thankful my family is ok. We didn't have power for 2 days. My sister still doesn't have power. She lives very close to where it hit in MJ. Taking off work today to volunteer for clean up. If anyone else is interested in clean up they meet at the Lebanon police Dept today and tomorrow at 9 and they bus you to a location. And if you want to help on MJ they are working 2 shifts 8-12 and 1-6 and meeting at the Mount Juliet Wal Mart today and tomorrow.

Hit less than a mile from me in Lebanon. My wife was begging me to go down stairs and take cover. I was watching and it was in mt Juliet at the time and I kept telling her we were fine and had plenty of time. I was wrong. The power went out what seemed like less than 5 minutes later. And we heard the sounds of a freight train going by. It moved so fast. Tracked for 50 miles which seems unheard of. Thankful my family is ok. We didn't have power for 2 days. My sister still doesn't have power. She lives very close to where it hit in MJ. Taking off work today to volunteer for clean up. If anyone else is interested in clean up they meet at the Lebanon police Dept today and tomorrow at 9 and they bus you to a location. And if you want to help on MJ they are working 2 shifts 8-12 and 1-6 and meeting at the Mount Juliet Wal Mart today and tomorrow.

And anyone looking to volunteer in Cookeville, this morning they said there will be registrations today for Saturday/Sunday volunteering and you will receive an arm band that will permit you into the affected areas on Saturday. Without arm band, cannot get in. Unfortunately, missed the part about where to go and register but i'm sure you can go to the volunteer water tent close to the main intersection of the disaster and get info.

Reactions: Cdrnek
I would suggest an Android phone app called My Radar. Is the best thing since sliced bread for radar on your phone. It is just as behind as any of them are but it works nearly instantly. We have warnings all night on Monday but the warnings are county wide. I was able to see where the weather was and not worry about my wife in the hospital or me at home.

I would suggest an Android phone app called My Radar. Is the best thing since sliced bread for radar on your phone. It is just as behind as any of them are but it works nearly instantly. We have warnings all night on Monday but the warnings are county wide. I was able to see where the weather was and not worry about my wife in the hospital or me at home.
Cool I'm gonna look into it. I tried pulling something up real quick when the power went out but was useless. Weather channel app is garbage

Reactions: VolNExile
Cool I'm gonna look into it. I tried pulling something up real quick when the power went out but was useless. Weather channel app is garbage
I think you will be surprised. Works great for me in W. KY where our service can best be described as crap.

Problem here in Cookeville was the damaged Verizon towers either here or Nashville way. So, when power went out shutting down wi-fi, cell phone was suddenly useless as well. Wife ordered weather radio off amazon. Cell service still sketchy depending on where I'm at.

Problem here in Cookeville was the damaged Verizon towers either here or Nashville way. So, when power went out shutting down wi-fi, cell phone was suddenly useless as well. Wife ordered weather radio off amazon. Cell service still sketchy depending on where I'm at.

not surprised at all at that....hurricanes and tornadoes take down towers easily. During Katrina recovery and I suspect now as well, satellite communication devices were the only reliable way to communicate.
anyone have any experience with Sirius or anything else similar?

I'm sorry for all the loses. being from Utah I don't have to worry about or would I know what to do in a tornado. god speed and good luck

VN Store

Back