Anyone think Pons will really officially declare for the draft

He's gotten one first round grade. Most analysts have him as a mid to late second round pick from what I have seen. Some don't even have him drafted. I mean I'm 100% Team Pons so I think he should test the waters and see what feedback he gets. I just don't think he is a first round pick yet and I don't think he has the same thought process as Jordan Bone. I doubt Pons risks it all for a late second round pick and no guaranteed money. He'd benefit more from one more year under Barnes.
Sounds similar to what was happening with Grant

Sounds similar to what was happening with Grant

Uhm, not at all lol. Grant was a consensus first round pick by most draft analysts and a few even predicted he could potentially sneak into the lottery if a few weird things went his way. Everyone knew Grant was leaving and most people told him he should go.

Uhm, not at all lol. Grant was a consensus first round pick by most draft analysts and a few even predicted he could potentially sneak into the lottery if a few weird things went his way. Everyone knew Grant was leaving and most people told him he should go.

Not really. There was a lot of talk about grant being late first or early second rounder. Many here argued he should come back

Matisse Thybulle was selected last year 20th overall. He was a great defender but an awful (by NBA wing draft standards) offensive player at Washington.

Pons has noticeable holes with his offensive game and he isnt at Thybulle's level defensively but Pons is still a better offensive player.

Eventually.
Grant’s draft stock rose pretty significantly from the early projections. Some had Admiral higher. If Pons declares and went through workouts like Grant did, then his stock might soar.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think Pons is a first rounder. Hey, I don’t think Grant should have been either. Still don’t. What I do know is that Pons is one of the best athletes out there. A much better athlete than Grant.

Matisse Thybulle was selected last year 20th overall. He was a great defender but an awful (by NBA wing draft standards) offensive player at Washington.

Pons has noticeable holes with his offensive game and he isnt at Thybulle's level defensively but Pons is still a better offensive player.
Nope and a mistake if he does I think!

Not really. There was a lot of talk about grant being late first or early second rounder. Many here argued he should come back
I feel like a lot of those were hoping he would come back instead of actually thinking he should.

It's a moot issue. No one is playing basketball this year. Hopefully it will be back next year, but there won't be any NBA, college, or high school ball this year. Mark it.

One way it’s becoming increasingly apparent that could happen is for Yves Pons to forego his senior year and enter the NBA draft. That wasn’t a thought on the minds of many people prior to this last season, but Pons’ name is routinely popping up in the second round of NBA mock drafts, as high as No. 32 on the one released by NBCsports.com this week.
The question is though, will there be an NBA pre-draft camp this year, and if so, when? Will prospects be able to workout for teams and will Pons and other underclassmen have an opportunity to get feedback and make an informed decision? Like everything else in the world of sports there’s a lot of unknowns at the moment.
-VQ

He needs to come back but then again his touches probably gonna drop abit. You Still starts and plays 24-29 mins but we got Aniosike (misspelled) ON a full year in system and idk about Plasovic if he soft still he sits. All the threes he was jacking may go to Springer, Johnson, Vescovi, James and Bailey. Hands down best defender on team tho.

By the time combine had rolled around GW was pretty much consensus 1st rounder, but even if it was 1st and early 2nd, that’s better than what Pons is getting projected as. Literally one outlet I have seen shows him 1st round, and most I have seen don’t have him getting drafted at all.

It's a moot issue. No one is playing basketball this year. Hopefully it will be back next year, but there won't be any NBA, college, or high school ball this year. Mark it.
I did not think there will be any football this year but too early to say about basketball.

I’m still fairly confident we won’t be losing Pons but who knows. I can’t believe I’m actually saying this now but losing Pons would really hurt for next season. All the pieces are on the board for what could be a special year, and if he left, outside of a coup with Cisse, this team will be worse off.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Basketball is indoors during sickness season. It's not happening at the collegiate level. I think the pros will figure out a way. I'm really upset about it. Next year's team would have been amazing. Hopefully, most of them stay on board for 2021-2022.

I think we’re back in the waters of “no knows how things will shake out yet”. I can state my opinions but I would never be dogmatic either way. I personally think we’ll see NBA and college basketball this season. It absolutely may not look like our models in recent years though. Again JMO.

Reactions: sport3500
I’m still fairly confident we won’t be losing Pons but who knows. I can’t believe I’m actually saying this now but losing Pons would really hurt for next season. All the pieces are on the board for what could be a special year, and if he left, outside of a coup with Cisse, this team will be worse off.
Until he learns how to dribble I don't think he's a prospect. He's too small to play the 4 at the next level. His tape this year probably doesn't have 5 plays where he dribbled successful more than 2 bounces. He's got legit talent and work ethic but he's a big liability offensively at the next level.

Reactions: VOLED
Until he learns how to dribble I don't think he's a prospect. He's too small to play the 4 at the next level. His tape this year probably doesn't have 5 plays where he dribbled successful more than 2 bounces. He's got legit talent and work ethic but he's a big liability offensively at the next level.

Agreed. He's a project, and one that could bear fruit long term, but I don't think he's there yet. He still terrifies me every single time he dribbles the basketball or is required to do anything on the offensive end except rebound and take the occasional set jump-shot.

The good thing is this past year we needed him desperately to make something happen because of our limited options on the floor. Next year, he can play his role and play his game, because we will have a wealth of scoring options. That's one of the biggest reasons I'm so excited for next year. We're actually deep for once and our guys can play the role that accentuates their strengths. Nearly our entire roster this year was forced to play positions outside of their skill set (i.e Josiah at point, Fulky at the 5, Bowden at point). That won't happen next year.

If he can improve his handle and keep working on his shot, he could play a 3 on an NBA team. That is his spot on any pro roster. Dale Ellis really didn't handle the ball well but he worked and developed a deadly 3 ball as a small forward. Pons should look to do something similar.

If he can improve his handle and keep working on his shot, he could play a 3 on an NBA team. That is his spot on any pro roster. Dale Ellis really didn't handle the ball well but he worked and developed a deadly 3 ball as a small forward. Pons should look to do something similar.
It's a good comparison but Dale Ellis had a ton more moves, especially in the post, than Pons straight line style. Ellis was always a polished shooter as well. Folks forget that Dale was great defensively too. He once stood toe to toe with big Ralph! I think Pons future is to play overseas and I'd be surprised if he ever made an NBA roster. I could see him making the Globetrotters over an NBA team.

I want Pons on our team next year, but I'd be pretty pumped to see him picked in the 2nd round. That would be an incredible achievement by him and the staff after where he started three years ago.

He’d be making a huge mistake. It’s a bigger jump from college to pro now than it is high school to college. It wasn’t that way years ago.

I want Pons on our team next year, but I'd be pretty pumped to see him picked in the 2nd round. That would be an incredible achievement by him and the staff after where he started three years ago.
Really, wasn’t he the highest rated player under Barnes up until this signing class?

Really, wasn’t he the highest rated player under Barnes up until this signing class?
I think Pons was a top 75 player. Definitely, one of Barnes highest recruits, before this year. Still, despite his rating, he has shown mad improvement in his game under Barnes. Barnes and company deserve some credit for developing Pons into a potential NBA draft pick, imo

Reactions: sport3500

VN Store

Back