Anyone think Pons will really officially declare for the draft

OrangeBeachVol

I saw an article that he is getting positive grades. I'm sure all of us fans will think he needs more work but if the draft position is high enough would be hard to turn down the $.

He isn't a first round pick, so no I don't think he leaves. He will probably test the waters for sure, but IMO the only way he isn't on this roster next season is if he decides he'd rather go back overseas for a year, make real money, and hope that improves his draft stock.

There is no reason he shouldn’t declare and test the waters, whatever process there may actually be this year...collect all the feedback and date he possibly can and then either come back for his senior year or declare for the draft based on what he was told.

There is no reason he shouldn’t declare and test the waters, whatever process there may actually be this year...collect all the feedback and date he possibly can and then either come back for his senior year or declare for the draft based on what he was told.
This.

Reactions: beamerman
Selfishly, I hope he does zero workouts. Anybody with two working eye balls would fall in love with what pons has to offer.

.... and that turned out sounding very sexual. 😂

Correct me if I am wrong but was the benefit before it declaring getting to go to the combine to get more in-depth feedback ?

If so that isn’t happening this year so I assume the benefit of declaring is greatly diminished

Reactions: RyanWalkerPGH
On the offensive end, Pons really needs to work on using his right hand. The defenders are badly overplaying him to defend the left hand.

If he could spin to his left and become accurate with right hand shooting, his stock would soar.

Definitely needs one more year, either at UT or Europe, before trying G League.

Reactions: beamerman
From my perspective, Pons on the surface looks like one of those gambles that many NBA teams make.

The hyper athletic player with potential who lacks A, B or C on their game. A player to develop.

Only like 1/10 of those kinds of players work out.

For every Giannis there are 9 Caleb Swanigan type busts.

Maybe I’m biased, but Pons likely has less bust potential cause I think he is smarter and has a better work ethic than the average. Somebody might find that in his scouting report and be willing to gamble on him.

You would not draft Pons for what he can be now, but what he could be in 4 years

From my perspective, Pons on the surface looks like one of those gambles that many NBA teams make.

The hyper athletic player with potential who lacks A, B or C on their game. A player to develop.

Only like 1/10 of those kinds of players work out.

For every Giannis there are 9 Caleb Swanigan type busts.

Maybe I’m biased, but Pons likely has less bust potential cause I think he is smarter and has a better work ethic than the average. Somebody might find that in his scouting report and be willing to gamble on him.

You would not draft Pons for what he can be now, but what he could be in 4 years
Also, a team can stash Pons overseas for a year or two and not have to use a roster spot.

Anybody who has a chance should test the waters, NBA money is huge! I would think he should come back and try to become a 1st rounder. Needs a mid range jumper to go with his other skills.

From what I know about the NBA (which is not much) they love super athletic players that play good defense. They also oftentimes draft for "upside" rather than skill. Pons has a lot of upside, but there is still some development that needs to happen before he reaches his potential. That being said I have no idea if he will leave, but if he is projected as a first rounder he should leave. I would hate it but it likely is the best for him, no telling what the next year will bring.

Reactions: Manning Up
In my earlier post I alluded to this but what is the process now ?

From my view there is no process to go thru
This year I’m guessing it will be different but I believe they typically go through workouts and get an official grade w an assessment of their game

My guess is they are still going to get feedback from scouts/teams/gm’s...even if that is based off of game tape and practice film submitted that is more info than they would get not submitting, no reason not to.

My guess is they are still going to get feedback from scouts/teams/gm’s...even if that is based off of game tape and practice film submitted that is more info than they would get not submitting, no reason not to.

Can’t they get that anyway?

I was thinking there was
Two different processes. One was to submit a request for feedback and then the more serious one of declaring for the draft which allows for the combine and workouts. The declaring wouldn’t matter this year unless I am wrong

I read the other day where he hit 44% of his "uncontested" 3s where he was able square up and get a clean look. That is the kind of duty he would be asked to do offensively and that's a pretty good %. Nobody expects him to create his own shots.

Of course, this is my biggest pet peeve with the NBA game ... one guy tries to beat somebody off the bounce while a bunch of 6'10 and 7' guys position themselves in around he arc waiting for a catch and shoot. The defense has to keep the ball in front while the other 4 defenders make a decision as to who will have to play help on the dribbler. If they bite to help, then its a quick toss and a open 3. If defense on the arc rotates to help it's one more pass from arc to arc, then shoot.

Boring as crud compared to the beautiful game of the 70s, 80s, or 90s before the 3ball parade began. I can hardly stand to watch it. All MHO.

Bottom line: If Pons can consistently be a catch & shoot statue from the arc, his defense and athleticism may carve him a place in the league. I could see him in the Dennis Rodman mold from an athletic, rebounding, and multi-spot defensive ace standpoint. Not the personna of course.

Reactions: iKrager
Prolly end up playing in Europe because he wants to. Somebody told me he was married...? That would affect a lot. Where does the little lady want to live ? Hope the “French connection” sticks around

He isn't a first round pick, so no I don't think he leaves. He will probably test the waters for sure, but IMO the only way he isn't on this roster next season is if he decides he'd rather go back overseas for a year, make real money, and hope that improves his draft stock.
That’s just it. He did get a first round grade by an analyst.

That’s just it. He did get a first round grade by an analyst.

He's gotten one first round grade. Most analysts have him as a mid to late second round pick from what I have seen. Some don't even have him drafted. I mean I'm 100% Team Pons so I think he should test the waters and see what feedback he gets. I just don't think he is a first round pick yet and I don't think he has the same thought process as Jordan Bone. I doubt Pons risks it all for a late second round pick and no guaranteed money. He'd benefit more from one more year under Barnes.

He can talk and interview with NBA personnel, learn about what skills they like in his game, areas he needs to improve, and such. Even if he can't workout, he can still get an idea of who likes him enough to give him a draft grade/promise, and decide based on interest from teams whether it is in his best interest to stay in the draft or pull out. He can also hire an agent who work on his behalf with teams and with endorsement deals. Still lots of reasons to declare as a junior, and literally no reason not to, for him.

VN Store

Back