Anyone think Pons will really officially declare for the draft

His focus was more on blocks than rebounding, but maybe that was by CRB’s design as part of the team defense? All those blocked shots are what got him noticed and are now why he’s getting some draft talk IMO.

Reactions: VOLED
His focus was more on blocks than rebounding, but maybe that was by CRB’s design as part of the team defense? All those blocked shots are what got him noticed and are now why he’s getting some draft talk IMO.

I agree that’s why he won SEC defensive player of the year. I just have a hunch that Barnes would say he gambled for the block too often off the help side. Just my guess

I agree that’s why he won SEC defensive player of the year. I just have a hunch that Barnes would say he gambled for the block too often off the help side. Just my guess
Actually Barnes said the complete opposite recently, talked about how many “fix it” plays Pons had where his teammates got beat and said he was the teams best defender.

Actually Barnes said the complete opposite recently, talked about how many “fix it” plays Pons had where his teammates got beat and said he was the teams best defender.

Sure it would nice for others not to get beat.
That’s obvious and if Barnes thinks he’s the best defender that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have room for improvement.

Sure it would nice for others not to get beat.
That’s obvious and if Barnes thinks he’s the best defender that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have room for improvement.

Wasn’t responding to that, was responding to your insinuation of what Barnes would say, he seemed to be very happy with how Pons played defense.

Wasn’t responding to that, was responding to your insinuation of what Barnes would say, he seemed to be very happy with how Pons played defense.

As am I very happy with his defense. Just saying I think he can improve and that might mean his block numbers go down

As am I very happy with his defense. Just saying I think he can improve and that might mean his block numbers go down

Maybe...someone would have to watch every second of him and chart his attempts of a block. How many did he attempt to block and not block that directly resulted in a basket verse how many he attempted to block and either blocked or effected and thus didn’t result in a make.

My guess is that the staff has a pretty good idea of those stats by watching game film over and over, and I’m guessing they feel his aggressiveness in blocking shots outweighs those that result in baskets.

Maybe...someone would have to watch every second of him and chart his attempts of a block. How many did he attempt to block and not block that directly resulted in a basket verse how many he attempted to block and either blocked or effected and thus didn’t result in a make.

My guess is that the staff has a pretty good idea of those stats by watching game film over and over, and I’m guessing they feel his aggressiveness in blocking shots outweighs those that result in baskets.
Overall, team defense was lower than the previous two years. I think Pons cleaned up a lot of mistakes. Makes for good stat sheet and individual accolades but not the best overall result. If his blocks go down that could be a good thing.

The real question is can Pons straight up guard the four and be affective.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Good luck if that’s the case.

Still think he could have used another year to improve his draft stock.

He needs to come back but then again his touches probably gonna drop abit. You Still starts and plays 24-29 mins but we got Aniosike (misspelled) ON a full year in system and idk about Plasovic if he soft still he sits. All the threes he was jacking may go to Springer, Johnson, Vescovi, James and Bailey. Hands down best defender on team tho.
Probably a lot. Let’s say though he gets 12 touches a game, takes 2 threes, hits half. Gets 4 mid range and 4 right at rim. Smart use with the touches would be a showcase for the next level. He needs to have the mindset he can score whenever and however he wants when he has the ball, ala Grant Williams. His defense is already next level. Another year would be spectacular.

It's a moot issue. No one is playing basketball this year. Hopefully it will be back next year, but there won't be any NBA, college, or high school ball this year. Mark it.

NCAA won’t miss out on a 2nd tournament in a row. They got caught flat footed this time but will find a way to secure the tourney next year even if that means playing on a park blacktop or an aircraft carrier. There’s just too much money involved.

Reactions: The Dog
NCAA won’t miss out on a 2nd tournament in a row. They got caught flat footed this time but will find a way to secure the tourney next year even if that means playing on a park blacktop or an aircraft carrier. There’s just too much money involved.
I certainly hope and pray that there will be basketball this winter, but the NCAA and the NBA don’t have the final say. The Coronavirus has the final word. If the pandemic crops back up in the fall and winter as many experts are suggesting, we could be back in the same circumstances as we have now. Let’s face it, life is not going to be the same for the next year or two, if not longer.
I hope everyone does a good job with socIal distancing and other interventions, but the actions of many pandemic deniers doesn’t give me much confidence in the outcome.
Don’t get me wrong, my fervent wish is that the virus kind of “goes away”’ this summer, but in a country of 330 million people still divided in their perceptions of the seriousness of the pandemic, I don’t have much hope....

VN Store

Back